-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
We got some holes in! yay.

a strange 33 today for me on gunamatta. nothing worked except the driver on the first 9. scared to putt, shorted everything.

second 9 reeled off some birds and pars.

foggy start

Last edited:

Far out...tough day for me but enjoyable all the same. Worse start to a round of golf for a long time.....14 over after 5 holes🤦‍♂️. Putting was horrendous allowing for too much break and my speed control was very poor.

Kid beat me by 1 (with a total miff he did not count and a gimme he took after I said it was no gimme!!!!:laughing:). 23 over 95.

3 birdies after that horrendous start and my bunker play was very good (both fairways and greenside bunkers) was my highlights. Fun day...hard but very good track.
Dunes wasn't it?

Did well to recover for the rest of the round

Shot 90 today (back at a par 72, not the 70 from last week). Had a great front with a 42 even with a triple on 2. Some mini struggles on the back. Had 3 consecutive doubles the last 2 with 2 chips (in both cases they were bad lies with the pin close to the edge of the green, so not a lot of landing room and came up short). Then on 16-18 I lipped out for birdie from about 15 feet and then missed pars from 2-3 feet on the last two. Overall a good round though and the handicap is tumbling.

Anyone have any idea why stableford is so big in Aus/NZ (and I think the UK, but I'm not really sure), but basically non existent in North America?

Anyone have any idea why stableford is so big in Aus/NZ (and I think the UK, but I'm not really sure), but basically non existent in North America?

I think its not as popular in the US because they can submit any social round to their official handicap - which is a joke and makes a mockery of the credibility of the handicap system I think. Fat chance these rounds are played exactly to the rules of golf. Most people would prefer to play stroke or match play than stableford.

In Australia it’s pretty much comps only that go towards official handicap and stableford is probably the best format for comps. It’s the quickest (pick up your ball after net double or higher), and more friendly for high handicappers in terms of giving opportunities to win if you have a good round.

Last edited:
I think its not as popular in the US because they can submit any social round to their official handicap - which is a joke and makes a mockery of the credibility of the handicap system I think. Fat chance these rounds are played exactly to the rules of golf. Most people would prefer to play stroke or match play than stableford.

In Australia it’s pretty much comps only that go towards official handicap and stableford is probably the best format for comps. It’s the quickest (pick up your ball after net double or higher), and more friendly for high handicappers in terms of giving opportunities to win if you have a good round.
The one thing I’m not keen on is the 9 hole comp we have every Thursday at City Golf Club. Let me rephrase that. I don’t believe that two rounds of 9 holes should be handicapped as an 18 hole comp on your handicap. Everyone knows that those last four or five holes in an 18 hole comp can make a difference.

I ventured to Western Brisbane on Saturday and played at Oxley Golf Club in their Monthly single stroke event off the black tees. I shot 91/74 (Par 70). Drove like a demon but had trouble on and around fast foreign greens.
You have to love playing on couch grass. Extra run and so much easier to hit off. My home course is Kikuyu.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably worthy of a separate thread but from what I've seen as I've played in both the UK and the US neither country has the same degree of handicap/comp focused events that we do.

The UK private clubs I've played at typically play a lot of match play/foursomes. At US clubs I've always been part of privately organised games.

Neither country seems to have any parallels to our pro shop run comps as far as I've ever been able to tell.

The one thing I’m not keen on is the 9 hole comp we have every Thursday at City Golf Club. Let me rephrase that. I don’t believe that two rounds of 9 holes should be handicapped as an 18 hole comp on your handicap. Everyone knows that those last four or five holes in an 18 hole comp can make a difference.

Yep I agree. 9 holes and 18 holes are two different formats. Like one day cricket and test cricket. It’s a true challenge to concentrate for 5 hours and put up a score playing exactly by the rules, compared to 9 holes. Personally, my scoring average per 9 holes is lower playing 9 compared to 18. Probably because I’m more used to playing 9 .

38 putts and you still broke 30 points - impressive bandit play there 🥷🏻

12 greens in regulation. Should’ve been closer to a 74/75 score. Putting absolutely ruined me today.

Edit: Out of those 12, 5 of them resulted in three putts.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back