Teams New Orleans Saints - The Who Dats

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Reggie Bush

Does he line-up in the slot very often or is he purely out of the backfield?

He is more and more.

We even line hime out out wide. Last week his biggest gain (IIRC) was when he lined up wide and got one out with a LB. Payton uses him a lot to shift the D.

A few comments:

-People are using a little bit of revisionist history here. Reggie Bush was considered by many to be one of the greatest college players ever. He was that dominant. Noone expected him to be a prototype between the tackles RB. Far from it, he was guy that could be used in various roles on offense and be an impact player on special teams perhaps also. He wasn't going to be a player judged on rushing yards but from total yards in the game, ie, rushing yards + receiving yards + return yards. He was predicted to be special.

-To the guy that said you EXPECT an Adrian Peterson type RB when you draft a RB 2nd overall. That isn't true at all. I don't think people realise how truly, historically great ADP will be. Enjoy watching him folks, we could be watching THE greatest RB of them all right now. Barring major injury issues, he's a lock for the Hall of Fame and is a chance at some serious running back records. The season rushing yards record could be re-written as early as by the end of this season. My point is, you don't EXPECT a transcendent player when you pick that high, you expect an impact player. Someone that can make a good difference on the team. Bush has that impact when he plays.

-JD, just because you guys had Deuce doesn't mean that you drafted Bush partly for his off field stuff. Far from it. As you said, Bush was never going to replace Deuce in the running game, he was drafted to be another cog in the offense. He had the potential to make that big an impact that it didn't matter that you had Deuce, you simply couldn't pass up that sort of upside in a player. It's similar to the Vikings drafting ADP even though they had only just signed Chester Taylor who had put up a very good season just prior. Good teams don't pass up that sort of potential regardless of the talent they already have. NO could've easily traded down once Bush fell to them, teams would've fallen over themselves to take Bush. Trading down is notoriously difficult, but in that case they could've done it easily. Most analysts had the Saints in a bit of a bind because they didn't need Mario Williams or Vince Young, Bush falling to them was probably very unexpected (prior to Houston signing Mario prior to the draft) and they probably fell over themselves trying to get their draft card to the commish to announce they were taking Bush.

In summary, Bush isn't a bust but he hasn't lived up to the enormous expectations that people had on him.

I don't think anyone expected Bush to be a feature back when he was drafted - not least of all Sean Payton or the Saints.

Check out Payton's comments of the time and it was all about using his versatility in the passing game. I mean it is Sean Payton we are talking about, unless you can catch he'll pick a RB off the street.

Bush gets most of his catches at or behind the LOS. Someone mentioned earlier we should use him like Welker - we already do to an extent except he usually lines up in the backfield. I mean Bush did set receiving records.

I think people need to watch the Saints more and that includes plenty of Saints fans.

Bush's problem in the running game is he gets to the line too quickly. His best runs always come on the delay. He also is a pretty good blocker.

Bush has been successful, hasnt reached the heights expected of him but that is jsut it, expectations are higher than they should be. This is the NFL, a professional environment where u have the best defensive players going. U cant compare it to college.

Another problem is that the Saints dont use him the right way all the time,sometimes with him particularly in 2007 they were very predictable and defenses swarmed all over him. They didnt call the right plays and he was monstered. They needed some variety. In this respect they missed Deuce McCallister a lot that year, in 06 they had both of them to add variuety.

He has learnt a bit in 3 years and im sure this year we will see a much more productive season

-People are using a little bit of revisionist history here. Reggie Bush was considered by many to be one of the greatest college players ever. He was that dominant. Noone expected him to be a prototype between the tackles RB. Far from it, he was guy that could be used in various roles on offense and be an impact player on special teams perhaps also. He wasn't going to be a player judged on rushing yards but from total yards in the game, ie, rushing yards + receiving yards + return yards. He was predicted to be special.

Come on , everyone was expecting 1500-2000 yds from LOS. The hype was huge even from the Saints.

As for Special Teams, if he did live up to expectations then he would not have been returning punts for much longer.

-To the guy that said you EXPECT an Adrian Peterson type RB when you draft a RB 2nd overall. That isn't true at all. I don't think people realise how truly, historically great ADP will be. Enjoy watching him folks, we could be watching THE greatest RB of them all right now. Barring major injury issues, he's a lock for the Hall of Fame and is a chance at some serious running back records. The season rushing yards record could be re-written as early as by the end of this season. My point is, you don't EXPECT a transcendent player when you pick that high, you expect an impact player. Someone that can make a good difference on the team. Bush has that impact when he plays.

Well to use STO's example , let's use Westbrook. you would expect a Westbrook-like performance.

Yet Reggie rushing career average is 3.7yds and receiving 7.6 yds. Westbrook after 3 seasons had 4.6 yd rush & >9yds rec.
Besides what some on here think. stats sometimes do tell you something.

Reggie has fumbled more in 3 seasons than Westbrook has his whole career.

(By JD) Bush's problem in the running game is he gets to the line too quickly.

This was his problem in his first year. Surely should have been rectified by now. Either he'll never learn or Payton isn't doing his job.

Make no mistake, the Saints expected a Westbrook/Peterson type back and haven't got it yet. They've lowered their expectations and hence believe Reggie is playing his role. He is definitely playing a role and he's important to the Saints, just not as important as they would have hoped.

I feel many folk will agree wholeheartedly with you Nappies but you know, that's what's totally intriguing about the NFL.. to the untrained eye who doesn't watch NFL as religously as the next guy can't see what seperates teams structures and RB's roles for each team.

Woodson - I understand this, but I'm still of the opinion that he is a disappointment so far. This was a guy that was going to give you 80 yards rushing + 50 catching and another 50 on ST. I understand how the Saints use him and how he's not a purely a feature back. I even offered up the question - is he the FIRST in a new line of receiving backs like Percy Harvin.

To the guy that said you EXPECT an Adrian Peterson type RB when you draft a RB 2nd overall. That isn't true at all. I don't think people realise how truly, historically great ADP will be.

Footy Lover - Peterson-esque impact is different to playing like Peterson. People on this board know they're completely different, however I initially said I expected Bush to have an impact on the league like ADP has. He has simply taken the league by storm, is feared by defenses and in a couple of years has become just about the best back in the country. I expected that sort of impact from Bush, if not the best back, then atleast the best at something.

Make no mistake, the Saints expected a Westbrook/Peterson type back and haven't got it yet. They've lowered their expectations and hence believe Reggie is playing his role. He is definitely playing a role and he's important to the Saints, just not as important as they would have hoped.

TGBB - I agree with this.

Saints the soul of America's city

One of the aspects of following the NFL I find most appealing is the unique stories, character and personalities of all 32 teams. Some of the differences may seem trivial on the surface, however when you look a little deeper you not only get to understand the uniqueness of the team but also the uniqueness of the city they represent.

The Saints in particular have had an interesting relationship with the city they represent. Often they were to seen to embody all that was wrong in New Orleans. Often they were seen as an embarrassment and unrepresentational.

In recent years I've often made comment on why this team and time in New Orleans is different. We all know the Katrina story but I post this article simply because it is one of the most expansive & best I've read on what,why and how the Saints relationship has changed since then. The title doesn't do the article justice and I won't bother with a quote, but if you're interested in the wider cultural aspects of the NFL then it's truly worth the read. I wish more articles about teams and their cities were written in such fashion (if you know of any please post them, I love reading them).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?page=hotread14/Saints

Re: Saints the soul of America's city

Cowboys game hottest Saints ticket ever

Tickets for Saturday night's game against the Dallas Cowboys in the Superdome are in higher demand than any Saints game in history, according to several estimates.

Officials from StubHub and TicketCity both said tickets have sold for higher prices than any other Saints game in their companies' history -- including both of the Saints' home playoff games this decade -- with average ticket prices of more than $300.

The Saints' vice president of ticket and suite sales, Mike Stanfield, said the prices are also higher than he's ever seen on the team's ticket exchange program, which is run through the NFL and Ticketmaster.

In fact, it's the highest-rated NFL game ever recorded on the NFL Ticket Exchange's "Buzz Index," which measures traffic, demand, sales and value. It's not clear when the "Buzz Index" began tracking ticket demand, but the league's ticket-exchange program started four years ago.

The Saints can expect to break their record next month, however, when they host one or two playoff games in the Superdome. Both Joellen Ferrer, the corporate communications manager for StubHub, and Randy Cohen, the CEO of TicketCity, said early orders for Saints playoff tickets are already higher than for Saturday's game.

It is hard to believe the transformation from a few short years ago where the Saints were seen as the team most likely to relocate.

Cowboys game hottest Saints ticket ever

It is hard to believe the transformation from a few short years ago where the Saints were seen as the team most likely to relocate.

Hurricane Katrina was a blessing.. (in some ways)... the spirit to pull thru instead of abandoning the love of bringing the Saints closer together as a team & community.

also WADW, did you know NY is pitching the NFL to have the new stadium (outdoors that fits 84k ) to be a Supabah venue in few years time.

Hurricane Katrina was a blessing.. (in some ways)... the spirit to pull thru instead of abandoning the love of bringing the Saints closer together as a team & community.

also WADW, did you know NY is pitching the NFL to have the new stadium (outdoors that fits 84k ) to be a Supabah venue in few years time.

Yeah I saw that. They've approved the bid but whether it wins or not I don't know. They wouldn't want to risk having a snowy Superbowl even though I think it would be fantastic.

It's a shame the West Side Stadium didn't go through, the Jets only Manhattan stadium. It had plans for a roof and would have been a perfect Superbowl venue.

Awesome article JD

When i was there 2 years ago it was a whacky place :) totally loved it. The locals were soooo friendly haha i bought some stuff from the Saints shop and i was walking around carrying it and the people were so nice they are like "oh wow" and asked me if i could show them what i bought and stuff hahaa and they lvoed the fact that the Saints had a fan all the way in Australia haha i mentioned there were a few haha and they were thrilled haha and i rememebr going for a haircut and talking to the barber about the Saints and he was so impressed that i loved the saints that he gave me the hair cut for free lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I saw that. They've approved the bid but whether it wins or not I don't know. They wouldn't want to risk having a snowy Superbowl even though I think it would be fantastic.

It's a shame the West Side Stadium didn't go through, the Jets only Manhattan stadium. It had plans for a roof and would have been a perfect Superbowl venue.

I think the location and the shared-stadium deal makes sense. But yeah, why not put a roof on it? In a place with winters like New York, fully enclosed makes the most sense.

Perhaps they were worried atmosphere would suffer? Oh wait, here is the answer: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2391829.

Sorry to start discussing New York sports in a Saints thread. Let's go back to the regular programming.

911 calls down to almost none during Saints games..lol

"Man we need some cash. Let's go and rob that 711 store again....straight after the game."

Soul destroyers.

438px_Dallas_Cowboys_svg111107072248.gif

JD didn't handle the loss to well - poor bloke has been red carded I see.
Nah, thats just from sinking the boots into the Carlton Crew.

Good luck winning 3 in a row,be the first time in December since 93 :p Boys fans conveniently forget losing back to back games just a few weeks ago, and only managing to get single TDs vs the Skins and Packers.

I think it was for 'trolling' the Brisbane board, though I read his posts and I didn't see anything bad about it.

B2B Division titles for the first time since the mid 70s. Great. Now for a first round loss to the Pack!

The Brisbane board is full of morons and the mods there are idiots so wouldn't surprise me MarcusP2.

Also a first round loss, don't be silly boy. We're a better team then them and we should be them in back to back weeks.

Who dat at the top of the NFL merchandise sales list? It’s the New Orleans Saints. Dat’s who.

The Super Bowl champions sold the most licensed product in the league on NFLShop.com this fiscal year, which runs from April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010. What’s amazing about this is the fact that the team has never even ranked in the Top 10 in sales in its entire history.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30111451

1. New Orleans Saints
2. Pittsburgh Steelers
3. Dallas Cowboys
4. Minnesota Vikings
5. Indianapolis Colts
6. New York Giants
7. New England Patriots
8. Chicago Bears
9. Philadelphia Eagles
10. Denver Broncos

Here are the top 15 NFL players jerseys, according to NFLShop.com this year: