Which is the better flake?

Which is the better flake from the fish n chip shop?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

God we are the worst
I remember when I was a kid/teen and Orange Roughy was everywhere. All those supermarket oven fish were made from it.

It was discovered in deep water in the 1970s and soon Australia and NZ were fishing 10s of thousands of tonnes a year. Only later they worked out that they are slow developing fish that live for about 200 years, and don't reproduce until they are 30. Now almost all gone.

Deep fried flake done by a Greek fish and chip shop. Unfortunately a lot of the Greeks after generations in the shops have run out of interested family members to hand / sell them to so they're being brought out by the Asians. The Asians can rarely do the batter correctly, that's the key, theirs tends to be more like that horrible oily, absorbent gunk that encases Dagwood Dogs.

I remember when I was a kid/teen and Orange Roughy was everywhere. All those supermarket oven fish were made from it.

It was discovered in deep water in the 1970s and soon Australia and NZ were fishing 10s of thousands of tonnes a year. Only later they worked out that they are slow developing fish that live for about 200 years, and don't reproduce until they are 30. Now almost all gone.

It took off on the word of mouth from Joan Collins the actor. It was fished to almost extinction in a very short time frame.

While we are at it - what other stuff on the FNC menu do folks here go for?

I love a battered kabana. Pumpkin cakes (instead of potato) are surprisingly good. Used to love pineapple fritters but it has been a while.

Years ago I didn't mind a Mighty Burger, a slice of potato on a hamburger pattie, deep fried in batter. It gives me a heart attack just thinking about it now.

Worked with a few old sea dogs who slayed it in the boom.Every fisherman's dream to kill the pig like this.
Good doco

Bad fish is better battered
Good fish is better grilled

While we are at it - what other stuff on the FNC menu do folks here go for?

I love a battered kabana. Pumpkin cakes (instead of potato) are surprisingly good. Used to love pineapple fritters but it has been a while.

I mentioned in the other thread I get beef croquettes fairly often. My usual order is fried flake, two potato cakes and two battered calamari. Sometimes get two steamed dimmies instead of the calamari, always potato cakes though.

Will rarely get a burger, the hamburger game in Melbourne has lifted in the last 10 years or so, the fish and chip shop one hasn't changed but it's still a classic.

Been a while since I went to a FNC shop, been going the restaurant option for my battered fish needs. Flake/whiting/flathead, housemade tartare, lemon wedge. Usually sitting on top of the chips unfortunately, and a side salad I feel guilted into eating.
But I miss the fat chips and can't go FNC without dim sims though, gotta be fried. All with too much chicken salt.. hungry now. Meh on potato cakes. My wife likes corn jacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i only get snapper, any variety.
battered
chips with normal salt
some crumbed prawns or calamari if starving.
would prefer battered prawns / calamari but my two locals dont do them but thei rfish and chips quality is amazing.
usually take it home as its 5 mins away, and have blue banner pickled onions

Deep fried flake done by a Greek fish and chip shop. Unfortunately a lot of the Greeks after generations in the shops have run out of interested family members to hand / sell them to so they're being brought out by the Asians. The Asians can rarely do the batter correctly, that's the key, theirs tends to be more like that horrible oily, absorbent gunk that encases Dagwood Dogs.

Some people would probably see it as racist but this is so true.

Grandpa Simpson gif if you walk into a fish and chip shop run by Asians.

What the Greeks do these days though is they set the shop up, build the clientele, then sell it to the Asians. Rinse, repeat. Make more money doing that than running the store long term.

Makes finding a good fish and chip shop in Melbourne tough.

Worked with a few old sea dogs who slayed it in the boom.Every fisherman's dream to kill the pig like this.
Good doco

They totally wrecked the million year old Orange roughy field in less than 10 years.
They made quick dollars and lost thier boats, industry and left steel cable and nets on the ocean floor.

Yep they were legends.

Good doco

In late '87 or early '88, I spent a couple of weeks staying at a caravan park in Portland with a mate and his brothers. We fished the whole time. We were camped near the breakwater, where all the trawlers came in to unload. I reckon for 3 or 4 days straight, these huge trawlers were coming in and unloading nothing but orange roughy into semi-trailers. It was pretty awesome to watch and pretty disgusting at the same time.

In late '87 or early '88, I spent a couple of weeks staying at a caravan park in Portland with a mate and his brothers. We fished the whole time. We were camped near the breakwater, where all the trawlers came in to unload. I reckon for 3 or 4 days straight, these huge trawlers were coming in and unloading nothing but orange roughy into semi-trailers. It was pretty awesome to watch and pretty disgusting at the same time.
Shows Portland trucks in the doco,also 2 guys in Geelong who set up a filleting factory,they reckon some guys were pulling 7k a week smashing out fillets.
That's crazy money for today let alone the late 80s.

Around 25 minute mark in the doco.

Been a while since I went to a FNC shop, been going the restaurant option for my battered fish needs. Flake/whiting/flathead, housemade tartare, lemon wedge. Usually sitting on top of the chips unfortunately, and a side salad I feel guilted into eating.
But I miss the fat chips and can't go FNC without dim sims though, gotta be fried. All with too much chicken salt.. hungry now. Meh on potato cakes. My wife likes corn jacks.
Corn Jacks!

That was what I was trying to think of the other day when I was trolling Interloper about battered savs

Shows Portland trucks in the doco,also 2 guys in Geelong who set up a filleting factory,they reckon some guys were pulling 7k a week smashing out fillets.
That's crazy money for today let alone the late 80s.

Around 25 minute mark in the doco.

I watched a bit of it and saw the filleting guys, but missed the bit where it said they were in Geelong.

Deep fried Mars Bar is pretty amazing, but it feels like you're eating a heart attack.

I remember once seeing a recipe for deep fried Mars bars / chocolate bars, and instead of using the full size chocolates they used the fun size ones

So you can still enjoy the deep fried Mars bar goodness, but without the full overload

Back