Your favourite workout

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm doing a block of SL 5x5 at the moment to try build up my squats a bit and I'm really enjoying squatting every session.

I've switched to working out in the mornings and I feel awesome for the rest of the day after a few rounds of squats.

Catylist was awesome last night, well worth watching a few times.

Yeah I took a look at it last night, there was some good stuff in there.

The results of the experiment on the mice with the faulty mitochondrial repair were very interesting.

My favorite is actually one of those that people actually don't link. CRUNCHES! I like working on my core, not too strenuous but effective nonetheless.

At Crossfit we did a workout the other day that was fun. We had a pack of cards. Each suit stood for a different exercise(diamonds =push ups, hearts = pull ups, spades = box burpees and clubs = kettle bell swings). Someone drew a card and if it was say the 6 of diamonds we had do 6 push ups). If it was a face card we had to a 200 metre run. It was fun except the bit where we drew three face cards in a row.
You lost me at 'crossfit'. No crossfit workout is good.

Because crossfit is not a reputable way to exercise, nor is it safe

Any evidence to back your claims or are you just going on hearsay?

Any evidence to back your claims or are you just going on hearsay?
Probably the professional experience I have in the field and the fact that I have had personal experiences with 46 individuals in the past 6 months who sustained serious injuries through crossfit workouts. That is good enough for me.

Probably the professional experience I have in the field and the fact that I have had personal experiences with 46 individuals in the past 6 months who sustained serious injuries through crossfit workouts. That is good enough for me.

Fair enough. I've been doing crossfit three or four times a week for the last six months with around ten people in each session and don't know of anyone who has sustained a serious injury. That's good enough for me.

Crossfit is generally a fancy was of saying "expensive interval training" however I like Lee Priest's take on it - if it gets people exercising who normally wouldn't do so it's a wonderful thing.

Fair enough. I've been doing crossfit three or four times a week for the last six months with around ten people in each session and don't know of anyone who has sustained a serious injury. That's good enough for me.
That's great. My issue is beginners (which are the majority of people who do not know much about exercise or are very inexperienced in this field, I'd say 80% of the general population) being thrown into sessions run by non qualified 'professionals' who have a bigger ego than resume. These so called professional trainers claim to know how to train and manage people in a group environment where resistance training is applied with the philosophy of 'exert, fatigue, repeat'. There is no emphasis on recovery. Combining high intensity power lifts, where correct form is not taught, with high intensity cardiovascular interval training is simply dangerous, particularly with the individuals I have dealt with. One of my clients, a 37 year old male who hadn't trained with weights for over a decade was asked to complete 20 repetitions of squats to full depth with a 60kg bar and then complete 10x box jumps followed by a 200 metre interval run. He was asked to complete this 5 times over. Not only did he almost go into atrial fibrillation and had to see a Doctor and Cardiologist, he sustained severe back pain in which his discs were partially bulged. He has been advised through his legal counsel on my behalf to sue this company, and I am advising him on his recovery protocol.

So, steering away from crossfit is 'good enough for me'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my clients, a 37 year old male who hadn't trained with weights for over a decade was asked to complete 20 repetitions of squats to full depth with a 60kg bar and then complete 10x box jumps followed by a 200 metre interval run. He was asked to complete this 5 times over. Not only did he almost go into atrial fibrillation and had to see a Doctor and Cardiologist, he sustained severe back pain in which his discs were partially bulged. He has been advised through his legal counsel on my behalf to sue this company, and I am advising him on his recovery protocol.

To me that's an incompetent trainer and possibly unqualified trainer at fault not crossfit itself. The crossfit I go to we are asked before every session whether there are any injuries or things they should be aware of and they scale each person accordingly. I have also never been asked to do 20 repetitions in a row at Crossfit. The most I have ever done is 5x3 reps with a rest between each set. If the trainers spot us losing form at any stage they make us stop and scale us back.

Last edited:
Crossfit is generally a fancy was of saying "expensive interval training" however I like Lee Priest's take on it - if it gets people exercising who normally wouldn't do so it's a wonderful thing.

You could also look at it as cheap personal training. I pay $35 a week for unlimited sessions. Whereas a half hour personal training session is something like $40.

Last edited:
To me that's an incompetent trainer and possibly unqualified trainer at fault not crossfit itself. The crossfit I go to we are asked before every session whether there are any injuries or things they should be aware of and they scale each person accordingly. I have also never been asked to do 20 repetitions in a row at Crossfit. The most I have ever done is 5x3 reps with a rest between each set. If the trainers spot us losing form at any stage they make us stop and scale us back.
Crossfit as a concept is flawed. Just you tube 'crossfit games' and look at a competitive deadlift.

My favorite is actually one of those that people actually don't link. CRUNCHES! I like working on my core, not too strenuous but effective nonetheless.

Crunches can actually do more harm than good, so be careful.
They can cause tight hip flexors, which causes your pelvis to tilt forward and your glutes to switch off.

There is a huge misconception in the community about what constitutes the core (most people think it is just your abs) and unfortunately, many people are wasting their time by doing 1000s of sit ups and crunches.

I don't know what he looks like so I was picturing Leon Cameron's stupid face instead

It's a pretty punchable face.

252713-graeme-allan.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back