AFL 2014 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

2cfshlg.png

Predicting a return to 2011/12 form for WC and Adelaide and Essendon slowing down about halfway through the year, I've probably underrated some teams (Pies, Lions, Bombers, Tigers) and overrated others.
2 vic teams in the finals !

Fremantle
North Melbourne
Sydney
Port Adelaide
Hawthorn
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton

Adelaide
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Western Bulldogs
Geelong
West Coast
Collingwood
Melbourne
GWS
St Kilda

Update:

Fremantle
Hawthorn
Sydney
Port Adelaide
Essendon
North Melbourne
Richmond
West Coast

Gold Coast
Geelong
Carlton
Adelaide
Brisbane
Collingwood
Western Bulldogs
GWS
St Kilda
Melbourne

Last edited:

Drop Richmond and Carlton down a few places after tonight.

"It's gonna be tough facing the tigers and blues this season" said nobody.,.

If some people drop Carlton down any further they will be in the VFL :D

Update:

Fremantle
Hawthorn
Sydney
Port Adelaide
Essendon
North Melbourne
Richmond
West Coast

Gold Coast
Geelong
Carlton
Adelaide
Brisbane
Collingwood
Western Bulldogs
GWS
St Kilda
Melbourne

I'd really like to know your rational here. I think you have overestimated the ability of a number of clubs.
I'm open to be persuaded though!

I'd really like to know your rational here. I think you have overestimated the ability of a number of clubs.
I'm open to be persuaded though!

Haha, which clubs do you reckon I'm overestimating? Norf? Port?
Just my prediction, I'm sure there will be plenty of clubs who surprise my expectations this year.

1. Fremantle
2. Hawthorn
3. Essendon
4. Port adelaide
5. Geelong
6. West Coast
7. Collingwood
8. Gold Coast
9. Richmond
10. Sydney
11. Adelaide
12. North Melbourne
13. Carlton
14. Brisbane
15. GWS
16. Saints
17. Western Bulldogs
18. Melbourne

Expecting sydney to do a 2013 West Coast- High expectations just to fall on their face.
This doesn't take into account the draws either, it's more a power ranking of teams from my perspective so far. Obviously Saints aren't higher because of their opposition so far while GWS snagged one from sydney, but I'd swap the 2 in a heartbeat.

Loving all of those who said St Kilda wouldn't win a game having to eat their words!
The competition is so even now that no team will ever go through a season without winning a game.

Looking at your fixture though, think that will be your last win for a few weeks, I don't see more than 1-2 more for the season.

Drop Richmond and Carlton down a few places after tonight.

"It's gonna be tough facing the tigers and blues this season" said nobody.,.
We've faced our two bogey sides, and have not been great, but I don't think we'll be easy beats. We've comfortably beaten the both grand finalists in each of the last two years. We can match it with the best on our day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a closer look and seeing the sides shape up I reckon something like: Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon, Freo, West Coast going for the top 4 spots with Richmond, Port, North competing to make up the numbers.

Having a closer look and seeing the sides shape up I reckon something like: Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon, Freo, West Coast going for the top 4 spots with Richmond, Port, North competing to make up the numbers.

Underestimating Port and overestimating Collingwood was a bit silly a month ago, but absolutely unbelievable at this point.

Correct Big footy answer sir.:p

Port have to be considered a shot for top four if Essendon, Collingwood and and West Coast are. Port look amazing at the moment.

My predictions after round 2
1. Fremantle
2. Hawthorn
3. West Coast
4. Port Adelaide
5. Geelong
6. Essendon
7. Gold Coast
8. Richmond
9. North Melbourne
10. Carlton
11. Sydney
12. Collingwood
13. Adelaide
14. Bulldogs
15. Brisbane
16. St Kilda
17. GWS
18. Melbourne

wish we could of started the year with Melbourne and GWS at home
Is your draw harder than ours? Despite finishing bottom 4 last year we don't play ANY of the other bottom 4 teams from last year twice this season. They were our one and only games against Melbourne and GWS for the year and we don't play WB until round 20!

The competition is so even now that no team will ever go through a season without winning a game.

Looking at your fixture though, think that will be your last win for a few weeks, I don't see more than 1-2 more for the season.
We have plenty more "winnable" games in the coming weeks. I'm hardly shaking in my boots about Adelaide at Etihad (where we have an extremely good record against interstate teams) in two weeks (when they could conceivably be 0-3), or Brisbane in NZ in 4, or Carlton or Gold Coast at Etihad in 6 and 7 weeks respectively. Especially if we have closer to our full team on the park in any of those games (Steven due back as soon as the Adelaide game in R4 and Fisher and Schneider also due back around then).

Apparently Richardson has consistently maintained that we will be better in the 2nd half of the year, too, I guess once we get more used to the game plan and so-on, but it's also the 2nd half of the year where draw is relatively difficult, not the first half.

We have loads of room for improvement on our performances in the past two weeks though and there are a few in the VFL or due back soon from injury who could make us a better team, as could the likes of Montagna and Hayes having a game under their belts now and Gilbert having a couple under his belt, after not having had a game of any kind prior to R1 (after breaking his foot a couple of months ago).

We did what had to be done these past two weeks but I'd suggest it was well short of what we're capable of as a club this season, all things being equal.

Last edited:
Is your draw harder than ours? Despite finishing bottom 4 last year we don't play ANY of the other bottom 4 teams from last year twice this season. They were our one and only games against Melbourne and GWS for the year and we don't play WB until round 20!

Pretty sure herald sun classed ours as the hardest. Mainly for the fact we aren't that good to start off with but get Fremantle, Geelong, Richmond, North and Gold Coast two times.

I wish all Collingwood supporters thought that as it will make their failure even more enjoyable.

Top 8 = maybe
Top 4 = you're on drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back