80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:

35pts today. Played at Toowoomba Golf Club (as a guest of a sponsor). Started on the back 9 and had 21pts and true to my form at this course I finished with 14pts on the front 9. That was actually overachieving on the front. I always struggle for some reason.

Ok so recently having gone through a lot of personal issues and some mental health stuff I’ve taken up the walk-spoiler sport after basically 20 years since I played regularly. I was off about 14 when I was a teenager but played maybe twice a year since then.

wanted to take up a sport that could give me some me time.

I was stressing about buying a membership as I’m fairly hard up for cash but believe it or not won a Facebook competition and got a free one here in Bathurst.

im playing my first comp tomorrow, they’ve put me off 18 but I think 22-23 would be closer to the mark based on my numbers in my handicap rounds.

I’m one of those players who if you watched every second shot you’d think I was off single figures, if you watched every other shot you’d swear I was off 40.

I’m a bit nervous actually as I’ve never played competitively before but I genuinely cannot wait. I’ve started to love the game again.

Ok so recently having gone through a lot of personal issues and some mental health stuff I’ve taken up the walk-spoiler sport after basically 20 years since I played regularly. I was off about 14 when I was a teenager but played maybe twice a year since then.

I was stressing about buying a membership as I’m fairly hard up for cash but believe it or not won a Facebook competition and got a free one here in Bathurst.

im playing my first comp tomorrow, they’ve put me off 18 but I think 22-23 would be closer to the mark based on my numbers in my handicap rounds.

I’m one of those players who if you watched every second shot you’d think I was off single figures, if you watched every other shot you’d swear I was off 40.

I’m a bit nervous actually as I’ve never played competitively before but I genuinely cannot wait. I’ve started to love the game again.

never played competitively but was off 14 before?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

never played competitively but was off 14 before?

I had a junior membership at my home club in Forbes (fairly straightforward course) as a kid and played virtually every day of the holidays for a year or two but was a bit shy about actually competing. I was a cricketer not a golfer. Completely packed it in once I moved to uni and some campaigner stole my clubs out of my car in the second week I was there.

I had a junior membership at my home club in Forbes (fairly straightforward course) as a kid and played virtually every day of the holidays for a year or two but was a bit shy about actually competing. I was a cricketer not a golfer. Completely packed it in once I moved to uni and some campaigner stole my clubs out of my car in the second week I was there.
s**t. campaigner will get his/hers

so you just played handicapped rounds (handed in cards) but not "in the comp"?

sh*t. campaigner will get his/hers

so you just played handicapped rounds (handed in cards) but not "in the comp"?

Technically speaking I didn’t even hand cards in I just recorded all my scores and was generally shooting about 85-86 - adjusted to a harder course maybe they’d be 90+, I don’t really know. Right now is the first time I’ve ever had an official handicap, I just always theorised roughly what I’d be off.

Technically speaking I didn’t even hand cards in I just recorded all my scores and was generally shooting about 85-86 - adjusted to a harder course maybe they’d be 90+, I don’t really know. Right now is the first time I’ve ever had an official handicap, I just always theorised roughly what I’d be off.
ah ok.
just treat the comp teh same as a social round. enjoy the walk. comps will create my focus in your game. good luck!

Have a couple of beers before your round. It works for me.
Btw, a couple doesn’t mean 6. 😃

Lol I’m teeing off at 7.20 so I’d be doing well - but I’m thinking about packing a few cans in the cooler to take the edge off
Quick little nip from a hip flask
I have a beer before every round even if it’s at 6:30 in the morning. Never any spirits as I never play well. Probably because it destroys my focus. My wife just shakes her head. However, I’m not a big drinker.

At the first tee or home?
In the car park when I arrive.
I used to have one on the way to golf and then one day I didn’t open it. I pulled into a side street to get Maccas for brekky and the cops were doing RBT in said street. The bloke that tested me was my wife’s best friends husband. He’s saying as a joke that I’d be blind for sure. I’m nervously laughing as my stubby was half hiding under my golf cap on the front passenger seat. 😬

Last edited:

Let us know how you went and what the Bathurst Golf Course is like? I’ve heard great things about the course. They say it’s up there with The Great Race.

Just taken up golf after for years suggesting I’d play bowls over golf “when I got old”. Turn 30 next month so got there a bit sooner, but 8 weeks ago a local club started offering a free weekly clinic with one of their plus markers and a guy who was a pro.

Been a couple of weeks since those clinics finished but I’ve got my handicap (36) and have been hitting 500 balls at the range a week. Bought my own club set package, and being the all gear no idea bloke i am have also dropped a few dollars on clothing. Will engage those guys from the clinics for a bit of one on one time because unlike other sports I’ve played I’ve noticed tangible improvement with my game and I’m pretty keen now.

Shot a pretty poor, beer induced 130 having a * around hit with a mate at a different club last week but going to my “home club” tomorrow for a serious game (of social golf for excercise of course under restrictions, but also for handicapping purposes) so will see how I go.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back