Optus is the ars*hole of ISP's

Remove this Banner Ad

I never had a flip phone. I wanted one tho!!!

I went 3210 > whatever other Nokia at the time > Panasonic (damn that was a niiiice phone- little silver thing) > back to Nokia > then iirc smart phones were around by then, went Samsung > now at motorola
I loved my flip phones in the 2000s, so much so I got a Samsung Flip 5 recently, I love it.

Surprise you didnt get the Motorola Razr, I was going to get this before I heard that Samsung was bringing out a new flip phone, got a watch, earphones, charger as freebies for getting it early.

I loved my flip phones in the 2000s, so much so I got a Samsung Flip 5 recently, I love it.

Surprise you didnt get the Motorola Razr, I was going to get this before I heard that Samsung was bringing out a new flip phone, got a watch, earphones, charger as freebies for getting it early.
Flip phones looked cool af. But remember back in those days you kinda had to "make do" with the model and plan you could access.

I was on that $30 a month Optus plan iirc- the one free calls after 8pm and lower rates on the weekend.

Read somewhere that a lot of Optus’ hardware is old and they are running it into the ground with minimal maintenance..

Classic big company MO, cut costs in order to boost profits then stand around agape when s**t hits the fan.
So you are suggesting another Optus failure is inevitable?

Glory be, customers will set their buildings on fire if it happens inside the next 12months again.

Mate, as the country’s second biggest telecommunications and internet company you simply cannot be unusable for any period of time, let alone 10 hours.

The whole world relies on connectivity. The cost to businesses yesterday in lost productivity would have been in the hundreds of millions. As one very simple example, I work from home mostly and use Optus for mobile and internet. I logged in from a local cafe yesterday to try and do some work but was unable to do too much because of bandwidth limitations at the venue. Aside from taking the mick on here for a laugh my day ended up with me at home watching reruns of the West Wing on DVD followed by a business hours trip to the gym.

It was awesome but not exactly good for my employer. And I was one of dozens at my workplace who ended up doing similar.

I have worked from home since April 2020. In that time I have lost 3 days due to power outages, half a day due to no internet. Optus are campaigners but people have well and truly lost their minds over this.

I have worked from home since April 2020. In that time I have lost 3 days due to power outages, half a day due to no internet. Optus are campaigners but people have well and truly lost their minds over this.

Mate, when it costs some people serious money and/or puts them at risk then I can understand it.

We'll have to just agree to disagree of some of this mate. There is no way anybody should have to go to the added cost of separating their mobile and internet providers. Also, there is the added issue of how murky everything is. For example, most people wouldn't know that Macquarie Internet is an Optus resold product and that Aldi uses Telstra. It all just confuses people.

In an ideal world you shouldn't have to separate mobile and landline internet providers. But outages are bound to happen from time to time so it's probably a good idea, especially if you depend on the net for work or health reasons. It's extremely unlikely that both would have an outage at the same time.

I very rarely use cash but I carry some in my wallet 'just in case'. Retailers should be geared up to accept cash as some people still prefer that.

It's not that hard to find out which network the resellers use. It will be on their website.

If it wasn't for the fact that they have heavily subsidised Premier League coverage for account holders I would have ditched them years ago.
Which is the same for me. Although I am rather ambivalent to telcos.
Not sure any do a great job and it's trying to pick the least s**t.

if something is so critical then why wouldn't you spend a few extra bucks to cover yourself? Internet is becoming like that too.
This idea is not promoted.

People get locked in to a certain way of doing things.

Telcos count on that.

You can bet a fair few will change now. Probably not the majority though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence
I guess the question is whether these were changes implemented by Optus, or whether they were advertised and automatically implemented by a peer network which exceeded the configured limits on the Optus kit, and whether those limits were realistic for a national telco with global peering. I don't know enough about BGP to know how all that gets implemented.

If that got though a change team without getting picked up their CAB is going to be reaming a few people.

I guess the question is whether these were changes implemented by Optus, or whether they were advertised and automatically implemented by a peer network which exceeded the configured limits on the Optus kit, and whether those limits were realistic for a national telco with global peering. I don't know enough about BGP to know how all that gets implemented.

If that got though a change team without getting picked up their CAB is going to be reaming a few people.
Whenever the IT blokes at work talked about a "routine system upgrade" over the weekend, I'd shudder at the mess Monday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back