8. Lyons (AUS)
7. Waugh (AUS)
6. Burger (SA)
5. Sharpe (AUS)
4. Pelous (FRA) (VC)
3. Hayman (NZ)
2. Smit (SA)
1. Young (AUS)

With apologies to 5 other players..... George Smith (AUS), Chris Jack (NZ), Tana Umaga (NZ), Reuben Thorne (NZ), Josh Lewsey (ENG).

I'd drop Wilko. Giteau at 10. Umaga at 12/13. Pichot (ARG) edges out both the captaincy & scrumhalf role over Marshall for mine.

Also I'd put veteran hooker Méndez (ARG) ahead of Smit. You've got to have a stint of the powerful Argie scrummaging pack.

I was giving this some thought myself, the main problem I have is that it's hard to pick who's the best front row men are at the moment, tend to have to go on reputation a bit.

Gotta say yours smacks of a bit of Australian bias, I can't entertain the idea that 7 Aussies should make the world XV.I mean Mortlock over O'Driscoll at outside centre?Mortlock is ok but basically he's a big 10 a penny crash ball centre, whilst O'Driscoll is a genius who is on good form at the moment.There's only 3 non tri nations players in the team????Might be fair enough if you packed it full of Kiwis but you seem to forget that Australia were dominated by France who in turn were destroyed by NZ.

Lyons at 8 seems crazy to me as well, there'd be a quite a few I'd put in ahead of him, even in defeat Corry did mre than him on Saturday.

Bill Young at loose head,mmmmm well I take it we're not trying to take it to the opposition at the scrum.

As for Burger he may have a great SH season but on current form he's nowhere, he came to Europe with this big rep & was blown away against both Ireland & England, & didn't do a great deal against Wales either (except get binned & nearly bring Wales back into it).

Smit at hooker seems strange as Thompson destroyed him last time out, I've got no doubts that on his day Thommo is no1 & he showed he's recovered most of his form that he lost after the WC.

Can't take Wilkinson at 10 either, he's hardly played for a year & the jury is still out on whether he can come back to his previous level.

15.Robinson(Eng)
14.Rokockoko(NZ)
13.O'Driscoll(Ire)
12.Giteau(Aus)
11.Tuquri(Aus)
10.Carter(NZ)
9.Pichot(Arg)
8.Harinordoquy
7.McCaw(NZ)
6.So'oialo(NZ)
5.O'Connell(Ire)
4.Jack(NZ)
3.White(Eng)
2.Thompson(Eng)
1.Marconnet(Fr)

Consideration given to Muliaina & Latham at fullback

The centres might lack a bit of grunt so would have one of Marsh, Umaga or Mortlock on the bench.

On the wings Howlett &Lewsey were in with a shout & Caucau would have made the team(ahead of Rokockoko) if I'd seen him play & he was still as good as in the WC.

Lewis Moody & Phil Waugh are in the shake up for the back row, depending o what style you're looking for.

The other Irish lock(name??) wouldn't let anyone down in there.To be honest Martin Johnson would still probably make the side if your life depended on it but if you start picking non international players it gets a bit messy.

As for the props, as I said it's a tough position to know how everyone is doing unless you watch all of every game.Julian White scrummaged well all Autumn & did his fair share around the pitch, Marconnet is a class player.Maybe the Argies will feel hard done by here.

DIPPER said:
15.Robinson(Eng)
14.Rokockoko(NZ)
13.O'Driscoll(Ire)
12.Giteau(Aus)
11.Tuquri(Aus)
10.Carter(NZ)
9.Pichot(Arg)
8.Harinordoquy
7.McCaw(NZ)
6.So'oialo(NZ)
5.O'Connell(Ire)
4.Jack(NZ)
3.White(Eng)
2.Thompson(Eng)
1.Marconnet(Fr)

Now that is a smack-bang World XV. :)
I still think Mendez should be at 2.

I agree with Dipper's side almost completely.

I'd have Caucau in for Tuqiri and Burger for So'oialo though and I'm not entirely convinced about Harinordoquy at the moment...although he does add an extra option at the lineout. Burger, despite not setting the world on fire on the European tour was a dominating force in the tri-nations. His work rate is not matched by anyone in the world. Sometimes though, like all good flankers he disregards the laws of the game...perhaps even more than guys like Smith, Waugh, Betsen and McCaw.

Mint Condition said:
I agree with Dipper's side almost completely.

I'd have Caucau in for Tuqiri

So you think Rokockoko is better than Tuquri?

I dunno what it is with Rokockoko but he doesn't fully impress me in the same way that Tuquri does when you watch them play but then you look at his international try scoring record & it's unbelievable.

I take it from you putting him in that Caucau is still palyign well, so I'd have him in with Tuquri.

You've gotta feel sorry for Fiji, what a back 3 they would make between them.

and Burger for So'oialo though and I'm not entirely convinced about Harinordoquy at the moment...although he does add an extra option at the lineout. Burger, despite not setting the world on fire on the European tour was a dominating force in the tri-nations. His work rate is not matched by anyone in the world. Sometimes though, like all good flankers he disregards the laws of the game...perhaps even more than guys like Smith, Waugh, Betsen and McCaw.

Yeah I was going on Harinordoquy a bit on reputation, i think he's probably the best out there on his day, especially with Dallagillio gone(who used to call him Harry-ordinary:D).I did consider So'oialo at 8 & then someone else at 6.

I suppose the thing with Burger is partly due to a different emphasis in styles of play, because the job that he does is really what you'd expect of an openside in England, ie getting to the breakdown quickly & trying to win the ball on the floor.I've noticed that France for example do a similar thing & reverse the roles by having Betsen at 6 do that stuff & let Magne appear in the open spaces.And of course Australia seem to take it a step further & have both breakaways really competing at the tackle, which always causes us problems, although the flip side is we have another big man to run at you with the ball.

I suppose I was going more for the traditional idea of a quick ball winning 7 & a more powerhouse figure at 6.

Duggie said:
with the exception of wilko, has to be number 10 when fit and maybe darcy at 12.

It's a funny thing Duggie you one eyed Irishman but I did consider Darcy at 12 but he's been injured hasn't he?

As for Wilkinson as I said before, he may never be the same again, don't see how we can name a bloke who hasn't played for the best part of a year either.

Also I reckon Carter is developing into something special.

DIPPER said:
It's a funny thing Duggie you one eyed Irishman but I did consider Darcy at 12 but he's been injured hasn't he?

As for Wilkinson as I said before, he may never be the same again, don't see how we can name a bloke who hasn't played for the best part of a year either.

Also I reckon Carter is developing into something special.

it says world best xv not current worlds best xv. work it out.

Duggie said:
it says world best xv not current worlds best xv. work it out.

If Wilkinson never returns to his former level then he won't make the world best XV will he?

By your reckoning Jonah Lomu should be in everyone's team.

In fact if it's 'world best XV' not 'current worlds XV' then I'll have Michael Jones at 7, Tim Horan at 12, David Campese at 11, Gareth Edwards at 9.......

You work it out smart boy.

DIPPER said:
If Wilkinson never returns to his former level then he won't make the world best XV will he?

By your reckoning Jonah Lomu should be in everyone's team.

In fact if it's 'world best XV' not 'current worlds XV' then I'll have Michael Jones at 7, Tim Horan at 12, David Campese at 11, Gareth Edwards at 9.......

You work it out smart boy.

no that would be an all time best xv, are u a child or what. and if u think carter is better than wilko then u mustnt have seen much of johnny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over the last year following the world cup, this would be mine,

15. Muiliana (NZ)
14. Rocokoco (NZ)
13. O'Driscall (Ire)
12. Giteau (Aus)
11. Tuquiri (Aus)
10. O'Ghara (Ire)
9. Marshall (NZ)
8. Lyons (Aus)
7. McCaw (NZ)
6. Burger (SA)
5. Harrison (Think his game against England redeemed him.) (Aus)
4. Jack (NZ)
3. Os Du Randt (SA)
2. Paul (Aus)
1. Marconnet (Fre)

I cannot believe some people have Lyons at Number 8. Please - he isn't even the best No8 in australia.

Anyway easy to be critical of others, so here's mine team with all players fully fit and available:

15. Latham (Aus)
14. Robinson (Eng)
13. O'Driscoll (Ire)
12. Carter (NZ)
11. Caucau (Fiji)
10. Wilkinson (Eng)
9. Pichot (Arg)
8. Harinordoquy (Fra)
7. Berger (SA)
6. Betson (Fra)
5. Jack (NZ)
4. Sharpe (Aus)
3. Hayman (NZ)
2. Thomsen (Eng)
1. Marconnet (Fra)

Scrumhalf said:
I'd drop Wilko. Giteau at 10. Umaga at 12/13. Pichot (ARG) edges out both the captaincy & scrumhalf role over Marshall for mine.
yeah g'day guys.... what i was trying to do was to put the 3 main teams.... aussies, england and new zealand in... and work around that, but you are right "scrumhalf" mendez should be hooker, but i really believe wilkinson fit would be so unstoppable you need him there with giteau at 12 (Giteau, has to be in there, apart from being my fav player with mortlock, he is one of the best players in the world.... he can play any of the back possies... scrumhalf, fly half, 2 wings, inside centre, outside centre and fullback.... GUN!!). and mortlock is better than o'driscoll IMO. I think we should put our teams together with 7 on the bench, and figure out the world's best XXII (22), who's with me. Send me a PM. Cheers, thanks guys.

Problem with Wilkinson is that he is too fragile.
Plus, he's not a fantastic tackler as much as some believe he is. He ocassionally makes the big tackle, but the last time he did it was on Giteau in the World Cup Final. The only redeeming feature about him is that he is a good playmaker and kicker.
But players from a better mould are starting to appear now, Giteau, O'Ghara (completely underrated), Hodgeson (who simply got nerves against us couple of weeks back.).
I thing his day in the sun is ending.

bullish23 said:
I cannot believe some people have Lyons at Number 8. Please - he isn't even the best No8 in australia.

Anyway easy to be critical of others, so here's mine team with all players fully fit and available:

15. Latham (Aus)
14. Robinson (Eng)
13. O'Driscoll (Ire)
12. Carter (NZ)
11. Caucau (Fiji)
10. Wilkinson (Eng)
9. Pichot (Arg)
8. Harinordoquy (Fra)
7. Berger (SA)
6. Betson (Fra)
5. Jack (NZ)
4. Sharpe (Aus)
3. Hayman (NZ)
2. Thomsen (Eng)
1. Marconnet (Fra)
No Giteau!!!!!!!

These are the players mentioned where their names came up more than twice in a good way......
Federico Mendez
Matt Giteau
Chris Jack
Phil Waugh
Schalk Burger Jnr.
Justin Marshall
Lote Tuqiri
Doug Howlett
Jason Robinson
Brian O'Driscoll
Jonny Wilkinson
Charlie Hodgson
Stirling Mortlock
Tana Umaga
Carl Hayman
Agustin Pichot
Sylvain Marconnet
Paul O’Connell
Imanol Harinordoquy
Rodney So'oialo
Richie McCaw
Joe Van Niekerk
Rupeni CauCau
Joe Rokocoko
Daniel Carter
Steve Thompson
Ronan O’Gara
Os Du Randt
Chris Latham
Nathan Sharpe
Serge Betson
Mils Muliaina

Snickers said:
No Giteau!!!!!!!

Yeah I know. Definately on the bench though. I definately think Wilko is the best no 10 so I guess it came down to gits v carter at No 12. I gave it to carter in that he is the chief playmaker in the worlds best team (currently). Very, very close though. I do think larkhams time is up and for gits to be our permanent no 10.

Are you happy with Latham at full back? I highly rate him. He is a game breaker. He has been carrying qld for the past 2 seasons. Some of his performances in super 12 have been extraordinary. He was super v england as well I thought.

bullish23 said:
Yeah I know. Definately on the bench though. I definately think Wilko is the best no 10 so I guess it came down to gits v carter at No 12. I gave it to carter in that he is the chief playmaker in the worlds best team (currently). Very, very close though. I do think larkhams time is up and for gits to be our permanent no 10.

Are you happy with Latham at full back? I highly rate him. He is a game breaker. He has been carrying qld for the past 2 seasons. Some of his performances in super 12 have been extraordinary. He was super v england as well I thought.
yeah he was good, but he would be behind robinson and muliania for full back duties....... i think giters deserves a spot on the field..... he was top 5 in the world this year

this is the final team, i believe........ (for best XXII)
15. Jason Robinson (ENG)
14. Doug Howlett (NZ)
13. Brian O’Driscoll (IRE)
12. Tana Umaga (NZ)
11. Lote Tuqiri (AUS)
10. Matt Giteau (AUS)
9. Agustin Pichot (ARG)
8. Imanol Harinordoquy (FRA)
7. Phil Waugh (AUS)
6. Schalk Burger Jnr. (SA)
5. Nathan Sharpe (AUS)
4. Chris Jack (NZ)
3. Sylvain Marconnet (FRA)
2. Federico Mendez (ARG)
1. Os Du Randt (SA)

Reserves:
16. Steve Thompson (ENG)
17. Carl Hayman (NZ)
18. Richie McCaw (NZ)
19. Joe Van Niekerk (SA)
20. Justin Marshall (NZ)
21. Daniel Carter (NZ)
22. Mils Muliaina (NZ)

With apologies to:
Stirling Mortlock (AUS)
Joe Rokocoko (NZ)
Jonny Wilkinson (ENG)

Snickers said:
this is the final team, i believe........ (for best XXII)
15. Jason Robinson (ENG)
14. Doug Howlett (NZ)
13. Brian O’Driscoll (IRE)
12. Tana Umaga (NZ)
11. Lote Tuqiri (AUS)
10. Matt Giteau (AUS)
9. Agustin Pichot (ARG)
8. Imanol Harinordoquy (FRA)
7. Phil Waugh (AUS)
6. Schalk Burger Jnr. (SA)
5. Nathan Sharpe (AUS)
4. Chris Jack (NZ)