Teams New Orleans Saints - The Who Dats

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Are the Saints staying in New Orleans

I dont mean most supported around the nation. I mean most entrenched supporter base in the NFL. Green Bay and Chiefs are easily the top 2 teams in this sense. Their crowds are maxed out, season tickets are at a premium, hard to come by, and both their regions heavily support them. Other regions you talk about also have more sporting teams that they follow religiously...baseball, basketball, hockey.....that dissipates the regional fanbase to other sports.
Kansas has a few sports too, baseball, college, etc.

Still, I would bank on the Steelers being the most supportered in their area. The greater Pittsburgh area is Steelers mad and the team has the highest amount of women supporters of any team (beating most others by twice or more and is around three times the national average). In fact, I remember a survery from a year or two ago which found the Steelers to be the most supported local team of any sport in the US.

Some facts about Arrowhead Stadium and Chiefs fans...

Arrowhead Stadium is one of the loudest outdoor stadiums. Fan noise was measured at 116 decibels by the acoustical group. Sports Illustrated gave Arrowhead Stadium the title of "Toughest Place to Play" for opposing teams. "Kansas City is the best football atmosphere in the country," said SI.

By the end of the 2008 season, Arrowhead Stadium has a consecutive sell-out record of 149 games dating back to the home opener in 1990. The Chiefs have a 104–40 home record at Arrowhead stadium since 1990, the best in the NFL. It is the third largest NFL Stadium in seating capacity (79,451).

Kansas City is the sixth-smallest media market with an NFL team, but have had the second-highest attendance average over the last decade. Link

In 2006, Bizjournals gave the Chiefs high marks for consistently drawing capacity crowds in both good seasons and bad. The Chiefs have averaged 77,300 fans per game since 1996.

Imo, Kansas City Chiefs fans would have to be #1 in front of Green Bay and Pittsburgh, especially because the Chiefs have not won a superbowl since the late 1960's, and have not been a regular playoff or division winner over their history, follow them in good or bad rabidly. While Pittsburgh has sustained success and going back to their pre-70's dynasty breakthru, they were a terrible team for many decades and their crowds/support reflected that. It would be interesting to see their fanbase and crowd figures should they go thru 30 years of mediocrity in these modern times. Also, Green Bay would be second imo because they've had success and playoff continuity, but nowhere near as much as Pittsburgh has, yet their crowds and support never wavers....also, because the franchise is owned by the public then this gives them added passion.

Oakland fans would have to be up there in the top 5, but they're not always supported well. They've had many seasons where a lot of their home games are blacked out on TV due to not selling out.

Gosford is on the Central Coast of New South Wales. They're intended to represent that region between Newcastle and Sydney, hence the name.

T'was tongue in cheek. I know where Gosford is. :p

http://blog.nola.com/jeffduncan/2009/05/post_7.html

Terrific news for the Saints...although i dont live in New Orleans, it is an important part iof the team! I would of supported them even though they moved but i am stoked they stayed in New Orleans.

Having been in New Orleans u can easily see hiow much they love the Saints!

Reggie Bush

Entering his fourth year in the NFL (hopefully he gets a full season) what are our thoughts on Reggie Bush?

This guy was the be-all and end-all of football coming out of USC, the biggest no brainer in Draft history who slipped to #2. Heck, he even made an Australian list of the most influential sports people in 2005.

Looking at his stats (granted his injury history) you've got to say he's disappointing. This was supposed to be a guy who was going to run the length of the field as a back, and catch 5 or 6 passes a game for another 100 yards as a receiver. Going into this season, he averages just over 3 yards a carry, is known to not be able to be a #1 back (just over 400 carries in 3 seasons) and hasn't broken 500 yards receiving since 2006. Also, for an all-purpose player, 20 touchdowns in 3 seasons (not including special teams), 8 of those coming in 2006 where he played every game.

So, is he a disappointment or is he the first prototype of the new line of all-purpose players like Percy Harvin, who are going to make an impact on the NFL in coming years?

Re: Reggie Bush

How does this bust continue to set NFL records? The experts, commentators, NFL scouts, and GMs have given their opinions on Reggie Bush and his production in his first two years in the NFL.
The usual label of “bust” has been mentioned time and time again. However, Reggie has quietly produced in areas they have not focused on.
The first is receptions. Reggie, a running back, set and tied NFL records in his last two games. He and the Cardinals’ Boldin, a wide receiver, have more receptions in their first 33 and 34 games of an NFL career at 199 and 200 respectively than anyone ever to start their careers.
Boldin’s record is typical because wide receivers get the ball thrown to them more than other positions in the NFL, but Bush’s record is unique. Reggie and Drew Brees have connected faster than any other QB-RB tandem in NFL history. Just think about this: Bush didn’t play in four games last year, therefore, he would have shattered the record earlier than Boldin.
This number is very impressive. We must credit Payton’s play-calling and Bree’s execution, but most of all, Reggie’s hands. If we equate most of those receptions as handoffs in the West Coast Offense, then Reggie’s run production is definitely better than his handoff run production that has been over-criticized weekly.
If Reggie had a dollar for every ESPN, FOX, CBS, and NBC analyst to say the word "bust" in reference to his running back skills, I bet Reggie wouldn’t need the outside endorsement dollars to be a multi-millionaire.
Mr. Bush is making his mark on the NFL in a unique manner—not to mention that he tied the two punt return for touchdowns mark in the Vikings game.
Will he ever be what they want him to be? No. Will he have the impact they want him to have? No.
We must not forget that Reggie set two records in his first year. First, the most receptions by a rookie running back. Second, the 80-yard touchdown reception in the NFC Championship game.
But I have a sneaking suspicion that by the time his career in the NFL begins to fade into the twilight, Reggie will have had an impact on the game that no one expected. He's a record setter, not a bust! He’s just a man that does it HIS WAY.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/68309-reggie-bush-is-no-bust-he-sets-nfl-records

Totally Agree with all the points mentioned above. :thumbsu:

Crucial to the Saints IMO and a Great Player who is being Harshly Judged.

This was written in late 08 but still very relevant IMO. As Injuries have dealt him a Cruel blow.

For the record, I never said "bust"....I said disappointment going by what he was billed as being.

its simple, Reggie Bush is a playmaker not a pure running back and he never will be

Did he dump Kim Kardashian or was it the other way around?

I need to know people!:p

I thought they just broke up because they couldn't spend enough time together (you know with her work and him working in NO). But that was just from my gf at the time, so what would she know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends what you classify as a bust. Is he worth the money they paid for him? No, he isn't, but virtually every player that is selected that high in the draft is not worth the money they get paid, it's a flaw in the current rookie pay scale setup and something that is almost certainly going to get corrected in the new EBA. In terms of skill and production though, I wouldn't classify him as a bust.

There were 3 guys that everyone were debating about who the Texans should take #1 overall. Reggie Bush (was the landslide favourite), D'Brickahsaw Ferguson and Vince Young. I think it's safe to say that the Texans made the right choice. The choice for the Saints was pretty much a no brainer. Highly versatile, explosive player who could be used in a multitude of ways in their offense. That's what he's been. Bush was outstanding at the start of last year before getting hurt. That's the thing, injuries will limit Bush's games played, and on that account he has the potential to bust. At this stage though, he's no bust.

Bush has been worth it when you consider what he brings as a total package and when he brought it (post Katrina).

I know off-field doesn't count in this sort of discussion but when talking $$$'s, it's a large part of why the Saints drafted him.

I know off-field doesn't count in this sort of discussion but when talking $$$'s, it's a large part of why the Saints drafted him.

No it isn't. He was drafted because he was the best player on the board at the time and according to the vast majority of draft analysts was the best player in the entire draft.

No it isn't. He was drafted because he was the best player on the board at the time and according to the vast majority of draft analysts was the best player in the entire draft.

I think your wrong there mate.
He was always rated as a superior playmaker yes but there were always a lot of question marks over him. Going into the draft i rated LenDale White as a better pure back then Reggie and i feel vindicated on that.
I think Reggie needs to be used in a variety of roles, as someone that hasn't watch NO much over the past 12 months i can't comment much but he needs to be used similar to how NE use Welker.
He should take kick-offs, line up as a split back, line up in the slot and then take the occasional run between the tackles.

No doubt he was highly rated but the Saints had greater needs at the time than RB (especially with Deuce's salary back then) and there were a host of reasons why they might not draft him.

It was also seen as risky as in the Crabtree sort of risky. New Orleans was still a disaster area, there were doubts about the Saints long term viability and the team had just come off a season training in a carpark. It was a long way from Hollwood for a bloke with a national profile. Also we had holes that needed to be filled all over the roster and free agents were asking a premium to play in a city many saw as dead. Common sense said the Saints should trade down and it's not like there weren't plenty wanting a piece of Bush.

Reggie hasn't been a bust on the field but he hasn't performed as many expected. Not his problem I guess if people have over-inflated expectations. The gamble the Saints took on him for a host of reasons have paid off, but I suspect that's been more a result of signing Brees at the same time than it was drafting Reggie.

No doubt he was highly rated but the Saints had greater needs at the time than RB (especially with Deuce's salary back then) and there were a host of reasons why they might not draft him.

I imagine they were cornered a little bit when Houston took Super Mario. They could either trade down, or take Bush. They wouldn't have wanted to be known as the second team who could've had Bush but passed him up.

From what I expected of him, coming out of college, and watching his highlight reels, I am disappointed by his output in the pros. I expected a Adrian Peterson-esque impact from Bush. He's not a bust by any means, and granted the effects he also had on the city & a beacon of hope.

I expected a Adrian Peterson-esque impact from Bush.

And that's the whole crux of the "is he a bust" argument with Bush. If you draft a RB at No 2 overall you expect a Peterson-type feature back not a 3rd down receiving Kevin Faulk-type (but with more speed).

Even the Saints would have expected more. No doubt.

Then again how many other teams would have done the same with pick No 2 ? I reckon quite a few. And could you have imagined the outrage if the Saints traded down!!

Agree with footylover18, there was not much choice other than Bush.

Texans of course look like genius' taking Williams. Copped a bagging at the time and then after their rookie seasons when Williams struggled and Bush and Young had good seasons.

Great draft all up by Texans, 3 Pro Bowlers Williams, Ryans & Daniels and also Winston.

Bush should watch tape of Brian Westbrook over and over and over. I see so many similarities when i watch them play, its just, Bush needs to learn to use his blockers like Westy does. Smaller backs, with speed can still run between the tackles, theyve just got to be smarter in the way they move... with that size, you can actually get right up against your blocker, and almost hide behind them, before making a move out with the pace, into open field. If you look at alot of the longer runs Westy breaks, its the result of him pretty much bouncing off our line, before cutting.

Bush should watch tape of Brian Westbrook over and over and over. I see so many similarities when i watch them play, its just, Bush needs to learn to use his blockers like Westy does. Smaller backs, with speed can still run between the tackles, theyve just got to be smarter in the way they move... with that size, you can actually get right up against your blocker, and almost hide behind them, before making a move out with the pace, into open field. If you look at alot of the longer runs Westy breaks, its the result of him pretty much bouncing off our line, before cutting.

Reggie Bush: 6-0, 203 pounds
Brian Westbrook: 5-10, 203 pounds
Steve Slaton: 5-9, 215 pounds
MJD: 5-7, 208 pounds

There is probably your 3 smallest starting RB's in the NFL and they are all in the top echelon IMO. They all have different style of running. Westy and MJD play in the style you stated above. Slaton is more your style that will just hit the hole and go, he doesn't dance and wait for the blocks to be set up quite like the others.
Although he is a little hevaier and probably a little more powerful.

I don't think anyone expected Bush to be a feature back when he was drafted - not least of all Sean Payton or the Saints.

Check out Payton's comments of the time and it was all about using his versatility in the passing game. I mean it is Sean Payton we are talking about, unless you can catch he'll pick a RB off the street.

Bush gets most of his catches at or behind the LOS. Someone mentioned earlier we should use him like Welker - we already do to an extent except he usually lines up in the backfield. I mean Bush did set receiving records.

I think people need to watch the Saints more and that includes plenty of Saints fans.

Bush's problem in the running game is he gets to the line too quickly. His best runs always come on the delay. He also is a pretty good blocker.

I don't think anyone expected Bush to be a feature back when he was drafted - not least of all Sean Payton or the Saints.

Check out Payton's comments of the time and it was all about using his versatility in the passing game. I mean it is Sean Payton we are talking about, unless you can catch he'll pick a RB off the street.

Bush gets most of his catches at or behind the LOS. Someone mentioned earlier we should use him like Welker - we already do to an extent except he usually lines up in the backfield. I mean Bush did set receiving records.

I think people need to watch the Saints more and that includes plenty of Saints fans.

Bush's problem in the running game is he gets to the line too quickly. His best runs always come on the delay. He also is a pretty good blocker.

I don't watch the Saints a great deal which is what i said earlier. I also mentioned the Welker thing.
Does he line-up in the slot very often or is he purely out of the backfield? Do you think there would be some merit into playing him from the slot?

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
I imagine they were cornered a little bit when Houston took Super Mario. They could either trade down, or take Bush. They wouldn't have wanted to be known as the second team who could've had Bush but passed him up.

From what I expected of him, coming out of college, and watching his highlight reels, I am disappointed by his output in the pros. I expected a Adrian Peterson-esque impact from Bush. He's not a bust by any means, and granted the effects he also had on the city & a beacon of hope.

I feel many folk will agree wholeheartedly with you Nappies but you know, that's what's totally intriguing about the NFL.. to the untrained eye who doesn't watch NFL as religously as the next guy can't see what seperates teams structures and RB's roles for each team. It's quite evident that Reggie Bush isn't your typical NOrl Saints RB that would be the Adrian Peterson type as Norl operate quite differently for one and that perhaps the coaches have moved away from what (outside) people expect from Bush and get Bush playing the way they care to use him in the Sean Payton NOrl system. I haven't seen enough of NORl football under Payton to state whether Bush fits their mould but it's clear that the Saints have found other guys to fill the RB role and it's working I believe. Just the D brings the Saints back to earth from being a 3-4+ win better team.

Mewelde Moore (3rd string RB) of the Steelers is perhaps Tomlin's Reggie Bush kinda player who thrives off the screens and can squeeze the hole without dancing like a maniac like other RB virtoso's. Quite an effective player for a supposably third stringer. ;) (pssst: Steelers real rushing threat!!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back