The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The game has to be a blockbuster, north and the dogs don't fit the criteria IMO, if the main purpose of the game is to raise money for the kids then Collingwood simply has to be involved.

Collingwood-Carlton-Essendon-Richmond didn't become popular because of Friday night prime time slots, those clubs were popular way before Friday night football-Anzac day-Dreamtime, I get the feeling North and dogs fans think those big 4 clubs get a leg up through blockbusters etc etc but they were already much more popular prior to Television blockbusters.

I think it's a bit selfish for smaller clubs expecting the slot when the main purpose of the day should be to raise money for charity.

I think Jon Ralph needs to check his GPS.

Since when is Essendon near the Parkville? Tullamarine sure as he'll isn't either.

Probably doesn't venture north of the yarra river much

hold on, let me find my post from last year.

Are you implying that we talk about the same thing over and over and over and over and over again?

Bollocks.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to the 'Share ANZAC Day', 'This is Richmond's year', 'Hird/Voss/Buckley - who was better?', 'Jack Watts', 'Culture', 'Who will have the best midfield in three years' and 'My unproven youngster is better than your unproven youngster' threads to offer my valuable, insightful and completely original input.

If Jon Ralph is right (god forbid) and Essendon is one of the teams to play GF, then why not make them the away team.
Bulldogs or North to be the home team to really get a good crowd at Etihad.
Not being a religious person footy on GF doesn't bother me.

Having said that though, I do like the fact that the AFL is the only domestic football code not to hold a game on GF.
Even the VFL has a game scheduled for tomorrow night.

Are you implying that we talk about the same thing over and over and over and over and over again?

Bollocks.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to the 'Share ANZAC Day', 'This is Richmond's year', 'Hird/Voss/Buckley - who was better?', 'Jack Watts', 'Culture', 'Who will have the best midfield in three years' and 'My unproven youngster is better than your unproven youngster' threads to offer my valuable, insightful and completely original input.

Carlton v Collingwood s**t fight threads etc....

EASTER 2015

SAINT JAMES

THE RESURRECTION

C'mon guys... it just works... don't pretend you wouldn't love it

873p2.jpg

Day: Highest finishing team in Adelaide the year perviously v some Vic team. 50k crowd
Twighlight: Highest finishing team in Perth v some Vic team. 40k crowd
Night: 2 vic teams that need a marquee game. 40-70k crowd depending on the teams.

I think it's a bit selfish for smaller clubs expecting the slot when the main purpose of the day should be to raise money for charity.
I agree mate.

Brayshaw is a disgrace.

Funny how North want to play Carlton and the Dogs want to play Essendon, I wonder why they don't want to play each other. mmmm

The game has to be a blockbuster, north and the dogs don't fit the criteria IMO, if the main purpose of the game is to raise money for the kids then Collingwood simply has to be involved.

Collingwood-Carlton-Essendon-Richmond didn't become popular because of Friday night prime time slots, those clubs were popular way before Friday night football-Anzac day-Dreamtime, I get the feeling North and dogs fans think those big 4 clubs get a leg up through blockbusters etc etc but they were already much more popular prior to Television blockbusters.

The main purpose doesn't have to be to raise money for charity. If Collingwood or any other big clubs want to donate money to charity then they don't need a game as an excuse to do it. That logic is in line with Collingwood's charity as punishment philosophy.

The so called big 4 of course had bigger fan bases before prime time TV games. But how has 20+ years of repeated exposure grown those clubs exponentially compared to the small clubs. And my favourite block buster game of the year is Easter Monday and there's no big 4 involved in that game.

The small clubs deserve their shot at a marquee game that can then grow along with them. That's what's best for the game. It will also help all charities to have stronger smaller clubs in Melbourne so players can donate their time to hospitals and everything else. No amount of money can replace the value of a sick kid getting a visit from his favourite bulldogs or kangaroo player.

By the way the AFL should use this game as an opportunity to not donate to the Royal Childrens hospital and should donate the money to the Monash Childrens hospital. Or Childrens wards/ED at the Austin, Box Hill or several country hospitals. Every day RCH's emergency department is overcrowded due to parents driving straight passed perfectly good hospitals and doctors who could care for their kids.

The main purpose doesn't have to be to raise money for charity.
It does if you don't give it to one of the broke clubs.

GF football raising money for the poor sick kids at the RCH>>>> GF football propping up broke clubs.

Shame on you for even suggesting otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main purpose doesn't have to be to raise money for charity. If Collingwood or any other big clubs want to donate money to charity then they don't need a game as an excuse to do it. That logic is in line with Collingwood's charity as punishment philosophy.

The so called big 4 of course had bigger fan bases before prime time TV games. But how has 20+ years of repeated exposure grown those clubs exponentially compared to the small clubs. And my favourite block buster game of the year is Easter Monday and there's no big 4 involved in that game.

The small clubs deserve their shot at a marquee game that can then grow along with them. That's what's best for the game. It will also help all charities to have stronger smaller clubs in Melbourne so players can donate their time to hospitals and everything else. No amount of money can replace the value of a sick kid getting a visit from his favourite bulldogs or kangaroo player.

By the way the AFL should use this game as an opportunity to not donate to the Royal Childrens hospital and should donate the money to the Monash Childrens hospital. Or Childrens wards/ED at the Austin, Box Hill or several country hospitals. Every day RCH's emergency department is overcrowded due to parents driving straight passed perfectly good hospitals and doctors who could care for their kids.

But the AFL get a large portion of the broadcast rights cash because of blockbusters, the smaller clubs are happy to take their equal share of that money, start playing North and the Dogs every second Friday night and the ratings would plummet, along with our record television deals, it is what it is, give the people what they want IMO and the vast majority of people want blockbusters on public holidays.

It has to be out of Essendon, Adelaide and Carlton.

They're the 3 clubs that have been caught doing the wrong thing by the AFL in recent years.

Isn't that how the backwards thinking of the AFL works?

In all seriousness...

North v Dogs at Ethiad

With consideration to a game in Perth. WC or Freo v St.Kilda or Brisbane. Perhaps make that one a sliding fixture.

Essendon has Anzac day and Dreamtime.
Tigers have Dreamtime and round 1 opener (usually)
Melbourne has Queens birthday.
Collingwood has enough.
Hawks, Geelong don't need help.

Anyone who thinks the purpose of a GF game is to raise money for charity.

PM me for details of an ostrich farm share offer, its a sure fire money maker.
It should be.

It wont be if we get 23K at Etihad watching two teams nobody gives a damn about.

It should be.

It wont be if we get 23K at Etihad watching two teams nobody gives a damn about.
It's early in the season on a public holiday as a standalone Friday night game.

Bulldogs v North at the brilliant Sunday 4:40pm twilight time in round 2 drew 28,512, even that same fixture on a Friday night attracts at least 35,000 I would think. Move it to Good Friday and I'm sure it gets 45,000 at least.

There's been plenty of ANZAC day games of late where the interest in Essendon and Collingwood hasn't been massive but the event alone draws the crowds and the viewers. It's time to let some smaller clubs get a shot at having a marquee game. In the interest of equality they deserve the right to at least try. We are starting a game on a day there was no game. There's not a lot to lose by giving small clubs first shot.

Perhaps but the fixture was scheduled in round 1 in 2007 (albeit in a twilight slot) and 2011

2007: 59847
2011: 60654

The point is, no fixture is immune to lower attendances (with the probable exception of Dreamtime at the G and ANZAC Day)

Possibly, but those two fixtures are ridiculously and relentlessly hyped more as well.

Perhaps but the fixture was scheduled in round 1 in 2007 (albeit in a twilight slot) and 2011

2007: 59847
2011: 60654

What game do these stats above belong to?

You've got a pretty ignorant grasp of football history if you're comparing Hawks and Cats to Sydney and West Coast. The Hawks v Cats rivalry goes back to the 1960s and the Kennedy and Davis feud (that resulted in one suing the other in 1963). Geelong buried a Hawk under Kardina Park and embarked on a 44 year hiatus (and in the meantime Hawthorn won 8 flags). Fast forward to the mid 1980s and you've got the Neville Bruns incident, Gary Ablett's decision to leave Hawthorn, the 87 final round game, 89, 91 and countless close ties during the 1990s. In fact Geelong and Hawthorn were the first clubs to play in a final at Docklands, under the current finals system (which the Hawks won by less than 2 kicks). Fast forward to 2002 and the Hawks knocked Geelong out of the finals race with a last round upset win.

To compare it to West Coast and Sydney which aside from a magical stretch between 2004-2006 has little rivalry to its name is pretty insulting

Agree that it's comfortably a better rivalry than Sydney and Hawthorn. But for a very long chunk of time, it didn't matter at all to opposition fans, and sometimes not to each other (all through the 1970s, 1992-2007 inclusive). Ablett's decision to leave Hawthorn was never ever a big deal, and like most things it invariably became something for Hawthorn fans to gloat over.

Back