Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a joke.
Was actually listening to some concert via youtube and was thinking s**t, how come never appreciated how many good songs these guys produced.
Slower paced music than I would normally listen to.

Man of Colours is insanely good

Man of Colours is insanely good
This is literally the first week in my life I have really listened to any Icehouse for more than a random song on the radio.
I actually cannot believe how good they are now I spent a number of hours this week listening to random concerts uploaded by others on youtube.
There are a lot of songs I have heard before on radio as a kid that I probably never took notice of band name but it turns out they have a lot more than just a few songs like Electric Blue that I knew and liked from the 80's. There is lots of stuff way earlier that never mentally noted was them but hearing in concert their songs come across so much better than radio.
One song I heard three or four times this week is "Hey Little Girl" that really grown on me hearing the funky guitar playing in it. What I heard on radio as a kid never stood out to me but live it is so much better.

I love how I can discover bands on youtube I never took much of notice of before.

I love Icehouse, but they are the kind of band people love to hate.

They have 2 decent albums and their early albums are worth a listen as well.

Unless someone can prove me wrong. They lack variation. Like Mumford and Sons
You can argue about the quality, but KoL never lacked variation.

First LP was a homage to classic rock. Strongly CCR influenced - lots of brash guitars eg Ramble Ramble, also had plenty of folk inspired songs that sounded like Blonde on Blonde era Bob Dylan - eg Trani.

Second LP they expanded on that sound, but stylistic they went closer to indie rock or garage rock. They started focusing a lot more on melodies and properly layering guitars rather than having them double over the top. Dunno exactly what you’d call it, but a lot of their guitar breaks sounded ‘beachy’ and a lot more deliberate than some of their previous tangled solos (which also sound pretty good tbf).

Third LP they’d clearly crossed over into the mainstream, became a staple indie rock band and started experimenting with some more atmospheric sounds and longer songs. Still a southern rock link, but with more epic arrangements. Sounded a bit like LCW era Modest Mouse with some of those slow builders eg Knocked Up. Even dabbled in gospel (Trunk).

Fourth-Fifth LP’s they’d become a household name, the music became more accessible again and started churning out some charting singles. Most of the album songs aren’t a huge departure from BotT. They’d just watered their sound down again and purposefully wrote songs for stadiums. Closer, Crawl etc - songs with big drum sounds.

The last couple are pure radio rock albums. Some of the singles were probably used in TV shows.

Mumford & Sons I agree with. Their lyrics make me cringe hardcore.

This is literally the first week in my life I have really listened to any Icehouse for more than a random song on the radio.
I actually cannot believe how good they are now I spent a number of hours this week listening to random concerts uploaded by others on youtube.
There are a lot of songs I have heard before on radio as a kid that I probably never took notice of band name but it turns out they have a lot more than just a few songs like Electric Blue that I knew and liked from the 80's. There is lots of stuff way earlier that never mentally noted was them but hearing in concert their songs come across so much better than radio.
One song I heard three or four times this week is "Hey Little Girl" that really grown on me hearing the funky guitar playing in it. What I heard on radio as a kid never stood out to me but live it is so much better.

I love how I can discover bands on youtube I never took much of notice of before.

This iconic Icehouse track is simply timeless, superb vocals from Iva Davies, decent video clip too:

Last edited:
For the metalheads out there, it's gotta be Between the Buried and Me, for mine.
Wouldn’t considered myself a metalhead but I love BTBAM.

Not even really sure you can categorise them as metal - closer to progressive metalcore. There’s definitely some heavier aspects to their playing, it just doesn’t quite have the aesthetics.

Wouldn’t considered myself a metalhead but I love BTBAM.

Not even really sure you can categorise them as metal - closer to progressive metalcore. There’s definitely some heavier aspects to their playing, it just doesn’t quite have the aesthetics.
I fully acknowledge they fall under the metalcore banner, so it's all good there :) However, when I speak of metal, it encompasses metalcore

In my eyes, they do seem overhyped, though. I mean, I have nothing against those who appreciate them, just never really understood their appeal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fully acknowledge they fall under the metalcore banner, so it's all good there :) However, when I speak of metal, it encompasses metalcore

In my eyes, they do seem overhyped, though. I mean, I have nothing against those who appreciate them, just never really understood their appeal

I think they're a band that a lot wouldn't "get", I don't mind them but can't say I"ve listened to them for a long time.

Icehouse is amazing. Get yourself a copy of Whiteheat best of album including the DVD with all of their music videos.

I don’t think BTBAM are hyped anywhere other than the internet. I’m not sure I have many mates who know who they are and the one friend who introduced them to me isn’t a massive fan either and did so by accident.

I get they aren’t everyone’s bag, they play a pretty specific kind of music that can alienate listeners who’d otherwise be interested eg prog metal fans or hardcore fans but that’s one of the biggest appeals to me. They flow seamlessly through Converge style choppy riffs to soaring melodic sections.

The quality of lyrics is also in the upper tier for prog metal/metalcore IMO.

Look poliphia have set the trend and I love it. So more instrumental
bands are coming out but I ask where are the vocals . Only a few bands can pull off no Vox . I love vocals but they must complement..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I dont get Polyphia. Great technical skills, but meh...no soul.
I want emotion from my music, not technical wizadry.
I am a guitarist myself, and its the sort of stuff I put in the music for musicians bag, along with jazz.
This dosent hold true 100%, but close enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back