Women's Footy a big success?

Remove this Banner Ad

If the AFL move the grand final to the MCG which i think they will i reckon you will get easily 50k plus.

No one predicted these crowds so far and good on em, suburban footy lockouts are happening!

Should the AFLW Grand Final still be played at the MCG if both GF teams are interstate team or if one of the GF teams is a higher finishing on the ladder interstate team ?

I'm a supporter but I think it's important that the league not try to overreach at this stage.

If they expanded to a full season alongside the mens comp I would no doubt stop watching (except maybe Freo girls) because there's only so many hours a weekend a person can afford to devote to watching sport on tv, and given the choice I'm obviously going to choose the superior mens product.

But it's perfect in its current format as a short, sharp, BBL-type comp during an otherwise sport-free window.

Spot on. An extended winter comp with more teams would have a massive impact on it in terms of crowds and viewers in a negative way.

As the AFL seem hell bent on every AFL team having a women's side the best format going forward is a similar 8 weeks summer league with two divisions.

The timing of year is perfect. No men's Afl or no big bash to compete with is great.

The stadium set ups are good of just walk up and get a seat for free is nice. Being a Collingwood supporter usually it's $50+ reserved seat of back or the southern stand in GA

Game time is quick which is good but maybe it should go a little longer.

The standard will improve. Girls like daisy and vescio are great to watch and with time they will become the normal standard. Soon we will have teams full of girls with 10+ years behind them.

I think it will go well because we love AFL and at this time of the year it's the only thing on.

Tbh i don't know how you can call this a success. Scores have been low and not very entertaining. Imagine if this were afl, vfl, wafl, sanfl scores for males. Would be melt down.
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 6.04.49 PM.png
Even if these were the scores for the under 18s championships ect.

Not saying its going to be a fail, but scoring needs to get better and also the game in general.

Wait and see until people have to start paying for the games to get in and lets be honest, tv hasn't been that good either so people just check it out.

Tbh i don't know how you can call this a success. Scores have been low and not very entertaining. Imagine if this were afl, vfl, wafl, sanfl scores for males. Would be melt down.
View attachment 333460

Not saying its going to be a fail, but scoring needs to get better and also the game in general.

Wait and see until people have to start paying for the games to get in and lets be honest, tv hasn't been that good either so people just check it out.

tv hasnt been that good? Youve got no idea what your talking about.

Whether it is or it isn't successful, the knuckleheads at the AFL will push it and push it hard for no other reason than to try and combat women's soccer.

The only reason there is women's Aussie Rules is because there is women's soccer.

It could actually be argued and quite successfully that one of the reasons for pushing girls soccer was to limit the growth or future growth of football, or to change attitudes of 50% of the population - Samantha Kerr is a prime example.

So who are the knuckleheads again ?.

The afl would be rapt but i hope they dont go to hard too early. Keep a similar league next few years. No expansion to dilute the talent further and leave the same time of the year for the tournament so it doesnt wreck the suburban leagues.

Will be interesting to see how much interest in it holds up. Definetly a popular 'new' thing to watch now and hopefully can get a stable following.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes for skill level to improve to a decent standard men suburban football league skill level (currently at a low level reserves local footy level at best)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Be interesting to see what they do with scheduling in future years.

Everyone's hungry for footy ATM, but long term you'd think they need to make it a winter competition. Great early signs though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 333460

Round 1 of the men's wasn't high scoring either

5aHS9jq.jpg

I have my feet in both camps for this.

It's been a success for sure off the field. The hype and PR campaign since the announcement of the competition put quite a bit of pressure on the women to deliver some half decent footy.

Was hearing a lot of "skills just as good as the men". But from watching the 2 games on 7, it looked like only a handful of players had the competent skills.

Player depth is not there yet, but will get there in many years, but the hyberpole from the media is way over the top.

Be interesting to see what they do with scheduling in future years.

Everyone's hungry for footy ATM, but long term you'd think they need to make it a winter competition. Great early signs though.
It's probably in the ideal window as it is. On the cusp of footy but with the Open and BBL in the rear view mirror.

Perhaps as it grows it could start at the same time but with the Grand Final lining up with the pre-AFL finals bye if that stays.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of interest personally. Reckon the combination of free entry + having it on free-to-air television has been a real success. The overall quality obviously isn't crash hot but you've got to give them credit considering they've only had one pre-season.

In saying that though I think its going to be very hard for it to take the next step for at least a few years. Do you extend the comp (more teams, more games etc) and risk it clashing with the BBL or heaven forbid the men's AFL? Imo its proving successful because its right in a sweet spot of no sport (bar some pointless ODI's) not because it's an incredibly watchable product.

They really should continue to push the suburban ground aspects of the comp, I think it's a real point of difference. Smaller crowds still feel big in small grounds, and it improves the atmosphere immensely. I'm really looking forward to going to Fremantle Oval to watch the Freo AFLW team.

I think it's been a success so far. The first day crowd was great, and the TV rating have been good. We all know it's not close to a finished product yet, and many people are tuning in simply for the curiosity. But it's a long term project- you provide pathways for young women to keep them in the sport, give better training and team preparation and the improvements will come.

Maybe wait a while. The XFL was one of the highest rated shows in history it's first week, by the last week it was the lowest rated program ever for it's timeslot. There's a huge curiosity factor with things like this, also the feel good factor of people wanting to show how PC and accepting they are.

As if they give about a 'rival' game as s**t as soccer, lol.
Oh they do. The fools at the AFL, instead of looking after the game, they are constantly changing the rules and it's relationship to the community to pander to some thickhead or other and as a consequence, Australian Rules Football is now a hybrid of the game that attracted people to it.

I don't know what it's like in WA matey, but I'm willing to bet that school ovals which once had footy goalposts on them, now have soccer goalposts instead. That's what it's like in South Australia. Aussie Rules is not the "first" game of kids in SA any longer and probably not the "first" game in WA or Vic for that matter; soccer now is and whether you or I don't rate soccer as a sport, that's not the issue here. The issue is that the AFL have taken the game of Aussie Rules away from the masses, so to speak, and have turned it into an elitist sport played in private schools and we wonder why soccer has made such massive inroads?

The AFL don't give a s**t about female footy, all they are doing is that they are trying to arrest the haemorrhaging of what was once a solid Aussie Rules constituency to soccer.

For heaven's sake, TV presenters, news broadcasters etc etc don't call the sport footy or Aussie Rules any longer, they call it AFL. Ask a kiddie what the thing we call Aussie Rules is called and they'll say "AFL"! "AFL" is not a sport! It's a self serving organisation for the self important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back