Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

Butcher Port Power close thread

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
One of the most appropriately named footballers in the AFL

The opposition that day was sponsored by Dodge, and as part of their sponsorship package this guy played a one off game

Pacific Northwest Badass GIF by Northwest Motorsport

It would have to be?

Imagine the one contest that breaks your collarbone, concusses you AND ruptures your ACL!!

In the midst of one of the worst periods of any side in the history of the game (aggregate 360 point loss over 3 games), Butcher actually was their shining light. Kicked 11 goals in 3 games and kicked straight as well
Which didn't last long.

I saw Folau line up on Luke McPharlin at Optus in 2013. Must have been one of those Kevin Sheedy "He'll learn the game if he plays on someone good" ideas. I think McPharlin had 8 or 9 marks before Folau had touched it. Was brutal.
Must’ve been 2012 mate. He wasn’t here in 2013

IIRC he was apparently an absolute spanker and completely full of himself before even playing a game.

Pretty sure he lined up on Tom Harley in a VFL game in 07 when Harley was coming back from injury. Told him he was going to end his career. He ended up with two games; Harley with two Premierships as captain lol

Anthony Rocca.

Got confused with a dude who played for NM once.

please to both of you

Melbourne took Luke Molan with pick 9 in the 2001 superdraft.

He never played a game

View attachment 1931569

Also took Lucas Cook at pick 12 in 2010 and once again he never played a game
View attachment 1931570
Pretty sure Lucas Cook broke the record for the slowest player ever tested at the AFL Combine, I remember Emma Quale tweeted it at the time, and then Melbourne drafted him at pick 12 as a lead-up forward.
Just mind-boggling how incompetent they have been over the years.

Last edited:
Doesn't quite fit the 50 game mark, but at 44 games Paul Chambers was the worst I saw. No idea how he got on an AFL list and no idea why we took him off Geelong. He was hopeless.

Mark Orchard was pretty rough. We shipped him back to Collingwood after 2 years on our list. Wasn't great

Lachlan Murphy.

No other club would carry him to 100 games, but he exemplies the Crows philosophy of honest triers who come from good families but has little football ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachlan Murphy.

No other club would carry him to 100 games, but he exemplies the Crows philosophy of honest triers who come from good families but has little football ability.
Timeout.

You once carried a crab to a bees you know from 250 games.
Mackay is still the crows clubhouse leader.

Mitch Thorp had no luck with injury. Constant niggles plus a few serious injuries which prevented him from ever getting a clear run at it. He broke the sesamoid bone in his foot and needed surgery to pin it and remove bone fragments. Lost a season with that. Even more problematic was a hip injury which required two operations.

He ended up playing some decent footy down in the Tassie league and skippered a TSL premiership for South Launceston, but his injuries had robbed him of any pace & agility he showed as a highly promising 17-year-old forward. He still showed skill and obvious ability, but he was a shell of the athlete he once was.

I'd put Thorp in the same category as Scott Gumbleton from that same 2006 Draft as two promising young CHFs whose careers were ruined by injuries.

The majority of the 1st Round draft picks who never made it usually had a history of debilitating injuries. But this doesn't stop all the oxygen thieves from bagging them out on Big Footy. (Usually people who never played the game and have NFI)
When a horse breaks a sesamoid we usually have to put them down

Israel Folau would have to be up there surely.
Callan Ward said in 2020 that he was never convinced Folau would make it.

Ward told Mike Sheahan that he didn't agree with Sheedy's views about Folau's AFL ability.

“He improved so much in terms of his fitness and understanding football … but he was a long way off.

“He was our worst runner by a long way, and he’d improved so much with his running.

“I know you don’t always need to be a good runner to play footy, but his game sense and awareness wasn’t there, his kicking was not too bad, but it wasn’t good.

“I just didn’t think he’d make it, to put it simply.”

Callan Ward said in 2020 that he was never convinced Folau would make it.

Ward told Mike Sheahan that he didn't agree with Sheedy's views about Folau's AFL ability.

“He improved so much in terms of his fitness and understanding football … but he was a long way off.

“He was our worst runner by a long way, and he’d improved so much with his running.

“I know you don’t always need to be a good runner to play footy, but his game sense and awareness wasn’t there, his kicking was not too bad, but it wasn’t good.

“I just didn’t think he’d make it, to put it simply.”
Back when he was being touted as the high profile NRL player I always thought he was the wrong target.

For mine it should’ve been Jarryd Hayne.

Who turned out to be a worse human than Folau.

Still, 13 games of AFL in his life and here we are still talking about him, 12 years later.

Certainly not in a good way, but he still generates chat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back