Society & Culture Beautiful Cities of the World

Remove this Banner Ad

A colleague was chatting about buying a property in Belize the other day. Looks nice.
It's ******* awesome if you like laid back lifestyle, gunja and clean clear water for diving.

I could live there, but not for young children if you want them to have a good education.

Has anyone explored any of the Chinese cities? I really loved Taipei and Hong Kong and I think that around China will be my next trip, plenty of ancient architecture mixed in with modern developments. Also the natural landscape outside the cities can be very diverse and beautiful. Not for everyone, but reckon a China trip is a bit slept on.

Out of the cities I've been too, I'd say Prague is number 1. But Amsterdam wouldn't be that far behind and the fact that you're probably high on drugs there makes it feel even more beautiful. Australian cities are pretty good looking as well, although nobody wants to say that as we all just live in pretty boring suburbs, but if you go looking for it they can be quite pretty.

I've been to Beijng (and the Great Wall) and enjoyed it. Taipei is better though.

Bruges in Belgium is a must see if you go to Europe.

They talk about the beer museum there but there is also a brewery tour there where you can get a free beer at the end, free advice.

There is also a bar there where they claim to have every beer in the world on the menu, if you like beer then Bruges is the place to go.

The canal tour is worth going on and the Bruges tower gives you a great view and there is also a great Tintin Shop if you are a Tintin fan.

tintin-shop-in-bruges-belgium-cartoon-BM2WRN.jpg

Don't expect to find any bargains in the Tintin Shop, they charge like wounded bulls in that joint, a Tintin snotrag would cost you a hundred bucks.

Last edited:
Mostly this is entirely appearance, not experience.

Cuzco
Paris
Singapore
Florence
London
Cartagena (pipped many also-lovely Sth American colonial cities)
Edinburgh
Budapest
Sarajevo
Hoi An

Honourable mentions: San Carlos de Bariloche, Florianopolis, Prague, Berlin, Dublin, Galway, Queenstown, Huaraz, (Melbourne, Sydney, Perth).

My common denominators appear to be rivers in the middle of town, or mountains, or both.

The big ones have the best and most grand architecture around natural beauty.

We really are spoilt in Australia. Sydney, Melbourne and Perth look truly great and getting better with age. For older cities, the contrast between old and new can be quite jarring.

That is how I feel about my home. The city of Vancouver is average and I rarely go downtown. It's the water and surrounding mountains that make it great.

Vancouver_Destination%20Vancouver:Albert%20Normandin_86498_Master.jpg
My favourite city in the world outside of my own home town. Also felt like it had a very similar vibe to Perth.

Hard to say what are the most 'beautiful' but agree with some of the nominations here such as Paris, Prague, Venice and Amsterdam.

Have to get out to Bruges at some point. I hear it's a fairytale town, isn't it?

Heidelberg, Germany - fortunately untouched by WW2 bombing
Ironically, a short tram ride away from Mannheim which was an industrial centre and bombed mercilessly

experience-heidelberg-germany-moritz-0d131f9d62a8e20bca5650f678c4a7d2.jpg

On the theme of 'less popular' beautiful cities, Gdansk Poland (the whole tri-city area really).

OIP.HsppbxVveKNn90iArXgiIAHaE8

It's not too far from Malbork, home of the largest brick castle in Europe
4448896d-8b25-4384-8fbc-de4bf212f5bd-bcc865ab-5ed6-4c1b-8328-a210764bea90-istock-499146232-3.jpg

Stonetown, Zanzibar. It's arguably the easiest city in the world to get lost in (narrow paths in a very haphazard design)

88.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The tourist hotspots (Ankor Wat & Machu Pichu) also deserve to be nominated, as does Cuzco

Never seen anywhere remotely as beautiful as some of the cities of Japan. And I'm not talking about Osaka or Tokyo.

If I ever get the chance I'd like to pick 5-6 of the best small towns in as many countries as I could.

Cities: Madrid, Barcelona, Porto, Lisbon, Bern.........

There's way more to offer in towns and smaller cities IMO. Rome and Paris, London are oversold FWIW

Same - thinking of making that the next destination when I again venture off overseas

Seems like different seasons .
You might need luck with the weather as well.

I wonder how hot the logoon springs are ...

Seeing the Northern lights would be cool

On the theme of 'less popular' beautiful cities, Gdansk Poland (the whole tri-city area really).

4448896d-8b25-4384-8fbc-de4bf212f5bd-bcc865ab-5ed6-4c1b-8328-a210764bea90-istock-499146232-3.jpg

First pic looks like Amsterdam..

Where a car a week ends up in the water .
Shouldn't drive over going to the smoke cafes..

I'll be in Gdansk next week. I'll report back.

Meanwhile Berlin is amazing. The only negative is that people just drop their cigarettes wherever and the footpaths are covered in them. Disgusting.

Seems like different seasons .
You might need luck with the weather as well.

I wonder how hot the logoon springs are ...

Seeing the Northern lights would be cool

The weather won’t worry me that much - I use to take a summer holiday or maye a more accurate term, ”a holiday from summer” by travelling to North America during our Dec & Jan period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back