Preview Round 5: Lions v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I was there the day the Cats flogged us at Carrara. We were much better tonight no question. Is there anyway I can block some posters? I am sick of reading negative and divisive comments made only to stir up trouble. They must have a sorry life.

My apologies chaps. My goal post force field contraption was not set to opposition. Blast!

I was there the day the Cats flogged us at Carrara. We were much better tonight no question. Is there anyway I can block some posters? I am sick of reading negative and divisive comments made only to stir up trouble. They must have a sorry life.
sure is. and believe me the minute you utilize it your bigfooty life becomes so much more tolerable.

I thought early on the scoreboard didn't do our efforts justice, but then the sodas at the tail end of the game probably flattered us a little, so, I guess it evened itself out overall. *shrugs*

Oh, and footy smarts and footy skills are still desperately needed. Anyone got any they don't want? :footy:

Pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Not quite sure why, but I still have a feeling that things will click for us at some stage. We live in hope...

People are allowed to have opinions. This is a forum you know. :rolleyes:

Is there anyway I can block some posters?

Click here and follow the prompts.

Link is also accessible via 'preferences' (top right corner) then 'edit ignore list' in the left menu.

I have a few qualms of my own with this post.

1. You've gone and said he's courageous and gutless in the same post. There goes your credibility already.

I think you'll find he was using the word brave sarcastically and it should be read as "brave" to get his true meaning ;)

I to was there at that dire game and that infamous event is generally but a memory that is in the deep dark recess of my mind. Sadly it is awakened when I occasionally read on here that we have played the worst game ever. Tonight hardly rates after that nightmare is stirred, indeed stirred to the heights of my mind like a Balrog from the dark depths of the mines of Moria.

hey just wondering why drummond got subbed off.. unfortunately was unable to watch the game..

Only watched on tele but he didn't seem to be injured if thats what your asking. Maybe just protecting him, although he has played more games in a row then he has for a couple of years so not sure if we should be concerned?

Not a dream team question is it?

Click here and follow the prompts.

Link is also accessible via 'preferences' (top right corner) then 'edit ignore list' in the left menu.

Thank you all. I have found the promised land. How long have you all been here while I have been outside putting up with all that crap?

Only watched on tele but he didn't seem to be injured if thats what your asking. Maybe just protecting him, although he has played more games in a row then he has for a couple of years so not sure if we should be concerned?

Not a dream team question is it?

nah just rate him as a player.. and i think has only played 14 games in last 2 years.. so was hoping it wasnt injury related..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Fatcat get to kick? Had to leave at Qrt time - sister was soaked :(

Yeah mate. Only good part of the night for me. They were kind and brought them in to about 10, 20, 30 and 40, but was kicking with those little footies they hand out after a win to the kids so needed it to be closer. Don't know how they were expecting someone to kick with them from 50. Gave me two cracks at each too which was good of them but only needed a second once

Got a black signed team poster, black signed mini footy, black signed framed caracture, and the big one, a signed and framed number 20 Guernsey with a plaque below it with all the details of his 300th game.

Have to say all the girls in the membership team were great tonight, genuinely wanted me to win it and were really nice to both myself and my wife. Even let me have a warm up under the gabba beforehand even if I almost did break a fluorescent light.

Must say that the field was horrendously wet. I was out there for a few minutes and my shoes and socks were completely soaked. Was an inch of standing water.

Thank you all. I have found the promised land. How long have you all been here while I have been outside putting up with all that crap?

Next comes the re-directed anger at those who quote posters on your ignore list (thus circumventing it). ;)

Worst game ever to take a mate to and try and convert him to AFL...was surprised 15,000 were at the game as well considering you only had to be in the rain for 30 seconds to be soaked. Poor Blacky :(

Not sure what to really make of the game, without paying any attention to the score board, the pressure from our guys around the ball was really good to see. They got a bit lucky early with free kicks/bounce of the ball and we couldn't ever take the momentum off them. Silly to take much out of the game.

I have a few qualms of my own with this post.

1. You've gone and said he's courageous and gutless in the same post. There goes your credibility already.

2. Love tap my ass. Looked dizzy and out of place after that thump. Took one more little "love tap" before they took him off the ground completely.

3. If you want to bring up ducking, Selwood plays within the rules, whether you like it or not. And you should get to the ball first, I mean Sel isn't even that fast!

4. Gutless players don't lead with their head.

I really want to be a good sport about this, but posts like this make it so hard.

To clarify, By saying Selwood is gutless i mean that he is of weak moral character and lacks a common sense of decency that one might expect of a footballer.

Got nothing to do with his bravery. Plenty of brave players out there who i would say were gutless. Alastair Clarkson, Leigh Matthews (just for that hit on Bruns), Matthew Lloyd, etc.

Okay, so massively disappointed tonight, mainly for Blacky but also the club. Geelong played the conditions much better than us, and I suppose that comes with experience. Luckily, there's always another week, and a chance for the boys to redeem themselves. While it was s**t, the conditions made this performance worse than what it should have been.

Musings from the game:
I feel that a few players needed the blowtorch turned on them, in particular our back 6 with the exception of Hanley.
- Merrett: had an absolute stinker, I honestly don't know what he was thinking several times when he got near it. I'd love him to be played in the backline for the rest of the year. Until he got injured last season, he was in line for AA honours at full back, I understand Brown's injury forced us to adapt, but FFS please send him back to the backline on a permanent basis
- Maguire: Probably has nightmares of playing Geelong, I just expect a stronger contest from him and while a lot of people want him out of the team, unfortunately we don't have any KPP capable of covering for him down back. Could throw Patfull into this category as well.
- Golby & Lester: Still young and learning, but both were poor tonight, I've no doubt conditions played a major role in this, but they will get better with experience.
- Drummond: Basically a non factor and I wouldn't have known had he been on the pine the whole game.
- Sheldon: I know he's a massive whipping boy on here, but honestly he was one of our better players tonight, he was able to pick up the footy cleanly and wasn't too bad with it which is much better than most of the other players in particular the back 6. Now if he could just manage more than 10 possessions a game.
- Cornelius: Shocking conditions for his style and would really feel for him if he was dropped next week. He worked hard and applied pressure so he gets a positive mention from me based on effort.
- Rockliff: Definitely not one of his better games, got a ton of it, but due to the conditions wasn't really effective with it, as shown by his efficiency, played with passion though.
- Crisp: I like this kid's endeavour and with time I reckon he can be Rockliff MKII maybe not in the same echelon, but around the mark. He will get better with time and tonight's conditions made all of our boys suffer and he was no different.
- Polec: Keeps getting better. Can't wait for him to have 80+ games to his name and be tearing it up.

As for the Selwood-Raines incident in the last quarter. I was really disappointed with Selwood on this, after watching the footage several times at home, I'm convinced he was foxing for the free kick/Raines suspension. I'm a massive fan of Joel and the way he goes about it, but I know that occassionally he stays down and makes incidents appear worse than what they are. The Raines blow was a glancing blow rather than a fully fledged hit, and Joel while taking a few deep breaths at the next stoppage, he was not as out of it as the commentators were making out. I reckon they would have both hit each other with equal force, and Raines stayed up whilst Selwood went down, I think Raines would have been pretty surprised, and I think that Selwood was surprised and a little offended that Raines threw one back, judging by the next contest when he dragged Raines down. Either way, Joel will probably get a week and Raines 2 plus whatever for the sliding in incident.

Overall, disappointed with the way we played, but the conditions played a major part and Geelong's experience/bigger bodies was telling. In dry conditions the game would have been vastly different. Our group is young & still learning, it's far from the finished product and we are going to prone to inconsistent performances for another 2-3 years at least as we move forward.

Final note, why are so many of our ex players assistant coaches at rival clubs? Please lets start bringing a few home, imagine Nigel Lappin as a midfield coach and Leppitsch as a defensive coach. Would be a nice throwback to the old days as well as a fair bit of knowledge coming in. No offense to the current coaching group, as I'm confident we've got a good coaching group at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back