You'll never guess what the 2021 free kick differential chart looks like

Remove this Banner Ad

But honestly, why do many people say that Richmond’s bad differential is because of gamestyle but don’t say the same thing about Bulldogs’ positive differential? Honest question.

It’s strange to see quite a few people doing this. Putting one outlier down to their gamestyle and the other outlier down to some conspiracy just to suit their narrative. From where I am sitting, either something weird is happening with both or both can somewhat be explained by their style of play. I am leaning towards both being explained by the gamestyle tbh.

It would be nice to see someone actually collate a breakdown of these free kicks and what they are for. For example, does Richmond cop a lot of HTB free kicks and don’t get them back as often and is Bulldogs the opposite of this? If that’s the case, maybe Bulldogs have the best tackling technique and are the strongest at breaking a tackle while Richmond have the worst tackling technique and are the weakest at breaking a tackle.

I don’t think anyone can be bothered at this point lol, but that may explain the outliers. Or not. Maybe we look at that and notice that the umps just tend to favour Bulldogs and are harsher on Richmond.
Don't come around here with your common sense. It's clear what should happen, a huge media outcry about the team with the greatest positive differential ending in a AFL umpires review and umpires being cautioned about being influenced by crowds at said teams home games.

That was the worst I've seen in a big game for sure, that second half destroyed the Swans

The umpires tried their best to get the Bulldogs over the line in their elimination final against us last year as well, free kicks were 15-8 in their favour.

do Porkins pushes in the backs of opponents when in packs count ? see the sookie grub got fined yet again for his distasteful habit ;)
anyone else consistently doing this an its front and back page fish n chip paper,karmas a beearch Porkins:cool:
is there anyone else in the league that gets fined for giving away random frees like Porkins ?
i cant recall anybody getting fined for holding the man too much or holding the ball too much or running too far or chopping the arms too many times
but to continually get fined for pushing blokes in the back ?:think::think: whats that saying?

Nice melt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well when you have Macrae, Hunter and Weightman running around for 2 hours looking to drop their knees and throw their heads back then I'm not remotely surprised. All 3 are a disgrace to the game. Not to mention Toby McLean. And then you throw in Bontempelli who gets so much protection from the umps it's laughable. I swear they go into each game trying to find ways not to pay dropping the ball against Bont. Brownlow is definitely his because the umps are always looking out for him, even if subconsciously.

Richmond’s six closest matches whilst still a realistic chance to make finals resulted in 5 wins and 1 loss to the Tigers.

Richmond lost every free kick count in those 6 matches. V Port, Eagles, Suns, Giants(first match,) Magpies, Dockers.

The free kick differential in those six games was and eye-watering 89-139. Roughly averaging 15 free kicks to Richmond and 23 against. These 6 games accounted for 59% of Richmond’s overall free kick deficit in 2021. Richmond’s free kick deficit from these 6 games(the 6 closest games Richmond played in while they were a chance to make finals) was far greater than any other team’s free kick deficit for the whole season. 😱

In the other 16 games that didn’t matter or weren’t decided by 16 points or less, the average reverts to 18 free kicks for and 20 against. These 16 games accounted for 41% of Richmond’s free kick deficit in 2021.

How much difference would an 8 free kick differential make in a match? Well, for a start, roughly 1 in 8 free kicks results in a goal. So there is one goal value straight up. Then I would estimate would estimate the other 7 free kicks would each have roughly a bit over half the value of an average inside 50. Approximately every 4th inside 50 results directly in a goal, so let’s say these other 7 frees are worth 4 points on average. So the umps robbed 10 points per match off us in these tight game, on average. How many results would have changed if we’d been umpired fairly? Four of our losses would have become 3 wins and a draw, giving us a 12 win and 2 draws season and elevating Richmond to 7th position on the ladder, where we would have no doubt beaten Swans this week before our annual finals dismantling of the pussies the week after to eliminate them in straight sets. To be honest though, even given fair umpiring I doubt we would have got much further than that. That’s the famous Tiger supporter humility coming out in me right there, always self effacing, always unassuming. 😎

So the umps under Steven Hocking didn’t so much destroy us this year. It was more a dismembering with surgical precision. 😩😩😩

I have it on good authority that Hayden Kennedy honourably resigned as Ump’s Head Coach over Richmond’s treatment. Serial umpire interferer S. Hocking was eventually asked to resign over it, so heads did roll. Meanwhile at Pussy Paddock Hocking was immediately promoted from undercover agent to their highest executive position for his sterling work in the field. 😱

Please feel free to shoot the messenger Catbags. 😁

Oh, and thanks for pick 7 scumpires. And pick 26, and 44…..😍😍😍😍

Last edited:
Richmond’s six closest matches whilst still a realistic chance to make finals resulted in 5 wins and 1 loss to the Tigers.

Richmond lost every free kick count in those 6 matches. V Port, Eagles, Suns, Giants(first match,) Magpies, Dockers.

The free kick differential in those six games was and eye-watering 89-139. Roughly averaging 15 free kicks to Richmond and 23 against. These 6 games accounted for 59% of Richmond’s overall free kick deficit in 2021. Richmond’s free kick deficit from these 6 games(the 6 closest games Richmond played in while they were a chance to make finals) was far greater than any other team’s free kick deficit for the whole season. 😱

In the other 16 games that didn’t matter or weren’t decided by 16 points or less, the average reverts to 18 free kicks for and 20 against. These 16 games accounted for 41% of Richmond’s free kick deficit in 2021.

How much difference would an 8 free kick differential make in a match? Well, for a start, roughly 1 in 8 free kicks results in a goal. So there is one goal value straight up. Then I would estimate would estimate the other 7 free kicks would each have roughly a bit over half the value of an average inside 50. Approximately every 4th inside 50 results in a goal, so let’s say these other 7 frees are worth 4 points on average. So the umps robbed 10 points per match off us in these tight game, on average. How many results would have changed if we’d been umpired fairly? Four of our losses would have become 3 wins and a draw, giving us a 12 win and 2 draws season and elevating Richmond to 7th position on the ladder, where we would have no doubt beaten Swans this week before our annual finals dismantling of the pussies the week after to eliminate them in straight sets. To be honest though, even given fair umpiring I doubt we would have got much further than that. That’s the famous Tiger supporter humility coming out in me right there, always self effacing, always unassuming. 😎

So the umps under Stephen Hocking didn’t so much destroy us this year. It was more a dismembering with surgical precision. 😩😩😩

I have it on good authority that Hayden Kennedy honourably resigned as Ump’s Head Coach over Richmond’s treatment. Serial umpire interferer S. Hocking was eventually asked to resign over it, so heads did roll. Meanwhile at Pussy Paddock Hocking was immediately promoted from undercover agent to their highest executive position for his sterling work in the field. 😱

Please feel free to shoot the messenger Catbags. 😁

Oh, and thanks for pick 7 scumpires. And pick 26, and 44…..😍😍😍😍

Are you trolling or being serious .... Or both?

Yeah, it's got to the point that Tiger fans just expect to be reamed. I'd love a good study on the free kicks because it is just so strange.

But then the whole rule book these days is strange.

Are you trolling or being serious .... Or both?

Yeah, it's got to the point that Tiger fans just expect to be reamed. I'd love a good study on the free kicks because it is just so strange.

But then the whole rule book these days is strange.

The figures are all for real.

But there may be a bit of cat baiting there at the end. Their usual bunch of conspiracy theorist theorists should be along any minute right on cue. Wherever someone uncovers evil wrongdoing around here, the cat pack accuse them of being a conspiracy theorist. Something about tin foil hats something something…😉

The figures are all for real.

But there may be a bit of cat baiting there at the end. Their usual bunch of conspiracy theorist theorists should be along any minute right on cue. Wherever someone uncovers evil wrongdoing around here, the cat pack accuse them of being a conspiracy theorist. Something about tin foil hats something something…😉

Sorry mate, had some work to do. Here now though, what are you after?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back