World's Best XV

Remove this Banner Ad

This is based on international performances since the world cup.

bear in mind i haven't seen a whole lot of some of these guys (mainly front rowers), which as people have said, it is hard to know how these guys are going unless you actually watch the games.

15 - Chris Latham (AUS) (finally reach his potential)
14 - Joe Rocokocko (NZL)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (IRE)
12 - Matt Giteau (AUS)
11 - Lote Tiquri (AUS)
10 - Daniel Carter (NZL)
9 - James Marshall (NZL) (c)
8 - Imanol Harinqourday (FRN)
7 - Richie McCaw (NZL)
6 - Schalk Burger (SAF)
5 - Chris Jack (NZL)
4 - Paul O'Connell (IRE)
3 - Carl Hayman (NZL)
2 - Frederico Mendez (ARG)
1 - Sylvain Marconnet (FRN)

16 - Os Du Rant (SAF)
17 - Steven Thompson (ENG)
18 - Nathan Sharpe (AUS)
19 - Rodney So'oialo (NZL)
20 - Stephen Larkham (AUS)
21 - Tana Umaga (NZL)
22 - Jason Robinson (ENG)

Duggie said:
no that would be an all time best xv, are u a child or what. and if u think carter is better than wilko then u mustnt have seen much of johnny.

So tell me you dimwit if a world's best XV isn't a current world's best XV & it's not an all time best XV then what the f*** is it?

Is it a XV of the what you think all the world's best players would be if they were all fit & playing well?

And yeah I reckon I've seen a damn sight more of Wilkinson than you & at this moment in time Carter is better than him because Wilkinson can't withstand physical contact AND such is the nature of his long term injury he may never be the same player again.

Farrand said:
Problem with Wilkinson is that he is too fragile.

Well he's never been fragile before the injury that has kept him for so long, but it's true it may make him fragile from now on.

Plus, he's not a fantastic tackler as much as some believe he is. He ocassionally makes the big tackle, but the last time he did it was on Giteau in the World Cup Final.

Well it's not surprising that the last big tackle you remember him making was in the world cup because that's the last international that he played.
I've gotta say you're wrong on his tackling, not only does he make plenty of spectacular big tackles but he also hardly ever lets anyone get past him on his channel despite the fact that he gets the big back row boys steaming straight at him, he did one on a SA backrower that smashed the bloke into next week.There's never been a 10 who's tackled like him, compare him to some of the other 10s in the tackle(LArkham, Michelak ect) & you see how special this part of his game is, the main problem England have had is trying to stop him doing so much tackling because it's no good having your playmaker at the bottom of a ruck.

The only redeeming feature about him is that he is a good playmaker and kicker.

Not being funny but if your 10 is a good playmaker & a good kicker then you can be pretty happy, that's the main part of the job.

He probably doesn't have the ability to make a break that some of really creative 10s can but history shows that those that can play a good structured game usually have more success ie Grant Fox, Michael Lynagh.

DIPPER said:
Well he's never been fragile before the injury that has kept him for so long, but it's true it may make him fragile from now on.

Well it's not surprising that the last big tackle you remember him making was in the world cup because that's the last international that he played.

In fairness, I live in England and wathc the Zurich, and he is nothing special with his tackling there. In fact, he tends to shrug away from the toughy stuff.
I have seen him make an awesome tackle against one of the French centres in 99, can't remember which one is was right now, but it was fantastic. However, it is one of the few he does make.
Larkham can actually make the big tackle, plus he has an aggressiveness to him (fighting with Spencer during the tri-nations.)
Michelak is overrated, and more a scrum-half anyway.
Earl Va'a is a fantastic fly-half for Samoa, big guy, tackles well, play makes, so he either is the fly-half you're wanting, or not a fly half at all depending on the guidelines.
Now O'Gara, this guy is fantastic, absolute all-rounder. He not only has abilites to rival Wilkinson, but he tackles well, and reads the play well. Definitely the Fly-Half for the Lions.
The kind of fly-half you're talking about is French.

Farrand said:
In fairness, I live in England and wathc the Zurich, and he is nothing special with his tackling there. In fact, he tends to shrug away from the toughy stuff.
I have seen him make an awesome tackle against one of the French centres in 99, can't remember which one is was right now, but it was fantastic. However, it is one of the few he does make.

Well I suppose we'll have to disagree on this, but most observers do tend to think that his tackling is one of his biggest strengths, I certainly don't think that he shrugs away from the tough stuff.

The tackle count after most England games always showed him well to the fore, sometimes putting in more than his back row men.

For me where he falls down is that he's not a real natural ball player like Larkham or indeed Charlie Hodgson.

The one against the French was 2001 I think, it was Emile N'tmak, but to be fair if there's a video out there of his big hits it would be pretty impressive, as I said he smashed one of the SA backrowers into the dirt once, it was a pretty amazing sight.

I suppose I just naturally take a critical view to Wilko but I agree to disagree.
Plus, I've never played fly-half, played Number 8 and ocassionally outside centre, but I can empathise with the fact that its very different being on the field for them, there's a lot to do.
And Wilko's tackle definitely was N'tmak

bullish23 said:
replace waugh with smith
No!!!!!!!!!! George Smith was extremely unlucky to miss out in the XXII but Phil Waugh is the best Flanker in the world i have no doubt in my mind at all about that.

Fire Storm said:
What would you know, Snickers? I'll tell you - nothing.
Get back to your ****** little rugby league, pansie, and stick your finger up their a*s*s, moron.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back