'Acknowledgement of Country' in the workplace

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd prefer companies you know actually do something to help Indigenous Australians, throwing out a few tokenistic words before a meeting is pointless.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. I'd say most organsiations that do acknowledgements in meetings would also have developed Reconciliation Action Plans and are actively trying to not make it tokenistic.

Too often and it's almost like it's replacing religion as a pervasive ritual that may become perfunctory over time. Compare saying grace before meals, morning prayers, etc.
Acknowledging the ancient and deep connection of Indigenous people to this land, and that Europeans tried to take that away, should never end up like the Our Father when it's said mechanically with no real comprehension. That's my issue with saying an Acknowledgement of Country every day.

I'd prefer companies you know actually do something to help Indigenous Australians, throwing out a few tokenistic words before a meeting is pointless.
well the words don't have to be tokenistic, they certainly seem to piss enough people off currently so they're doing something by reminding people who's land they are actually on

but where the argument does come in as an example, if Rio Tinto are doing an acknowledgement of country while they are planning on demolishing a sacred site

or when a government state or federal does it while siding with a mining company over traditional owners, or while continuing to enact legislation that disadvantages Indigenous communities

if its used to avoid actually doing anything or to cover for bullshit then yeah its bad, but in general I think people having more awareness of it is good

There was a Welcome to Country at the Kambosos v Haney fight on the weekend. I feel it works well in boxing, there's a lot of indigenous participants in boxing and in the crowd, and I believe Haney connected with some of the local traditional owners when he was here for the last fight. It certainly seemed to have a bit more gravity than some of the ones i've witnessed in the corporate setting.

There was a Welcome to Country at the Kambosos v Haney fight on the weekend. I feel it works well in boxing, there's a lot of indigenous participants in boxing and in the crowd, and I believe Haney connected with some of the local traditional owners when he was here for the last fight. It certainly seemed to have a bit more gravity than some of the ones i've witnessed in the corporate setting.
Yeah it's funny I recon we are just used to having this sort of stuff at sports events but not the workplace, and that affects how we think about it.

National anthem is the same - you can have that at footy finals, Melbourne Cup, Car Racing, etc. But imagine if we started each work week with the anthem - it would feel a bit like we are in a Communist country or something.

What's with this Kambosos bloke? My knoweldge of boxing is limited but he was an Australian with a unified title and and you heard almost nothing about him in the media.

What's with this Kambosos bloke? My knoweldge of boxing is limited but he was an Australian with a unified title and and you heard almost nothing about him in the media.

He was Manny Pacquiao's sparring partner for years, he's fought mainly in the US for the last 5 or so years so that's why he wasn't known like a Tim Tszyu.

He got a title shot last year and had a huge upset win, was meant to be an easybeat for the champ at the time, and the champ Lopez had 4 of the world title belts and the Ring magazine "belt". So once he pulled that off he insisted on defending it here, unfortunately for him he probably chose someone too good to fight, could have picked some others he might have had a better chance against but he sacked up and gave it a crack.

Yeah it's funny I recon we are just used to having this sort of stuff at sports events but not the workplace, and that affects how we think about it.

National anthem is the same - you can have that at footy finals, Melbourne Cup, Car Racing, etc. But imagine if we started each work week with the anthem - it would feel a bit like we are in a Communist country or something.

The funny thing is before the main event we copped the triple anthem: The US (got booed by some), the Greek and then the Australian anthem. That's actually pretty common at the boxing, usually they're of different nationalities and they'll play the home country anthem as well. Though I guess the Greek one is Kambosos' heritage but still made sense, there were a lot of crazy Greeks there!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back