Poor AFL Crowds *Worst in 20 years*

Why don't you attend matches

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No I haven't.

When someone like yourself attempts to put words in my mouth, why should I assume you are telling the truth.

Sorry, didn't realise "no it didn't" doesn't mean "no it didn't". Thanks for confirming you think I'm lying too (I still don't know why you think we would lie about it raining)

Anyway we are boring everyone to death, I saw it rain, you think I'm lying, let's move on

Sorry, didn't realise "no it didn't" doesn't mean "no it didn't".
You do understand context, right? The discussion was never about far flung reaches of the city such as Palm Beach or Campbelltown, but whether it rained at the game. Which it didn't.

Yeah I found this surprising. Lots of people saying that Franklin was brought in as 'marketing' as much as for onfield performance yet attendance is down so much.

Hopefully it picks up for them.

The Swans have hit the point of no return with ANZ. It's just very, very difficult to get anyone to go out there.

I didn't go to the game. I was planning on it, but my mate bailed at the last minute. If it was at the SCG, I would have just gone by myself. But the thought of having to go to ANZ Stadium by myself was just too depressing.

I really don't think it will make that much difference, maybe increase the average by a couple of thousand, but they've consistently averaged about 25,000 at the SCG over the last 7 years.

What it does say though is that they should never put a Swans match out at ANZ again.

The SCG has basically been under constant redevelopment for the last 7 years.

When did they redo the Hill, thought that was in the mid-00s and then they had a few years off, doing the remainder between two Ashes series?

Trumper was done in 2007 and 2008 and the Bradman/M.A. Noble done in 2012 and 2013. So not literally every year but it's been an issue in terms of getting the bigger crowds because the amount of general admission tickets to sell was limited.

If we can actually start playing some good football and get buzz around the team, we should get some very good crowds at the SCG this year. That is of course if we manage to have a blockbuster game where it doesn't pour with rain. I know that sounds like a huge cop out but seriously it seems like that happens every time we get a Friday night game out there.

Trumper was done in 2007 and 2008 and the Bradman/M.A. Noble done in 2012 and 2013. So not literally every year but it's been an issue in terms of getting the bigger crowds because the amount of general admission tickets to sell was limited.

If we can actually start playing some good football and get buzz around the team, we should get some very good crowds at the SCG this year. That is of course if we manage to have a blockbuster game where it doesn't pour with rain. I know that sounds like a huge cop out but seriously it seems like that happens every time we get a Friday night game out there.
The idea of rain and getting on a train to Homebush just makes me think of Waverley all over again. The crazy thing is that now with a capacity of 48,000 (pretty sure that is the new figure) it doesn't make sense to go to Homebush when everyone knows no-one likes the place, League fans included, everyone reckons it is a dump.

Considering that a lot of people have to get up in the morning for work, school or something else it doesn't make much sense to have Thursday, Monday and Sunday night matches. I'm not fond of it one bit.

Its all about the next TV deal and testing the waters to see how viable it is to play these nights vs the extra money from TV

The idea of rain and getting on a train to Homebush just makes me think of Waverley all over again. The crazy thing is that now with a capacity of 48,000 (pretty sure that is the new figure) it doesn't make sense to go to Homebush when everyone knows no-one likes the place, League fans included, everyone reckons it is a dump.

Yep the sooner the AFL is out of there the better

The Swans would most likely make more out of 40,000 + at the SCG than 60,000 at ANZ

Some of the RL games that get only 12 - 15,000 at ANZ must be losing heaps unless ANZ is tipping in then they would struggle to make ends meet as well.

Ill say it again the high water mark for AFL crowds in the mid 2000s will not be reached again due to many factors including more choice and esp the direct telecasting of every game

Give the public an easy less expensive option ( sit at home on a cold wet night and watch the game in comfort and pay nothing!)as opposed to the fanatics and they will take the easy option every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wait until the average punter comes to understand the extent of the AFl's match fixing when the Suns and Giants take all those gifted draft picks and dominate the comp for 4-5 years.

Spend ~200 dollars to watch your team get done by Fat Andy's running dogs? Yeah right

The Swans have hit the point of no return with ANZ. It's just very, very difficult to get anyone to go out there.

I didn't go to the game. I was planning on it, but my mate bailed at the last minute. If it was at the SCG, I would have just gone by myself. But the thought of having to go to ANZ Stadium by myself was just too depressing.

I've never actually been to Sydney (so I probably don't know), but what is exactly wrong with ANZ Stadium?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cliff notes? Unable to view the video for some reason.
- Not the fault of the variable ticket pricing
- Split round 1 and normal round 1 games being in round 2
- The best seats are more expensive because the cheaper seats are even cheaper now
- School holidays means they get to test different time slots

Ill say it again the high water mark for AFL crowds in the mid 2000s will not be reached again due to many factors including more choice and esp the direct telecasting of every game

Give the public an easy less expensive option ( sit at home on a cold wet night and watch the game in comfort and pay nothing!)as opposed to the fanatics and they will take the easy option every time.
Bingo. Called that here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...-deal-on-membership-and-crowd-numbers.819727/

- Not the fault of the variable ticket pricing
- Split round 1 and normal round 1 games being in round 2
- The best seats are more expensive because the cheaper seats are even cheaper now
- School holidays means they get to test different time slots

Delusional. I also love it how the AFL blames the scheduling - 1) you scheduled it! and 2) the product should be strong enough that it doesn't matter who is scheduled against who, every game should be just as entertaining as another based on the competition. If it's not then that is a huge indictment on those in charge.

Delusional. I also love it how the AFL blames the scheduling - 1) you scheduled it! and 2) the product should be strong enough that it doesn't matter who is scheduled against who, every game should be just as entertaining as another based on the competition. If it's not then that is a huge indictment on those in charge.

1. Maybe the AFL now realises how stupid its scheduling was. and 2) the AFL cant control the incompetence of clubs who cant play and arent developing properly. Clubs are given handouts, draft picks and other assistance - its up to the clubs to be competent and entertaining, not the league.

1. Maybe the AFL now realises how stupid its scheduling was. and 2) the AFL cant control the incompetence of clubs who cant play and arent developing properly. Clubs are given handouts, draft picks and other assistance - its up to the clubs to be competent and entertaining, not the league.

So the introduction of 2 new clubs in the circumstances they were brought in so that they would suffer drubbings week in, week out for the first couple of years wasn't their fault? (Obviously Melbourne is another issue but overall, there should be an "any given Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday" mentality and the product should stand alone regardless of who is scheduled to play).

I take your point on point 1, I think they realise they can't have Thursday, Sunday, Monday night matches every week and expect it not to have an effect on crowds and I expect they'll abandon at least part of these next year. Look at Carlton's run so far, Sunday night, Thursday night, Sunday night - if that was Melbourne I'd be furious.

I'd love to see the AFL try at least one round nex year where they have a "barrackers round" or Super Saturday round where we see as many games as possible on Saturday afternoon and see how the fans respond. With the proper marketing I think we'd see crowd records smashed. The TV scheduling would have to be worked out but it wouldn't be too hard, Foxtel has 4 channels they could use and then there's channel 7 as well. The round could be something like this;

Friday night - North Melbourne v Carlton (MCG)
Saturday 2pm local time - Geelong v Bulldogs (Kardinia Park)
Hawthorn v Essendon (MCG)
St. Kilda v Melbourne (Docklands)
Sydney v GWS (SCG)
Brisbane v Gold Coast (Gabba)
West Coast v Freo (Subi - 5pm AEST)
Saturday Night - Adelaide v Port (Adelaide Oval)
Sunday 2pm - Richmond v Collingwood (MCG)

The excitement of having 5 or 6 Saturday afternoon games on simultaneously as it was in the 80's would be awesome. Obviously the teams could be shuffled around but the idea is sound. The last round before finals should be scheduled like this also to prevent teams being disadvantaged heading into finals. The NFL schedules their games like this every week (1 Thursday night game, 5 Sunday 1pm games, 6 Sunday 4pm games, 1 Sunday night game, 1 Monday night game) and it is great having the games on at once. The Red Zone channel which skips between the games depending on who is about to score/which game is closest is great as well though there would be issues implementing this in AFL due to the dynamic nature of the game.

Saturday arvo aint what it used to be. It's a working day for a lot more of the population now. I'd be interested to see some stats on Saturday arvo games in relation to crowds and TV viewers, because both seem to be lower for games played then.

Saturday arvo aint what it used to be. It's a working day for a lot more of the population now. I'd be interested to see some stats on Saturday arvo games in relation to crowds and TV viewers, because both seem to be lower for games played then.

You are quite right millions of people work around the nation on Saturdays now and Sat arvo TV ratings have always been a dead zone.One reason why the GF should be a night and it will be like it or not.
Good Friday and a night GF are about the bargaining points the AFL have left for the next TV deal which hopefully will be $1.6 + Billion

The old days when Sunday football was banned and people used to work Sat mornings the games were played in the arvo about 2.30 so people could come straight from work to the footy.

Back