Poor AFL Crowds *Worst in 20 years*

Why don't you attend matches

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The most ironic part for me is that stakeholders spent $100m on a Kardinia Park redevelopment to seat more spectators, only for the AFL to schedule matches when fewer people can go.

Exactly. I don't want special treatment or anything like that, but surely they must realise a LOT of Geelong fans live in Melbourne now. More than ever. Night games sure, if it's a Friday or Saturday. But scheduling on a Thursday night removes a lot of people immediately.

s**t inconvenient time slots. But the other option for me is I've had a dwindling interest in the product for some time now. The changes to the game mean I'm not as drawn as I used to be. If Carlton went out of the league I would simply stop following the AFL at that point I reckon. Also, the umps and umpire interpretation have driven me mad in recent years. I'm not investing my time and money to see matches influenced by the maggots, which last year I witnessed at least two for Carlton. I left thinking I'd wasted my time even bothering, which isn't a great way to make your customer feel about your product.

Bad time slots are a big factore
The game is too focused on defensive work and it leads to scrappy games
Severe lack of entertaining footballers in my opinion apart form Ablett and a lack of charcters in our game
Costs have incresed and some people just cannot justify the cost.
Stupid rules, s**t umpires and a Match Review Panel that is stupid.
Jurnos are dipshits
Essendon saga just keeps on going

Football needs to become attacking again, we need charcters back in our game and we need our enterainment back.

32,347 for the Collingwood game will have taken the smile of the face of the GWS crowd from the preivous week. This figure is a massive concern for the AFL and if it is shown to be more the norm than an anomily then the AFL will be incredibly nervous.

True about the Collingwood crowd. That game is usually their big mid-season drawing card but this year it was plonked in Round 2, with an extra week for the Sydney media to forget about it. My point, however, was that with the SCG's capacity now at 48,000 instead of around 35,000 or so from the last couple of years, means that generally, Sydney should draw bigger crowds.

get off your high course just because collingwood isn't involved does not mean block buster crowds wont turn out. of the big 5 big drawing teams all will pull crowds when they are up and playing well
the pies have have played port for 37k to turn up and vs swans up at anz for 31k collingwoods
crowds are down all round the place. sydney, tassie and melbourne.

High horse? When did I ever say Collingwood had to be involved? Did I not list the 3 games I view as blockbusters? Or am I just not understanding what you're trying to say? I mean not many people probably can, so I won't bother arguing. We've had two games at the MCG this year, of course average crowds will be lower at this point. Apart from that you just look like an illiterate fool.

I'm living overseas currently so that's my reason. Even if I was back home in Melbourne I'd probably only go to 3 or 4 of the 5 or 6 Lions games in Melbourne. Paid up for the Vic Membership. Maybe 1 or 2 as a neutral supporter but that would be it. The coverage on Fox is great these days. I enjoy watching games at home or at the local. Still get down to enjoy the atmosphere when the boys are in town.

Prices and FIXED fixture obviously an issue this year however I don't think the current standing of the game particularly PED use and the ongoing investigation should be ignored. Probably doesn't effect the die hards on bigfooty that much as they will go and support their team no matter what but for the casual observer it's certainly had an impact. So much media coverage when only 1/100 articles actually uncovers something significant. The last season was absorbed by it and we spent more time reading about Essendon & Hird than we did about the great list Freo had going, or the young guns from Port Adelaide climbing their way up the ladder.

Not only the Media coverage but the current state of our game and the ongoing investigation is sure to leave a bad taste for some. Personally I can't get into watching Essendon play unless they are getting beaten. Once you have a club known to have done the things they have done running around on the park belting teams you start to really question the integrity of the game and the AFL administration in general. They have never been one to put fairness before the $ and this is just another example. It's a really bad year for the AFL. Vlad's "Tip Off" is hardly the issue. It's the big broom and rug he's holding right now to keep one of his highest earners competitive when they really shouldn't be that is a major issue.

Just spare a thought for the Brisbane folk who on Sunday had to endure a 12:10 start. Can't remember a game ever starting that early since the morning game in Canberra in 1998.

Another factor might be that the pre-season competition this year was utterly pointless, was scheduled in a totally bizarre way, and was viewable only on Foxtel. Not exactly building much anticipation for the season. May well be time to dump it in favour of a couple of practice matches followed by round 1 proper.

The NRL realised this this year that they needed a tournament to get the people talking about their code's on field product (for the last few years, it's been generally trials that haven't had any media coverage apart from the World Club Challenge, the Indigenous match which was shelved this year and the Charity Shield), hence with some private money they came up with the 9's concept. Perhaps a 12 or 14 a side lightning carnival is what the AFL needs to get the media excited again, then have a couple of full scale matches before the real thing starts.

True about the Collingwood crowd. That game is usually their big mid-season drawing card but this year it was plonked in Round 2, with an extra week for the Sydney media to forget about it. My point, however, was that with the SCG's capacity now at 48,000 instead of around 35,000 or so from the last couple of years, means that generally, Sydney should draw bigger crowds.
I really don't think it will make that much difference, maybe increase the average by a couple of thousand, but they've consistently averaged about 25,000 at the SCG over the last 7 years.

What it does say though is that they should never put a Swans match out at ANZ again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did in NW Sydney that evening
I was in the city all day and not a drop of rain - in fact the weather was beautiful for most of the day. Furthermore, BOM didn't record a single millimetre at Sydney Olympic Park.

I was in the city all day and not a drop of rain - in fact the weather was beautiful for most of the day. Furthermore, BOM didn't record a single millimetre at Sydney Olympic Park.

How often is the weather in the CBD reflective of that in the west though?

I'm near Blacktown, and yes the day was gorgeous. But in the afternoon it darkened up, temps dropped, and drizzle started with the expectation of a lot more to come (I know because I had to shove my wet washing from the line to the drier because of the non existent rain)

It ended up not being a huge amount, but it did rain

How often is the weather in the CBD reflective of that in the west though?

I'm near Blacktown, and yes the day was gorgeous. But in the afternoon it darkened up, temps dropped, and drizzle started with the expectation of a lot more to come (I know because I had to shove my wet washing from the line to the drier because of the non existent rain)

It ended up not being a huge amount, but it did rain
Homebush is closer to the CBD than Blacktown, and given most Swans fans are from the inner east and inner west I doubt weather would have affected their decision that much.

I just don't think the weather is that big a determinant. It actually pissed down for the Sydney vs Essendon game last year and the crowd was only 3000 people fewer than the Sydney vs Collingwood game this year.

Homebush is closer to the CBD than Blacktown, and given most Swans fans are from the inner east and inner west I doubt weather would have affected their decision that much.

I just don't think the weather is that big a determinant. It actually pissed down for the Sydney vs Essendon game last year and the crowd was only 3000 people fewer than the Sydney vs Collingwood game this year.

I never said it did, I'm just disagreeing with your slamming of anyone who said it rained in Sydney, it did. What effct it had, if any, is another matter

Hate these headlines - just look a little past your nose first. Compare rounds 1-2 last year to this year. What do you notice?

how many times in the past 20 years has the MCG been unavailable for the first round of the season?

Prices are slightly up, and they are experimenting with time slots. No need for hysteria just yet.

I never said it did, I'm just disagreeing with your slamming of anyone who said it rained in Sydney, it did. What effct it had, if any, is another matter
0.0mm recorded is not rain in Sydney nor is saying "No it didn't" 'slamming' anyone.

0.0mm recorded is not rain in Sydney nor is saying "No it didn't" 'slamming' anyone.

When you dismiss any observation that doesn't match yours as rudely as you did, yes it is

You had multiple people saying it rained, yet because you didn't see it they were either blind, drunk, or lying

Argue the weather had no impact, you actually have a pint there. Arguing everyone else saw something that didn't exist is insulting and irrelevant

When you dismiss any observation that doesn't match yours as rudely as you did, yes it is

Rudely? Take a deep breath.

You had multiple people saying it rained, yet because you didn't see it they were either blind, drunk, or lying
Multiple people? Blind, drunk or lying? Huh?

You are the master of hyperbole.

Argue the weather had no impact, you actually have a pint there. Arguing everyone else saw something that didn't exist is insulting and irrelevant

The observations by the Bureau of Meteorology, as well as my own observations and the fact that no one is willing to assert that it was a wet game for Sydney vs Collingwood seem to all add up that it was not raining.

Why would the assertions of someone who lives in Melbourne over my own observations living in the city

Rudely? Take a deep breath.

Multiple people? Blind, drunk or lying? Huh?

You are the master of hyperbole.

The observations by the Bureau of Meteorology, as well as my own observations and the fact that no one is willing to assert that it was a wet game for Sydney vs Collingwood seem to all add up that it was not raining.

At that specific location, you have been maintaining it didn't rain in Sydney at all, and everyone who said so is wrong

Why would people lie about it raining??

Also Sydney is more than just the eastern suburbs

Back