Games & Recreation Work Christmas Parties

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not a fact, it's not company policy to no longer do them, there was a Woolies ran Christmas party for my store on Saturday. I can't speak for every store, area, and region, but a blanket statement like Woolies and Coles don't do them is categorically wrong, and they also don't directly fund it all so there's no reason to cease it regardless of how big they are.

Sent from mTalk
Errrr that sounds like Coles and Woolies don't do Christmas parties.

It's not a Christmas party if you have to pay for it yourself! You've just said they aren't across the board and it's not funded by them. Large companies either guarantee each region or city has one or else they don't do it at all – and the company pays it all. What you're talking about is a bunch of workmates putting money together to have their own thing because they work together, not the company throwing a party for its employees.

That's not a ****in Christmas party if you're being docked even $40 a year. That's you guys all pooling money together and hanging out one day after work. I don't think anyone is interested in that whatsoever.

Had some enjoyable ones in Melbourne and London years ago. One year the party was at a restaurant, but the venue wasn't really private for us so the venue included just regular punters... work mate of mine started getting drinks from the free bar for chicks that didn't work for us.... next year, the venue got moved to a private venue up the road with no outsiders, but got moved from Friday night to Thursday night.... needless to say, the Friday the next day was a complete write off as many folks showed up as late as 2pm and it just became a post party meet up at the office, we'd soon be at the pub again an hour or two later

In the US, they seem non-existant, even for really big corporations.... one tiny company insisted on a Subway lunch at the office which ended up being a chat about work anyway.

I kind of miss the Xmas parties of old.

Errrr that sounds like Coles and Woolies don't do Christmas parties.

It's not a Christmas party if you have to pay for it yourself! You've just said they aren't across the board and it's not funded by them. Large companies either guarantee each region or city has one or else they don't do it at all – and the company pays it all. What you're talking about is a bunch of workmates putting money together to have their own thing because they work together, not the company throwing a party for its employees.

That's not a ****in Christmas party if you're being docked even $40 a year. That's you guys all pooling money together and hanging out one day after work. I don't think anyone is interested in that whatsoever.

You missing the part where the company does provide money for it and any extra can be sourced from the social club? Once all the company money was more than enough when someone just had it in their backyard but recently with a shift toward venue hire costs have increased.

Regardless, the club is opt out and this doesn't mean anyone not in it isn't allowed to attend, and it costs nothing.

I pay union fees, should I expect the union to throw us a party too?

Actually I probably make up for the union fees with the cheap movie tickets.

You missing the part where the company does provide money for it and any extra can be sourced from the social club? Once all the company money was more than enough when someone just had it in their backyard but recently with a shift toward venue hire costs have increased.

Regardless, the club is opt out and this doesn't mean anyone not in it isn't allowed to attend, and it costs nothing.

I pay union fees, should I expect the union to throw us a party too?

Actually I probably make up for the union fees with the cheap movie tickets.
Oh boo hoo Coles and Woolies, billion dollar companies can't afford to hire out Crown for two nights? A lot of people in any line of work are disillusioned with the workplace, whether it's resentment for the company directly or clashes with management or co-workers, so it's not like you'd even get more than a 70% attendance rate. At the very least throwing a voucher to everyone would be nice, without the caveat of 'oh we made 30% above budget for Christmas...'

I now work for a pretty large Australian owned company who like to look wholesome as they all do, but the Christmas party is (essentially) just for chicks and management. No surprise this section of the company is where a lot of the lower management are and inevitably the higher management are all blokes. Bit hard to not feel aggrieved when a girl who does a shift a fortnight to help out gets trendy finger food and drinks all night when other people on full time hours in all sorts of roles don't.

Like a lot of shit in this world it was an agenda at plat – clearly pushed by the hot young chicks and of course the hard-dicks in management ticked it off as an excuse to get pissed and try and chat to one.

It's also another thing where generally white collar people in cleaner jobs where most people are reaping in 70k minimum are the ones getting the nice arvo slot at a pub in Fitzroy or looking over the Swan River with the company shouting all taxis home at the end of it too, while people who generally struggle and eat a bit more shit don't.

Some sound ****in great though, few big awards handed out for people who do well (which is fair and reasonable and a good reward) where they're getting a thousand dollar watch, while everyone else gets a nice little gift basket with some moet and a Myer voucher and then some.

Oh boo hoo Coles and Woolies, billion dollar companies can't afford to hire out Crown for two nights? A lot of people in any line of work are disillusioned with the workplace, whether it's resentment for the company directly or clashes with management or co-workers, so it's not like you'd even get more than a 70% attendance rate. At the very least throwing a voucher to everyone would be nice, without the caveat of 'oh we made 30% above budget for Christmas...'

I now work for a pretty large Australian owned company who like to look wholesome as they all do, but the Christmas party is (essentially) just for chicks and management. No surprise this section of the company is where a lot of the lower management are and inevitably the higher management are all blokes. Bit hard to not feel aggrieved when a girl who does a shift a fortnight to help out gets trendy finger foo?d and drinks all night when other people on full time hours in all sorts of roles don't.

Like a lot of shit in this world it was an agenda at plat – clearly pushed by the hot young chicks and of course the hard-dicks in management ticked it off as an excuse to get pissed and try and chat to one.

Wtf? That went on a tangent.

Ours is just above getting pissed and shoving firecrackers in some bum cracks, or having races to the top of the palm trees. There's zero sexuality at all. If anything it's old timey segregation where the women sit down together and the fellas run amok.

Do you think they should hire crown out for a several thousand employees for several nights? Or hire it out for scores of nights to let each store have their own?

Always had decent Xmas parties. Even at big companies where the company wide one is just a bigger do, you can usually have a decent department one.

Lunch, plenty of drinks, long afternoon and night for those with stamina.

Under no circumstances should partners ever be invited to Xmas parties. That’s just ****ed. People behave differently and half the people there (partners) don’t want to be there and are looking at the clock. It’s about winding down with those you’ve spent all year with.

That's exactly the kind of thing that stinks, unless you are an assistant manager and up
In a lot of places, assistant managers and up are the ones who do unpaid overtime and a swanky Christmas party is a bit of a 'thank you' for that.

Personally I'd rather be paid by the hour.

Work for a huge company, they put on a company wide party which is a massive all inclusive piss up. Our department usually has something more informal put on by the work social club. In addition our union branch puts on a big piss up each December. Pretty well covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At my work Xmas party in Darwin in 2015 two Adelaide staff flew up "to keep an eye on the staff up here". Told the Adelaide woman to **** off at the end of the night.

Companies are far too tight these days and so many people work for conglomerates who don't have work parties, so instead of everyone getting a couple of hours of free beers and chardies and a bit of food as a thank you over Christmas, people just... don't. The Christmas Party was the last bastion of thanks and respect that the working Australian got – now it's gone.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Don't mind them but can't be bothered anymore. If a few organise private drinks will go otherwise not fussed.

HR has a lot to answer for, directly and indirectly.

A little result of them is how cactus job applications now. Before every company had one, you'd walk into a shop and say 'hi, I'm floggo, I was looking to put my resumé in. Are you who I should speak to?' and you'd have a chat and they'd be able to see what you look liked, how you spoke... now everything is electronic and no matter how qualified you are, online screening deducts everything to keywords in search directories and when you do get an interview you end up looking around and half the people there have rocked up without a shower or are Indians who just moved over a week ago and can barely speak English. Now some bored chick in HR in Sydney overthinks things and has no idea on what you look like, how you act, your presentation... it's a ****in lottery.

They're basically just insurance for law suits anyway. In some big companies, people are held up at gun point and HR suggests some mild 'free' appointments which are so half-hearted you might as well be talking to Siri. Have to put up with a coworker lifting up your skirt? HR can't do much because it's simply a complaint. 'We'll have a chat to him with Simon, the regional manager, and Denise, the state HR head.' They do **** all when you actually need them.

No different to pissy safety concerns or store charters. 'Does everyone know what 'octopus soup' refers to? Well the O is for open, the c is for seeing, and the t is for think...' It's no different to working at a shitty pub every weekend night and your manager saying 'well mate we'd rather you not come in than come in hungover.' So you call your manager at 9am and give him some vague horseshit and he goes off his rocker. Or when he keeps saying 'always use a step to get something off the top shelf,' and when you do on your first shift, he goes off again saying 'mate we don't have time for that!'

tldr HR/work place safety is horseshit too

Always put on a catered 3 course meal at my place, or another directors place, using a great local chef, iron chef or master chef. For safety we provide a ride to and from.

Having great staff is important and inviting them into your home is a simple way of expressing they are more than an employee but part of the family and team.

Businesses are too scared to have them now mainly because of the lawsuit from old mate having a crack at Miranda.

I chuck a sicky every year because I hate every campaigner I work with.

And I'm the boss.
Our company handed out memos reminding everyone to behave. Everyone had to sign to say the received it.

Our company handed out memos reminding everyone to behave. Everyone had to sign to say the received it.

Most places toolbox their code of conduct and get it signed off so if you **** up they can walk you first thing when you rock up at work.

Mines on tomorrow and I'm boycotting it on principle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back