YVMDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Going back over the season: in the early part it was Upwey, Monbulk, Warby fighting to avoid relegation while Olinda, Emerald and Healesville were fighting over spaces in the top five.
Then situations completely reversed in the last part of the season.
That actually shows just how even this year's competition has been.

Murphy and Tes have already been ruled out for MtEv this week. Moneys on option one which will be a good result for all.
Bwahhahaha. Didn't need em. Dalts, cowie and cupie carved em up.
Still watching the replays
Put ya money up then.
Going back over the season: in the early part it was Upwey, Monbulk, Warby fighting to avoid relegation while Olinda, Emerald and Healesville were fighting over spaces in the top five.
the Barclays ran over the comitee and chucked out the coach put the son in charge won a couple early and pumped them selves up on the web club page. the web site went quite after r7 when it all started to go bad.
they;ll have the best looking static site in divvy 2. thanx to the barclays

and here comes upweeeeey.

Yes, I think that you are right. Healesville’s 22 premiership points is easily the highest for a side finishing last. The previous highest was 16 points for the 4 wins by Gembrook in 1994, Warburton in 2005 and Yarra Glen last year.

Wandin finished third with a 9-9 record and a percentage of 91%. Last year they ran seventh with 8-9-1 and 91%.

i said two or three weeks ago about the state of Yarra Valley Grounds and well i was at Gembrook today and not only was it blowing a gale but the ground wasnt up to finals footy with little holes everywhere almost rolled my ankles walking on it. i dont see what is wrong with playing a final at Yea,Alex,Healesville,Thornton or even Marysville and if they league is worried the clubs wont get helpers with so many finals at one ground a thing the Goulburn valley employs is to for Clubs with ground not up to finals they get them to host one at the premier grounds They GV play there finals on the best 5 grounds in the league with the best 3 each week this should be looked at by the yarra valley to make sure they get the best atmosphere and give the players,umpires to play and witness a game on the best grounds. im not having a go at the league but they should be playing finals at Woori,Alex,Yea,Healesville,Yarra Junction

i said two or three weeks ago about the state of Yarra Valley Grounds and well i was at Gembrook today and not only was it blowing a gale but the ground wasnt up to finals footy with little holes everywhere almost rolled my ankles walking on it. i dont see what is wrong with playing a final at Yea,Alex,Healesville,Thornton or even Marysville and if they league is worried the clubs wont get helpers with so many finals at one ground a thing the Goulburn valley employs is to for Clubs with ground not up to finals they get them to host one at the premier grounds They GV play there finals on the best 5 grounds in the league with the best 3 each week this should be looked at by the yarra valley to make sure they get the best atmosphere and give the players,umpires to play and witness a game on the best grounds. im not having a go at the league but they should be playing finals at Woori,Alex,Yea,Healesville,Yarra Junction
Geelong and District share their finals in a similar manner.
It has been proposed that a similar system be considered in the Valley. We have a lot of vested interests that fight hard against it. Dog in the manger stuff. It will be hard to get Healesville, Woori, Gembrook etc, to share the running of the finals, because they are trying to get every dollar they can out of it. That may be understandable, but it does exclude the bulk of the league from sharing the spoils, workload and rewards from the finals. It also limits the scope of the services they can provide to ensure that our finals can develop into the premier event they should be.
My long-held belief is that the finals belong to the whole league (i.e. ALL the clubs as well as the Board) and that ALL clubs are entitled/expected to contribute to the success of the finals series.
Host clubs should be selected because they have the best available venues - for players, corporate hosting, parking and spectator facilities.
They should be paid for the use and preparation of the ground, internal catering of any functions and be allowed to sell poured drinks from within their licensed premises.
But the other clubs (e.g. on a yearly rotational basis) could also be contracted to provide outside/ground services such as packaged drinks (via a liquor 'booth license'), food stalls or other services such as parking attendants and cleaning. This spreads the responsibility and involvement to all. The Board would select the best available venues and a selection of clubs would then provide the needed additional services and manpower. Everyone gets rewarded and takes ownership of the finals events. That reduces the drain on the one host club. It spreads the load, the rewards - and importantly - the involvement.
If clubs don't wish to be involved, they should not expect any dividends from the finals.
The models - as you point out - exist in other leagues. They do work and events are managed well. If not, they would have abandoned the systems long ago, I guess.
What is missing is the will and balls to challenge the current status quo and then implement a more inclusive system.
Meanwhile, we have games on grounds that are sometimes not quite up to it, run by clubs that are sometimes not quite up to it, and the exclusion of other clubs (that often draw the crowds to the finals) because they have grounds unsuitable to host.
The venue is only one part of the finals chemistry. Organisation, planning (event management), manpower and resources also make for a successful finals series.

There should not be finals at Gembrook. How many years do we have to put up with these wind ruined finals. The netballers cop it worse down there wind the conditions a joke.

Was at junction on Saturday and could not have been more impressed. Parking wasn't a problem, surface looked great, was a great crowd, 3 good games of footy and prob the best burger I have had anywhere all year.

Was at junction on Saturday and could not have been more impressed. Parking wasn't a problem, surface looked great, was a great crowd, 3 good games of footy and prob the best burger I have had anywhere all year.

Good to see they got another day of finals this week. The ground allocations for this week look spot on.

Thats not quite right. Elimination and qualifying finals are rotated through the league to a club and when its your turn you take it. Prelim and Granny always played at DEakin Res no matter who is playing. If UNited or Shepp make the Granny they play a home grand final.if they dont probably still the best viewing ground in the GV so no one really cares.

Yes no doubt Ralphy the burger was spot on is a fantastic surface and viewing ground! What I didn't like was the fact they jacked up there drink prices... 4$ for a light 4.50$ for a heavy and 7$ for a mixed drink! Piss poor as far as I am concerned I know they have there arse hanging out of there tracky daks up there but to try and cash in is not really within the spirit of the valley! Thumbs down junk town.....

Yes no doubt Ralphy the burger was spot on is a fantastic surface and viewing ground! What I didn't like was the fact they jacked up there drink prices... 4$ for a light 4.50$ for a heavy and 7$ for a mixed drink! Piss poor as far as I am concerned I know they have there arse hanging out of there tracky daks up there but to try and cash in is not really within the spirit of the valley! Thumbs down junk town.....
Did you hear the rampant rumours regarding the junction coaching job Beau? If so any truth to them? Your usually in the know on these matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If so, I think many would agree with you.
Footy fans should be encouraged to support the local clubs, but I thought the YVMDFL had the prices controlled for hosting finals; linked to what was standard around the league. We had the problem of profiteering a few years ago and the league had to step in because of the uproar. It can get to the stage of just showing contempt for visiting spectators if pricing is over done.
Or maybe that is the new ceiling price of the League at the moment. If there is a price management policy or not, patrons are entitled to know what they are going to be up for.
Might take a cut lunch next time, though.

If so, I think many would agree with you.
Footy fans should be encouraged to support the local clubs, but I thought the YVMDFL had the prices controlled for hosting finals; linked to what was standard around the league. We had the problem of profiteering a few years ago and the league had to step in because of the uproar. It can get to the stage of just showing contempt for visiting spectators if pricing is over done.
Or maybe that is the new ceiling price of the League at the moment. If there is a price management policy or not, patrons are entitled to know what they are going to be up for.
Might take a cut lunch next time, though.

Did you end up finding the team you went to watch Saturday Monnie?

Finger - Tom Hedge runner up Best and Fairest - not bad for a bloke who was posted by your learned self as a certainty to miss the season.

Well done to Ricky Clark, well deserved, not sure how he missed by so much over the last couple of years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back