80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
How is government tyranny good stuff? We’ve all been brainwashed. No one shut down the world for H1N1.

Perhaps not. Sure the world continued when WWII was on too.

Are the decisions of the government tyranical or draconian?

You seem intent on playing throughout this saga. That's fine. If the course is open, its fair play.

On social media there is a lot of anger directed at golf australia for their recommendation that clubs close. If it means that much for a round of golf, then stroll on to a public course, or somehow gain access to a private one. If you wanna do it go right ahead. If you're caught I'm not sure what the punishment is (is there one?)

City Golf Club closed all club and golf facilities on Monday last week. I’m thinking about sneaking on at around 5:30am and quickly playing holes 3 to 8 and then hole 2 and then out the side fence and home. The other option is to play holes 5 to 8 and then 2 to 4 and sneak off through the fence and home. Decisions decisions.

Another option is to drive 30mins to Pittsworth (course is still open) and play golf. It’s a 9 hole golf course with different tees for the front and back 9. It would cost me $22 (they have an honesty box).
I was considering doing a sneak on during this period, but I've had a change of heart.
I want to do what I can, which for me means staying home.
Second, it just didn't sit right with me at the moment to sneak on for a 9 round freebie. No judgement to anyone else, but it just didn't feel right with businesses struggling for cash, slipping some cash under the door would make me feel a lot better if I went out.

The course I'm a member at is basically a public park anyway, people walk their dogs etc around the course every day. I'll probably go down there at some stage and hit golf balls by myself.

I was considering doing a sneak on during this period, but I've had a change of heart.
I want to do what I can, which for me means staying home.
Second, it just didn't sit right with me at the moment to sneak on for a 9 round freebie. No judgement to anyone else, but it just didn't feel right with businesses struggling for cash, slipping some cash under the door would make me feel a lot better if I went out.
I’m a member there so I don’t feel any guilt whatsoever.

good stuff.

I spoke with a number of members at my club recently. Asked if anyone would sneak on for a little hit hit. One of them actually lives on the course! He said he could walk on, but will not. That's discipline!
We've been told that course maintenance will be only that. Greens won't be mown regularly etc. For me personally, don't want to be seen as one of 'those people'.
Wish I had a putting green at home though.

Apparently golf clubs can open if they choose to do so in NSW.

Groups of two only.
The only course open within 40mins of my place is a short, tight 9 hole goat track. I played there Saturday and they gave my cousin and I a loyalty card. We were laughing about it thinking that we wouldn’t be back. Low and behold some courses reopened Saturday and then closed again on Monday. We found ourselves back at this course again this afternoon.

Gerard Whateley SEN interview with Golf Vic dude Gavin.
- supporting golf australia to send advice to the industry and pros to make the right decision
- do we want to flatten that curve? Yes, so do everything they can to help
- golfers who exercise and practice social distancing selfish? Everyone has diff opinions, some pros say yes do it and exercise. Other pros dont want to go into environment that may put them at harm
- golf industry is complex with so many organisations (you dont say!)
- state golf follow directives from state orgs.
- adopt federal governments directive
- #stopthespread #flattenthecurve

Hans Van Pelt from Goonawarra
- we want to open courses which are effectively parks
- can we give members some relief?
- commonsense. If members practice it ok.

To clarify it was Gavin Kirkman who is head of the PGA of Australia. He heads up the body that oversees all PGA Professionals Australia wide (club pros, teaching pros, touring pros, trainee pros etc).

They really should have been talking to a Golf Australia spokesperson (however they are busy with important tasks like shutting down HandyCap). I'm not sure Whateley really understood who he was actually talking to.

Did I hear correctly that GK mentioned in passing that "6 states are operating"? Despite the Golf Australia's formal recommendation last week that "all courses close"?

On the Golf Australia website today the following is stated: "Golf Australia acknowledges that some state/territory governments have since taken alternative positions. As promised, we will keep you up to date as and when additional state/territory announcements are made so you are clear on the legalities of golf courses and their operations moving forward."

What an absolute cluster**ck this has been.

To clarify it was Gavin Kirkman who is head of the PGA of Australia. He heads up the body that oversees all PGA Professionals Australia wide (club pros, teaching pros, touring pros, trainee pros etc).

They really should have been talking to a Golf Australia spokesperson (however they are busy with important tasks like shutting down HandyCap). I'm not sure Whateley really understood who he was actually talking to.

Did I hear correctly that GK mentioned in passing that "6 states are operating"? Despite the Golf Australia's formal recommendation last week that "all courses close"?

On the Golf Australia website today the following is stated: "Golf Australia acknowledges that some state/territory governments have since taken alternative positions. As promised, we will keep you up to date as and when additional state/territory announcements are made so you are clear on the legalities of golf courses and their operations moving forward."

GA should have just stayed out if it. There's higher authorities than them involved in the situation. Tassie premier said Monday morning that golf in pairs was fine, hours later members get an email saying GA has recommended clubs shut, so no more golf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gavin seems like a nice guy.

Agree they shouldve been talking to GA, but as you said their resources are concentrated on closing handycap. what arseholes.

This is the problem with our country. Too many authorities/bodies/voices. Federal, state, COUNCILS!!!!11!!! so many voices, contradictions etc. Who governs what? Where? Political parties aplenty. See that's where China is ok, one party, one decision. Dont like it? Tough. We wanna build a super highway through your estate, here's cash and new relocated house. Yay. Here? we wanna build east-west link. Yay! NOOOO!! debate, wait, more debate. pay. deal called off despite paying. BOOOOOOOO

all this serves to do is drive a wedge (see what i did there) between golfers. Some are really upset at not being able to play, some are quiet content with courses closing for a period of time. Conflict and war is innate in humans. Whereas what we need is a unified direction. OK, wind coming from this way, hit a club off the tee, next up, layup, clever approach, one putt. Par. Easy.

GA should have just stayed out if it. There's higher authorities than them involved in the situation. Tassie premier said Monday morning that golf in pairs was fine, hours later members get an email saying GA has recommended clubs shut, so no more golf.
Agree but the problem is the Federal Government has not specifically listed golf clubs in the list of organisations that should close.

Hence it was then up to individual State Governments if they wanted to introduce additional measures over and above.

To my knowledge the only State Government which has done this is Victoria where its Deputy Chief Health Officer on 25 March invoked a Non-Essential Activity Directions which specifically stated that "a facility used predominantly for outdoor physical recreation" could not continue to operate between 25 March 2020 and 13 April 2020. Advice was received by at least one prominent Melbourne club that golf courses fell inside that definition. As a result it shut and most if not all others followed suit.

Personally I think GA should just pay for the legal advice and thereafter highlight the legal issues to the clubs within each state that falls under its jurisdiction (ie all states other than NSW and WA). From there it will be up to clubs whether they choose to comply.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are some public courses in Victoria still open. I'm struggling because I want to play safely, but also want to do what's best for the community. We've been asked to stay home, and I've spread that message to people too that we are all in it together to flatten the curve. I feel like it would be hypocritical of me to go out and play a round and then expect others to stay home from their activities.

Not to say I won't crack and get out and play, but it just doesn't feel right.

I'm sure there are some public courses in Victoria still open. I'm struggling because I want to play safely, but also want to do what's best for the community. We've been asked to stay home, and I've spread that message to people too that we are all in it together to flatten the curve. I feel like it would be hypocritical of me to go out and play a round and then expect others to stay home from their activities.

Not to say I won't crack and get out and play, but it just doesn't feel right.

I think you've said it in one there

Golf is a sport of humility, self discipline and honesty. People look up to us golfers for this reason
A section of my backyard looks like a divot factory.
I back onto a reserve and over this week must've hit 400 balls into it. Ranging up to a 6iron
Probably only recovered about 250 of them 🤣

A section of my backyard looks like a divot factory.
I back onto a reserve and over this week must've hit 400 balls into it. Ranging up to a 6iron
Probably only recovered about 250 of them 🤣
I saw some cricket nets, public, unused. wonder if i could be so accurate to hit balls into it and ensure they dont go through the netting

Essentially yes. I want to, but I'm not.
At the moment it's just coming back to the "do my bit" part, I can't ask others to do their bit if I don't do my own.

Again, like in golf....you could drop a ball down in a general area where your ball is lost and say "here it is i found it!". But you don't. But hey if others want to then its on them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back