80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
I can’t really talk, I’ve done that heaps of times! If it’s a social round, then go for it, it’s what makes golf fun. I probably wouldn’t in a comp though.
Yeah that was my point. It is easy to say to play smart and safe but you get on the course and you think you can make a shot and it gets you into trouble

I honestly cannot remember the last time I have played a full shot in the trees...with a club that I would use normally from that distance off the fairway. Not sure if that makes sense.....I always go the low route....with a longer club. Happy to put it in the bunker, or happier on the green and 100% back my short game to get me out of trouble. If I think about it I don't hit the ball very high e.g if I have to come back from the other fairway I reckon I will pretty much clip the trees every time.....so maybe that's why I do what I do now.

Yeah that was my point. It is easy to say to play smart and safe but you get on the course and you think you can make a shot and it gets you into trouble
I get the mindset

But dropping the "hero" shot is the best thing for your golf game.

Been a while.
Played a few games over the Holidays and into the New Year, then had about 2 months of no golf from Feb until this Friday gone.

Was happy with an 80 off the stick for my first game in months.
Previously over the last 5 months also had my first game at Yarra Bend, was pretty decent hit 85 off the stick.
Greens were really slow, I never quite got used to them.
Played one game at Keilor, still not in good condition. Managed an eagle on the first that day and should've gone home after that. Played poorly.
All other games played at Goonawara, in pretty good condition for a public course.

Going up to Merimbula for a weekend in mid May for golf with friends, fingers crossed no lock downs before then.

Courses I play have a lot of sandy rough amongst long hanging branches. Whats everyones go to club and shot if hitting out of this stuff?

Courses I play have a lot of sandy rough amongst long hanging branches. Whats everyones go to club and shot if hitting out of this stuff?
Way too many variables to accurately gauge bud

But out of the rough as such I'll normally take either a 4iron and draw, slice it out to find a number to the green, or an 8iron if some type of opening and extra hazard to get over before the fairway.

Only thought is - can I find fairway - can i get to a number to get comfortable to knock it on

Singles match play this morning against a bloke off 5. I was off 19.

I won 3 up with 2 to play.

The key for me was the 4 holes where he didn’t give me a shot I made pars each time and halved the hole.

Was really happy with that win as despite giving me 14 shots he was quality and I had to play well which I did.

Scored 42 today. A whole stack of pars with my worst two holes being 7s on par 4s

Last week I was dropping bombs with my driver and couldn't miss the fairway. Today I think I hit four, but my misses didn't really cost me much because it is a fairly forgiving course (woodford)

Way too many variables to accurately gauge bud

But out of the rough as such I'll normally take either a 4iron and draw, slice it out to find a number to the green, or an 8iron if some type of opening and extra hazard to get over before the fairway.

Only thought is - can I find fairway - can i get to a number to get comfortable to knock it on
Lowest iron you have, I have a 2. Most likely 3 or 4. Put the ball in the middle of your stance. Push your hands so they’re forwards of the ball, not exaggerated. So the shaft is at 7 o’clock. Re-grip slightly. Don’t have a normal grip and push your hands forward, set your grip in this new position. As ScrappyCoCo said, hit the ball first so when contact is made your hands are in this position (slightly in front of the ball). It’ll come out low, maybe a draw. It takes a pro to hit a fade/slice with this shot. You’ll likely hit it straight/draw which is fine because you’re getting out of trouble. Work on ball position/shaft angle to find what works. As with fairway bunkers, maybe just try to use your arms? If the stance is in SOFT sand, a full swing may move your feet, resulting in a miss hit.
Enough to work with here though. 😜
This’ll work hitting into the wind too.
Good luck.

Played a much tougher course today. Longer, uphill/downhill lies, more heavily bunkered, slopey quick greens as well. Pretty much played bogie golf...some doubles but a few pars as well to even it out.....and lots of bogies. Drove really well but iron play was poor. Putting was not great but would improve once I got familiar with the joint. Started pivoting better on the last 2 holes and as a result had birdie putts. Oh well.....live and learn. Nice day, good company.

Played a much tougher course today. Longer, uphill/downhill lies, more heavily bunkered, slopey quick greens as well. Pretty much played bogie golf...some doubles but a few pars as well to even it out.....and lots of bogies. Drove really well but iron play was poor. Putting was not great but would improve once I got familiar with the joint. Started pivoting better on the last 2 holes and as a result had birdie putts. Oh well.....live and learn. Nice day, good company.

Where u play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First round in a few weeks, played Churchill Park for calculated 21 points over 18.
Pretty tough course for me, biggest issue was I did not hit one fairway really with the driver. Was basically adding +1 or more to every hole with a driver because I'd need to chip out again just to find a clear shot. Rest of the game was okay, not great but not terrible. Find some fairways with that driver and I could have easily taken 10 strokes off the scorecard from that alone, let alone the shots that would have come off based on being in a better position for approach shots. Enjoyed the round though, sometimes when I don't play too well I get really down on myself but this time I held it together a bit more and just appreciated the challenge and things to work on.

4 wipes at Peninsula Kingswood. Started with 2 swipes. great time. Putted atrociously today, felt out of sync. Probably as it was a friendly matchplay event slash stableford. Going for things. Enjoyable day with great company and perfect weather. score in teh low 30s which seems about right.

Heading to Punta Cana this weekend for 2 weeks. Got a place on the 6th hole of golf course.

Will try to post a few photos of my well placed....errr well hit balls in the fairways

;)

Have you had a chance to practice the low shot?

Yep, I had an on course lesson with a pro a few days ago. Got a heap of handy tips. With playing out the rough he suggested widening my stance more (I was playing them with my feet close together). Im now able to get much more purchase on the shots. And they are moving right to left more as opposed to left to right.

Another huge thing he picked up was my alignment. Subconsciously I have been massively aligning to the right which has contributed to hooking and pushing my longer clubs.

Also, he taught me a really handy shot out of sandy lies around the green - using a hybrid and a putting type motion to bump it onto the green. Played the back 9 last night at Hartfield and made 43 - my second best score on that 9. Hit mostly 5 wood off the tee worked on my alignment, hit some nice approach shots. The bump and run with the hybrid also came in handy on the 18th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back