Preview AFL Round 5 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Monday 21 April 3:20PM

Predict the margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's been spending most of his time in the forward half in the twos as I understand it so you'd imagine that's where he'd be seen most of the time should he make it to the final 22. Maybe covering for Taylor in the back half when he drifts forward.

Have a feeling the powers that be might be attracted to the aggression he brings to the table against an opposition who take no prisoners.

I'd prefer someone who can take marks and kick goals, or at the very least use the ball well. The other stuff might impress some fans but isn't going to help us win games.

would like to see him play that position rabbi, put him there and Hawkins FF and have Murdoch, Burbury, Schroder at his feet. Move Varcoe into the midfield and then have Sheringham play off the wing so he can help out at both ends of the ground with plenty of tackling/defensive pressure. Blicavs to play as the sub and Thurlow to replace Mackie at HBF.

They might go in with only Hawkins too. They did that against West Coast and we seemed to do ok.

Check the vid I posted above TC. Big impact.

See this why enjoy the site , we can debate with letting it get personal. Caddy's impact was what? I have not checked the vid so perhaps you can enlighten me... but I do ask what was the score when he came on. The last quarter we lost 12 scores to 2 so hardly a huge impact in the last.

Please let Schroder play - I reckon he is still 50/50 to make it and he is hard at it like Caddy - ideal replacement in my mind. Thurlow in for Mackie - like for like again.

The only question is does Brown come back in and for who ?

If Thurlow, and it is a big if, Thurlow can do a Mackie type job down back - it frees Mackie to play wing - where given his run, decent marking and long kicking would be an asset IMO. Long shot but it would give us so much flexibility.

I'd say that now that we know he was injured after the Adelaide game and played with it for the next two weeks (won't bother pondering why), they want him to get a full VFL game before being available for senior selection. Remember Brown and Walker could still both play reserves this weekend.

If he does, I hope he has his kicking boots on. I can see Monday's game coming down to who makes the most of their chances, and judging by how accurate Hawthorn have been in front of goal thus far this year, we'll need Josh to kick something like 4.1 instead of 1.4 to get over the line.

He has to have 5 shots at goal first.

See this why enjoy the site , we can debate with letting it get personal. Caddy's impact was what? I have not checked the vid so perhaps you can enlighten me... but I do ask what was the score when he came on. The last quarter we lost 12 scores to 2 so hardly a huge impact in the last.
Watch the vid. I'd be surprised if you still think that's not an impact. That we didn't kick goals clear of Hawthorn and ultimately losing was through no fault of his.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch the vid. I'd be surprised if you still think that's not an impact. That we didn't kick goals clear of Hawthorn and ultimately losing was through no fault of his.
If Caddy had come on earlier and Josh Hunt gone off earlier (he gave away at least 3 cheap goals through stuff ups/errors) we would have one that prelim last year and had another flag in our cupboard

If Caddy had come on earlier and Josh Hunt gone off earlier (he gave away at least 3 cheap goals through stuff ups/errors) we would have one that prelim last year and had another flag in our cupboard

more likely we would have the same, and freo would have their first in my opinion.

Wonder if the hawks will employ the same style of play as the PF - attacking with disciplined short passes, rather than moving the ball quickly which is more naturally their style of play.

I feel they need to change their game to beat us (not vice versa), and be able to sustain it for four quarters. Our defense looked rock solid against the eagles and if we bring that discipline to the hawks, I think when the game opens up and their players tire and start blazing away, we will get on top.

Go cats!!

Yep watched , Macca almost said special but not quite.."he's had an influence"... Harley.."Caddy has had a huge impact" ...so I suppose considering its a final it would be up there with a Stokes type Sub. Concede the point.
Sad looking at the video though 15 on the clock when Caddy kicks his goal

And I doubt or perhaps a better way of saying it , I can not imagine Schroder having the same type of impact.

We wouldnt have lost to fremantle twice in a month - and they choked - they should have beaten hawthorn but got nervous and wasted soo many chances

yeah, we may have won... but they are hopeless against hawthorn, whereas geelong dont hold the same fear for them. they almost certainly wouldnt have played like that against us.

anyway, who knows how it would have played out. im certainly not claiming it as a flag won had we only held on against hawthorn. freo were/are a very good side.

yeah, we may have won... but they are hopeless against hawthorn, whereas geelong dont hold the same fear for them. they almost certainly wouldnt have played like that against us.

anyway, who knows how it would have played out. im certainly not claiming it as a flag won had we only held on against hawthorn. freo were/are a very good side.
True - and IMAGINE seeing Ross Lyon claiming a premiership cup and making a speech - ARGH the thought is HORRENDOUS!! :p

True - and IMAGINE seeing Ross Lyon claiming a premiership cup and making a speech - ARGH the thought is HORRENDOUS!! :p

i know im in the minority (probably extreme minority) here, but i would love to see freo win a flag. i have no problem with ross lyon :confused:

See to me its not so much who , but the way we did it. To me its a little bit of Freo mixed in with our natural dna. Can we show we can stop a Hawks team getting scoring shots by having a more influential centre bounce setup. We over cooked the side last year being reliant on turnovers. Now we still are getting the turnovers but can also win centre bounce or at least not get thrashed in them

Agree with the bolded. In percentage terms, last year our last quarters were our worst (501 points for, 489 against, 102.45%). So far this year they're our best (102 points for, 49 against, 208.16%). That suggests to me we're not busting a gut in chasing tail from the start and have more petrol in the tank at the end of games.

AM , excuse me for quoting you then saying that about CE, but you did reference his quote.
Lets me ask you , do you agree with CE's reason for the 4-7 goal need for improvement. Their spread will be too much for us to defensively cover?
I on the other hand have focused more on score denial , they had way too many over the top of us last time. Id agree , If they have 30 they probably will beat us by 4-7 goals
Just being a tad whimsical Turbo. Besides, your post was too convoluted for someone with such a short attention span as little old me.:)

Depending the ages of those involved we really have been gutting heads way back into the 60's. Us beating them in 63. But from personal pain threshold , from the Bruns/Mathews game on it has been a lot of gut wrench pain inflicted be cocky used to winning players and supporters.

Just asking.. what was 08 like for you?

For me it was the day my kid got to see why i have the attitude I have. Add the loss of the 2010 PF and I have one kid that hates the Hawks and one who hates the Pies. Both due to the crowd on the day. I have always tried to educate them that win with grace..winning is enough. But not all are that way. Some love to stick the boots in.
It's a great philosophy to give your children, which they will probably adhere to, except for Hawks + Pies, we can hardly blame them for those!

I can't bear to think about 08, I've never watched a replay, although I have watched '89 again.

Terrible footage, but Rd12 1985 -

I can't bear to think about 08, I've never watched a replay ...

i have. wasnt much fun at all, kept expecting a different outcome.

a week after the PF last year i went out for a lunch with a few guys from uni, and there was a replay on the screens. hard to look away, and again i kept expecting different outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back