Women's Footy a big success?

Remove this Banner Ad

For the AFL Women's to be doing this immediately after the end of the BBL, well, pretty sure the FFA would never have been counting on that.

Counting doesn't seem to be an FFA strength. Having the W-League final on at the same time as an AFLW match in the same city is pretty unfortunate also.

Its called tall poppy syndrome, i find that sometimes you take it as an insult, other times a compliment.

I think the socceristas led by Simon Shrill are upset with everyone and everything, it is pretty clear the BBL wrecked their clear air and so has now it appears the AFLW, which TBH no one ever predicted.

Surely by now the world game should have us all bent over, the world game fears nothing, we are football, smell the fear blah blah blah.

I think there is sizable contingent amongst soccer fans whose opinions will not change and they have been saying the same things for 100 years about domination.

What happens in other countries will not necessarily happen here, that irks them and brings saltiness.

Some of the crap that comes out of particularly soccer types is pretty pathetic, but at least the bitterness of those that follow sports in the shadow of australian football is understandable. The bitterness of the soccer fans is understandably stronger again because of the fantasies they've harboured for so long as well.

It is the cultural cringers, though, that I find so absurd. The AFL's ascendancy in this country is a cultural triumph. The fact that few play and watch it overseas is of superficial significance. If you dig into the cringe, you notice the "poor little sports" the AFL "suffocates" are sports like soccer and basketball , the worlds richest and most popular sports. Let's imagine some alternative reality where basketball and soccer, in their respective purple patches in the national psyche, "went on with it" and now are the dominant codes in this country. What would you have? You would have somewhat stronger A Leagues and NBLs....but far more of our best athletic talent would be playing in the European soccer clubs and the NBA. The EPL's TV deal in Australia is the larger than the one the FFA just signed with Foxtel. The AFL not only keeps this broadcast money in the country it disproportionately reinvests into grass roots. These people lament the "insularity" of AFL's grip on the imagination and minds of the populous out of cringingly stupid ignorance.

Some of the crap that comes out of particularly soccer types is pretty pathetic, but at least the bitterness of those that follow sports in the shadow of australian football is understandable. The bitterness of the soccer fans is understandably stronger again because of the fantasies they've harboured for so long as well.

It is the cultural cringers, though, that I find so absurd. The AFL's ascendancy in this country is a cultural triumph. The fact that few play and watch it overseas is of superficial significance. If you dig into the cringe, you notice the "poor little sports" the AFL "suffocates" are sports like soccer and basketball , the worlds richest and most popular sports. Let's imagine some alternative reality where basketball and soccer, in their respective purple patches in the national psyche, "went on with it" and now are the dominant codes in this country. What would you have? You would have somewhat stronger A Leagues and NBLs....but far more of our best athletic talent would be playing in the European soccer clubs and the NBA. The EPL's TV deal in Australia is the larger than the one the FFA just signed with Foxtel. The AFL not only keeps this broadcast money in the country it disproportionately reinvests into grass roots. These people lament the "insularity" of AFL's grip on the imagination and minds of the populous out of cringingly stupid ignorance.

Some very good points there.

Literally 5 or 6 posts on the Brisbane board about our game in 35 minutes time.

Our board has been quite optimistic about the women's league in general but so few posts isn't a great sign. Maybe when the girls play a home game (Melb last week, Perth this week) things might pick up.

Last edited:
At the minute there seems to be good numbers interested, that can only be a good thing.

I think those number who are "interested" are footy starved people desperate for a game of footy, they don't care who or what. The only way you will get a true indication of interested numbers is to put it up against men's footy, same time slot, and see how many turn up then.

I think those number who are "interested" are footy starved people desperate for a game of footy, they don't care who or what. The only way you will get a true indication of interested numbers is to put it up against men's footy, same time slot, and see how many turn up then.
You really are a miserable old tool.

That people can only go to 1 thing at a time doesn't mean they can only be interested in 1 at a time. Also, women's and men's will never go head to head.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Translation- STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!!!1 :mad::mad:

Does not make sense

And from stage left entereth the most boorishly archetypal of cultural cringers

Woo Hoo. Go the AFL!!!! what a charitable organisation, always looking out for the grass roots(lol) and local clubs. I support the Australian game, and nothing else, cause cultural cringe and culture and i am above all that.

"Code" supporters are always pathetic and are always full of it. As bad as the Apple v Andriod junk or playstation v Xbox fights.

Woo Hoo. Go the AFL!!!! what a charitable organisation, always looking out for the grass roots(lol) and local clubs. I support the Australian game, and nothing else, cause cultural cringe and culture and i am above all that.

"Code" supporters are always pathetic and are always full of it. As bad as the Apple v Andriod junk or playstation v Xbox fights.

....Oh yeah, and cultural cringers tend to be completely lacking in self awareness

it hasnt stopped you becoming one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Akec Makur Chuot

Looks exactly like a clone of Allir Allir, looks slow but gets to the ball first and has good disposal and vision.

So what were the ratings and attendances this week compared to last?

Genuine question as I haven't seen the numbers.

I think the channel 7 Saturday night game apparently got about the same ratings as last week

No Foxtel ratings out though apparently Friday night got 150k to the Hal's 50k

Attendance wise about 32k so about an 8k average down from 12.5k

They know the answer to that and that is why it is on now, it's about a feel good story more than anything. It is working for the AFL.
Of course no one will watch it when the men's start, that's why it's not played then.

They know the answer to that and that is why it is on now, it's about a feel good story more than anything. It is working for the AFL.
Of course no one will watch it when the men's start, that's why it's not played then.
Easy to say no one will watch it then, no chance your view will be prooved wrong.

Also, Twitter seems to indicate a lot of first time watchers tuning into the AFLW, and a lot of lukewarm part time AFL watchers watching AFLW full time. I am not sure why you are thinking they would not watch once the men started.

Easy to say no one will watch it then, no chance your view will be prooved wrong.

Also, Twitter seems to indicate a lot of first time watchers tuning into the AFLW, and a lot of lukewarm part time AFL watchers watching AFLW full time. I am not sure why you are thinking they would not watch once the men started.

We will never know, but I am happy to find out if the Dockers are playing Geelong at the new stadium and the exact same Time the dockers woman are hosting Geelong at Freo oval to see how many show up.
Why are you always so defensive, everyone has a right to an opinion yet you seem to not be able to handle it if it's different than yours.
If you want to support the woman's league that's awesome, I actually want it to do well also. Is it getting a huge leg up in my view yes.
So what that we disagree, I am not wrong and you certainly are not right. It is just both our views.

We will never know, but I am happy to find out if the Dockers are playing Geelong at the new stadium and the exact same Time the dockers woman are hosting Geelong at Freo oval to see how many show up.
Why are you always so defensive, everyone has a right to an opinion yet you seem to not be able to handle it if it's different than yours.
If you want to support the woman's league that's awesome, I actually want it to do well also. Is it getting a huge leg up in my view yes.
So what that we disagree, I am not wrong and you certainly are not right. It is just both our views.
Are they likely to be scheduling Eagles Dockers against each other? You are postulating a situation that will never happen, drawing your own conclusions from it. If most supporters would choose the men's team over the women's, does that mean they are not really supporters of the women's team.

It's just an odd position to take.

Are they likely to be scheduling Eagles Dockers against each other? You are postulating a situation that will never happen, drawing your own conclusions from it. If most supporters would choose the men's team over the women's, does that mean they are not really supporters of the women's team.

It's just an odd position to take.

The example was given because you said there would not necessarily be a drop off if the league was up against the men. I just gave you an example.
I am not drawing anything.
Why can't everyone just wait and see what the numbers are attending games in 6 weeks or even better a few years.

Literally 5 or 6 posts on the Brisbane board about our game in 35 minutes time.

Our board has been quite optimistic about the women's league in general but so few posts isn't a great sign. Maybe when the girls play a home game (Melb last week, Perth this week) things might pick up.

I told my Mum today to take my uncle (her brother / collingwood supporter) to the Brisbane v Collingwood game this weekend as it turns out it's not very far from where she lives

Crows aren't playing up there in the women's league this season, but hopefully I can get the two of them out there

She hasn't seen any of the games on tv though as Brisbane tends to hide AFL away (and she doesn't have fox)

The example was given because you said there would not necessarily be a drop off if the league was up against the men. I just gave you an example.
I am not drawing anything.
Why can't everyone just wait and see what the numbers are attending games in 6 weeks or even better a few years.
Well no, I meant there was a core support base that would not drop off, not that no-one would, and given that they will not really go head to head, we will not know how much.

You seemed to be taking the position that the large drop of if the league's overlapped meant the AFLW support was somehow fake, presuming both a large drop and that people choosing to watch the men were not really supporters of the AFLW.

That'd be a fair comparison, we'll stack a two week old competition up against a 120 year old one with hundreds of thousands of members, and other latent support. Christ.

We'll get a fairer idea starting this week up against JLT series matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back