2011 Official Trade/Delisting Discussion Thread IIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? Where are these stats? Can you please direct me to them?
Start with this guy and follow some of the references. The RMIT study looks like the golden goose but unfortunately the full version isn't available publicly. I'd also have a gander at some historical drafts and compare the hit rate from the midpoint on to the corresponding rookie drafts. For every Swan at 58 there are ten Jacob Schubacks, and a Mumford at 134.

Think we are getting too excited about the 2012 - You need to have lots of picks in the first 50 - to give yourself every opportunity.

Unfortunately we have 18 clubs - Assuming we finish eight in 2012 -

So in theory one pick every 18

First pick is probably 10 -12 - Joe Daniher

Then you have clubs using their compo picks - could be 3 -5 - Possible Power/GC get priority picks after first round.

So two times 18 = 36

+ 4 compo picks

+ 2 PP picks

So second pick could be around 40-42

Then picks resume normal order.

So we will be lucky to have 2 picks in the top 40.

Hopefully we can find a Crameri again in the rookie draft - or trade up picks.

Please dont tell me Essendon are ONLY going to have just 2 "live" picks in the Draft? With Crameri" s elevation,i really fear the worst for the club.I know our list is ok BUT we need at least 3 inside mids..... And how many rookies can we pick?..:thumbsu:

Please dont tell me Essendon are ONLY going to have just 2 "live" picks in the Draft? With Crameri" s elevation,i really fear the worst for the club.I know our list is ok BUT we need at least 3 inside mids..... And how many rookies can we pick?..:thumbsu:
Good thing we have 4 in Watson, Howlett, Lonergan and Hocking. I don't care if we only have 2 live picks, from most reports the quality drops significantly from 40 onwards. Next year has been touted as a superdraft, and we can afford to lose Slattery, McVeigh, Hille, Dyson, NLM in that draft, especially if we pick up another Howlett/Hocking/Crameri in the RD. Especially if we get pick upgrades where we can manage it

Good thing we have 4 in Watson, Howlett, Lonergan and Hocking. I don't care if we only have 2 live picks, from most reports the quality drops significantly from 40 onwards. Next year has been touted as a superdraft, and we can afford to lose Slattery, McVeigh, Hille, Dyson, NLM in that draft, especially if we pick up another Howlett/Hocking/Crameri in the RD. Especially if we get pick upgrades where we can manage it

Agree. 1 year contracts for everyone unsigned - make a call on them next year. We have plenty of Rookie spots available for speculative picks.

Yep I agree and give the likes of Zaka, Hurley, Melksham, Heppell another year of development without having to bear too much responsibility in terms of leadership.

We've seen what happens at other clubs when all of their experience goes out the door at once.

So if we use our 1st pick on Daniher, our first live pick will be in the mid 30s. Most people I know are telling me Essendon will pick up Caddy next season so I wonder what we'll offer them - it won't be a high draft pick.

So if we use our 1st pick on Daniher, our first live pick will be in the mid 30s. Most people I know are telling me Essendon will pick up Caddy next season so I wonder what we'll offer them - it won't be a high draft pick.
Not necessarily. If we finish 6th and only someone like Carlton who IMO will finish above us bids their first round, we can use pick 30-something for Daniher and our first rounder on Caddy

Are these people involved with football/creditable?

We may get a pick if we lose someone to GWS. Seems the easiest way to get a bargaining chip. 1 year is a long time for things to happen.

Are these people involved with football/creditable?

We may get a pick if we lose someone to GWS. Seems the easiest way to get a bargaining chip. 1 year is a long time for things to happen.

Well the person that said Caddy asked out of GC after round 22 works for GC - and not as a boot studder! ;)

Those that are currently telling me are a mixture of both. Credible and not credible but a lot can happen in 12 months. As I said in another thread, the Caddy chapter has closed along with the book - at least I try and tell myself that! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the club really hasn't turned the team over too much. Not saying it's a bad thing, simply an observation.
James Hird did say, as soon as he was appointed that he wouldn't be making wholesale changes and he would give everyone on the list a chance to prove themselves. The only change I can see happening is Ricky Dyson being delisted at a later date.

Think we are getting too excited about the 2012 - You need to have lots of picks in the first 50 - to give yourself every opportunity.

First pick is probably 10 -12 - Joe Daniher

If Joey, is attracting as much attention as we hope he will, the smart move would be to trade our first rounder (say around pick 11) to anyone for a couple of mid second round picks (say 20 + a compo around 25). Then we still use our first pick (selection 20) on Joey and end up gaining pick 25 for nothing.

If Joey, is attracting as much attention as we hope he will, the smart move would be to trade our first rounder (say around pick 11) to anyone for a couple of mid second round picks (say 20 + a compo around 25). Then we still use our first pick (selection 20) on Joey and end up gaining pick 25 for nothing.

Can't happen.. F/s's done prior to trade week

Also wouldn't mind looking at John McCarthy (collingwood delist due to salary cap pressure) as a rookie. Been very solid at VFL level, although inconsistent in form due to a range of odd injuries - but nothing too serious. Hasn't been able to break into the 1's for a run of more than a few weeks due to collingwoods list.

Would much rather a player of his potential filling a spot on our list, rather than a Dyson who may have already reached his peak. Dick could also be a consideration but i think with winda and demps back in action our outside running stocks aint too bad.

Dyson okay towards the end of the season, but I'm surprised he's still on the list. The club obviously don't rate this draft after our second pick, and will be loading up on picks next year. Ricky shouldn't be given any more than year - and if he baulks at that, well thanks for your service.

Dyson okay towards the end of the season, but I'm surprised he's still on the list. The club obviously don't rate this draft after our second pick, and will be loading up on picks next year. Ricky shouldn't be given any more than year - and if he baulks at that, well thanks for your service.

I dont want to start up the same ol' discussion bit id rather dyson than Hank or NLM, dyson still can kick the ball at reasonable efficiency.

Those 3 have to be the luckiest footy players I have seen since Ben Doolan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back