Remove this Banner Ad

ApplecrossWC

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Taken from the You Am I website and Facebook:

"Here it is people, on the 7th of June You Am I will be re-releasing Sound As Ever, Hi Fi Way and Hourly, Daily through Sony Music. Each album will be re-mastered and feature a second bonus disc with B-sides, live recordings, live studio tracks and expanded booklets with a bunch of cool rare pictures and memorabilia from each era.

We know how much everyone enjoys a good rock show so You Am I are also very excited to announce we will be touring both Hourly, Daily AND Hi Fi Way in July and August."

Who will be going? Personally, I can't wait and will probably get the pack available Friday morning that contains a ticket, the 3 remastered albums (sound as ever too), limited edition 7" vinyl, 32 page signed show program and some other stuff.

http://youami.com.au/news

Interesting.

I loved Sound As Ever, one of the great debut records.

I liked Hi Fi Way & Hourly Daily too.

Not sure though. Never saw You Am I again (or bought an album!) after Palace Shows for Hi Fi Way. I didnt like Rogers' attitude to the audience. To effing pretentious.

Still I might get involved in this.

What happened here?

Basically Rogers was incoherent from song 1, could barely play guitar at all. His bandmates were getting noticeably shitty with him as the set went on. He actually fell off the front of the stage at one point! Anyway about halfway through the set I think Andy Kent had something to say, Rogers challenged him, the drummer leapt over his kit to separate them and the set ended with the whole band in a melee moving back behind the stage curtain.

Missy Higgins and the Beautiful Girls came out and did a mini set in the absence of You Am I. Missy seemed not quite with it during the performance, found out later she'd been hugged (read tackled) by an extremely intoxicated Rogers backstage, hit her head and got a concussion!

Wasn't only the piss that night with Rogers either, believe he'd been on the amphetamines for a few days so the story goes, he was certainly all over the shop. Though the other times I've seen em they've been great, prepared to forgive them this (large) *up.

Went to the gig in Melbourne tonight and it was amazing.

One of the best shows I've seen. Was fantastic to hear Hourly Daily performed live with the horns and cello included.

Tim was in fine form, his voice was great and also had a few bits of great banter. Fantastic show!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I regret missing this.

Edit: wait, they added new shows. Now I don't regret anything.

As a side note, I hope Tim cleans himself up.

Yeah I believe there's a 2nd show in Sydney now. They ended up playing 4 shows down here.

Tim was in fine form, probably the best I've seen him and his voice sounded great. They even had a costume change in between albums and played a few of the Hifi Way songs just as a 3 piece. He got a little emotional when he talked about Chrissy Amphlette and during "Handwasher" I think it was.

There was some great banter with the crowd as well. Something about walking through St Kilda alone and seeing all these people eating in restaurants, couples kissing on the corner blah blah poor me but then I remember... I'm Tim ******* Rogers. Haha.

Yeah I believe there's a 2nd show in Sydney now. They ended up playing 4 shows down here.

Tim was in fine form, probably the best I've seen him and his voice sounded great. They even had a costume change in between albums and played a few of the Hifi Way songs just as a 3 piece. He got a little emotional when he talked about Chrissy Amphlette and during "Handwasher" I think it was.

There was some great banter with the crowd as well. Something about walking through St Kilda alone and seeing all these people eating in restaurants, couples kissing on the corner blah blah poor me but then I remember... I'm Tim ******* Rogers. Haha.

Awesome.

What time did they go on stage? Was there a support act?

Saw them tonight and absolutely loved it. Tim was in a good mood, they were tight and the crowd loved it. Loved the cover of Young Mans Blues too in the encore and every track reminding me of something in my life where I was somewhere listening to certain tracks. I'm quite happy for that to be the last time I ever see them and go out on a high. A band that's been so important to me for more years than I care to remember but I've gotta say goodbye.

To quote the liner notes from Hi-Fi Way...GOD BLESS THE ******* LOT OF US.

Just to elaborate slightly on my post show post above.. last night was a great gig. I thought Uncle Timmy had blown his amp at one stage but luckily just turned out to be a dodgy lead. Looking at the equipment on stage before hand was enough to get me excited. I think Davey is the first guy I've seen play a Brian May guitar on stage besides Brian May.

Anyway, Young Man Blues absolutely rocked. Tim let some guy in the front of the crowd strum his guitar while he fretted the chords in one song. Did a good job too. Then he jumped down into the crowd at one stage pointing at someone and I thought here we go, he's going to whack a punter and ruin it. Turned out to be giving some girl a peck on the cheek.

I'm glad my worries that they might not be into it by this stage were just that. It was an explosion of great music delivered with the enthusiasm and soul it was created with.

5 stars! Would go again.

Glad everyone enjoyed it. I wish I went to more than one Melbourne show.

It was so great to hear Hourly Daily with the strings and horns.

This was a good show, though a real melancholy vibe.

And I still remained like 10 years below the median age in the crowd, despite it being 11 years since my first You Am I show

This was a good show, though a real melancholy vibe.

And I still remained like 10 years below the median age in the crowd, despite it being 11 years since my first You Am I show

What do you mean? What show were you at? I must have seen one of the last shows and they were all really joyful.. if they were ever going to be melancholy I would have thought it towards the end of the tour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back