2011 Official Trade/Delisting Discussion Thread IIII

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont want to start up the same ol' discussion bit id rather dyson than Hank or NLM, dyson still can kick the ball at reasonable efficiency.

Those 3 have to be the luckiest footy players I have seen since Ben Doolan.

All three will be very lucky - or massively improved - to be around this time next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of experienced players rookied, as they obviously lack any confidence in the draft.

So if we use our 1st pick on Daniher, our first live pick will be in the mid 30s. Most people I know are telling me Essendon will pick up Caddy next season so I wonder what we'll offer them - it won't be a high draft pick.

We only have to use our first pick if a club that finishes beneath us bids for J.Daniher - other wise we use our second round pick.

Doesn't change the fact that we will probably have one live pick in the top 40.

I don't think you HAVE to. We could do worse than give a rookie spot to Setanta - assuming he's available. He's still developing, and he would be a good option when our first choice KPPS are injured.

I don't think you HAVE to. We could do worse than give a rookie spot to Setanta - assuming he's available. He's still developing, and he would be a good option when our first choice KPPS are injured.

1zv4cit.gif

What 28 or 29 year old is still developing?

Seeing that there is so much doom and gloom about the strength of the 2011 ND - Do we have to choose any rookies - Seems to be slim pickings.

They will look for more Howlett, Marigliani, Crameri types along with maybe a few players who have been delisted.
Players who have solid second level form or have exposure to AFL and may find something with a 2nd or 3rd chance.

As for next years draft i am sure they will look at trading up spots in the draft as they have in the last few years so they have 3 or 4 picks inside the top 60.

They will look for more Howlett, Marigliani, Crameri types along with maybe a few players who have been delisted.
Players who have solid second level form or have exposure to AFL and may find something with a 2nd or 3rd chance.

As for next years draft i am sure they will look at trading up spots in the draft as they have in the last few years so they have 3 or 4 picks inside the top 60.
Which of those players would you look at? I really like Valenti and Duscher

Start with this guy and follow some of the references. The RMIT study looks like the golden goose but unfortunately the full version isn't available publicly. I'd also have a gander at some historical drafts and compare the hit rate from the midpoint on to the corresponding rookie drafts. For every Swan at 58 there are ten Jacob Schubacks, and a Mumford at 134.

You know M Sheehan is amongst those references!!!

Do you rate Patrick Rose?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My two cents of the delisted players:

Jye Bolton (Collingwood rookie)

Former Collingwood rookie who was a shock delisting, some Pies supporters calling for his elevation. A player who impressed me in a couple of games I saw him in at VFL level. A run and carry type player who can break the lines with his pace. Decision making could improve, but certainly improved over the course of the year and played some very, very good games for the VFL Magpies.

Marc Lock (Gold Coast)

A leader amongst men in their debut year, really not sure what happened to Lock this year, played the opening game (a Carlton schellacking in round 2). A tallish midfielder (192cm) who has a solid body already, surely someone will give him a second chance?

Adamm Maric (Melbourne player)

Small forward who seems to still be living off his draft camp kicking results all those years ago.. Despite this, the talent is obviously there, had a couple of real breakout games this year (30 - off possessions, 2 goals in one game). As a rookie, why not give him a second go?

Alistair Smith (St.Kilda)

Still youngish, who has pace and decent skills. Had some really good games at VFL level last year, but must have just plateaued this year. Remember watching him at Sandringham in what was an easily BOG game against Bendigo with his ability to rebound from half back using pin point disposal and his pace to break open zones a real standout. At AFL level, seemed rushed in his few games he did play, but one player I would look at.

Jordan Jones (West Coast Eagles)

2nd year player who was dumped despite showing very good form at WAFL level. Was simply way down the pecking at West Coast. Victoria boy who went across as a half back flanker but finished up as a running wingmen. Nice skills, really good size and seems to understand the game well enough. A player I would seriously have a look at.

And I have a serous feeling we will have a look at John McCarthy (former Collingwood player taken at # 31 back in the 2007 National Draft..

Not a player that really gives me great hope, has injuries, but could be a handy depth player.

I remember reading a Mark Harvey interview in 2009 and he said that they went after mature bodied players in the rookie draft that previous year because they thought that the kids at the bottom end of there senior list were a long way of playing the top level if injuries came up. Since then they have brought in Pearce, van Berlo, Broughton, Barlow, Silvagni and Lower in via rookie list and traded for Faulks and Mzungu in via the pre listed players last year. For every Stuart Crameri they is probably a Lachlan McKinnon but the success of the players coming straight from the state leagues would be the equal if not higher of any rookie listed players coming out of the u/18 in the past couple of years.

Think its essential we get a few mature aged rookies with a view to elevating 1-2 at end of next season. Possibly looking at retirements of Hille, Fletcher and McVeigh end of 2012, as well as a bunch of players who look to be at the crossroads. Still prefer to see at least one more delisting from the current group before the draft.

Think its essential we get a few mature aged rookies with a view to elevating 1-2 at end of next season. Possibly looking at retirements of Hille, Fletcher and McVeigh end of 2012, as well as a bunch of players who look to be at the crossroads. Still prefer to see at least one more delisting from the current group before the draft.

well said.

I agree, we potentially have 7-8 people who could move on next year. (Hille, Fletcher, Davey, Dyson, Slattery, Mcveigh, NLM and maybe even Long if he cant crack a game). Way too much for one draft period.

if thats the rose from port melbourne he has signed with ovens and murray club wodonga raiders.

And i am sure he is going to turn down an AFL rookie spot to stay in Wodonga IF he was to be selected.:D

They're not going to try to sign Hurley until we wrap our recruiting for next season. It's unlikely, but there might be another Travis Cloke the club might wish to target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back