Religion The CHEESE WARS! Carringbush2010 hears a who!

On a scale of 1 to Carringbush2010, how deeply are you affected by Cheer's name change?

Votes: 7 50.0%

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Carringbush2010

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s talked most of you around to admitting it’s “overly sensitive” through gritted teeth.
Gritted teeth? lol

I straight up accepted that the first time he asked me. But thats not what we're talking about, just what you and he are pretending we're talking about ie. you guys are completely unable to address the concept that having an issue with a person's name is not = to having an issue with a brand name. No one is suggesting that the Coon family descendants of Edward change their surname.

He’s acknowledged why it made sense for them (Kraft) to change the name of the product.
He has? Where?

Would have though his entire argument is that it doesn't make sense.

You guys keep pretending the Niger analogy doesn’t work.
It doesn't. Mind boggling that either of you think it does.

To borrow kranky al's point, do you think there'd be any issue if the cheese was called Conn? Coz that's effectively what you're both arguing.

And thats before we even get to justifications and machinations of name changes of a commercial product vs a nation of people. Its patently absurd.

You put all that work in to this achievement then you don't want the credit?
I did say I was flattered, you know the meaning right?

Secondly I didn’t put the work in, not my thread remember?

I'll take credit for unintentionally getting under the skin of some though, maybe they're being irrational 🤣

This gawnna be a fuun thred!

I did say I was flattered, you know the meaning right?
Oh Jesus this is going to become another thread, isn't it?

"I'm flattered that you think I would do this, but I cannot accept the credit."

In this case, flattered <> accepting credit.

To borrow kranky al's point, do you think there'd be any issue if the cheese was called Conn? Coz that's effectively what you're both arguing.
Nobody would ever make the connection to ‘Coon’ if it was Conn. Can people draw a connection between Niger and the N word? Yes, most people would (even if only in their own mind).

Chief and Gethelred

Off topic, but it looks like someone has put this thread up under my name.

When I look at threads I've contributed it has my avatar as the thread starter.

Not sure why,not fussed, just thought you should know

Nobody would ever make the connection to ‘Coon’ if it was Conn.
We're closing in on it! ;)

Can people draw a connection between Niger and the N word? Yes, most people would (even if only in their own mind).
Would they? Seems anecdotal. Mentioned earlier I've never seen anyone giggle/wink wink nudge nudge over Niger but have over Coon cheese.

In any case its exactly the same difference for both words (one letter which changes the vowel sound). So its objective fact that those mythical people he's pretending exist who should logically also take offence at Niger would by definition be behaving more irrationally (far more imo) than the cheese people. Same word vs different word.

Before we even get the commercial product vs nation stuff, the comparison just doesn't work on the face of it.

We're closing in on it! ;)

Would they? Seems anecdotal. Mentioned earlier I've never seen anyone giggle/wink wink nudge nudge over Niger but have over Coon cheese.

In any case its exactly the same difference for both words (one letter which changes the vowel sound). So its objective fact that those mythical people he's pretending exist who should logically also take offence at Niger would by definition be behaving more irrationally (far more imo) than the cheese people. Same word vs different word.

Before we even get the commercial product vs nation stuff, the comparison just doesn't work on the face of it.
I can remember dickhead giggling about both during primarily school.

In any case “you’re a conn” to a black person would be met with “huh?”

Do you think “you’re a Niger”, even as per the correct pronunciation, is the same? They’d know you’re using it as a slur.

Chief and Gethelred

Off topic, but it looks like someone has put this thread up under my name.

When I look at threads I've contributed it has my avatar as the thread starter.

Not sure why,not fussed, just thought you should know
Yours was the first post moved. You are - ostensibly - the reason this thread exists, due to excessive pedantry and thread hijacking.

This thread is your creation. I thought you deserved the badge it provides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has TWO G's you spoons! "Niger", has ONE.
How is "Niger", the name of a country, involved in this discussion?
Say one (quietly to yourself), then say the other...
lol, you guys.
I love you all really, but Jesus H.

I can remember dickhead giggling about both during primarily school.

In any case “you’re a conn” to a black person would be met with “huh?”

Do you think “you’re a Niger”, even as per the correct pronunciation, is the same? They’d know you’re using it as a slur.
I mean.. maybe? Would depend on the black person in question I suspect, saying it is a bit different again from seeing it in writing.

Pretty sure there'd be a moment of confusion and the response would at least be somewhat different to saying "coon" to them, which is kinda the point.

+1 for the cheese badge please :tearsofjoy:

Nobody would ever make the connection to ‘Coon’ if it was Conn. Can people draw a connection between Niger and the N word? Yes, most people would (even if only in their own mind).
Knee jer.

Conn.

Being that black folk use niger as a christian name with a soft g…. I think you are way off the mark.

A whole "conservative says black people are wrong!" thread!

This is still hilarious.

Knee jer.

Conn.

Being that black folk use niger as a christian name with a soft g…. I think you are way off the mark.
You can’t call them a Niger though!

Regarding your last point I will admit that is news to me, but I don’t think it changes the point.

You can’t call them a Niger though!

Regarding your last point I will admit that is news to me, but I don’t think it changes the point.
It does, they are spelt differently and pronounced differently.

Coon is spelt and pronounced exactly the same as a cheese or an epithet.

Black folk find one offensive and use the other as a christian name.

That’s kinda the end of the argument.

It does, they are spelt differently and pronounced differently.

Coon is spelt and pronounced exactly the same as a cheese or an epithet.

Black folk find one offensive and use the other as a christian name.

That’s kinda the end of the argument.
It’s not, it’s sidestepping the argument lol. Black folk would know exactly what some little prick who called them a “Niger” was up to.

Back