Preview AFL Round 5 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Monday 21 April 3:20PM

Predict the margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we still have a terrific program in the VFL, watching them run around last week, there were 2-3 blokes who could easily be playing AFL but can't at the moment due to the form of the current team. The young kids such as Jansen are already learning the Geelong way, not just about gathering possessions and starring but their ability to structure up and play a certain style that the coaching staff implement so they can make the jump to the seniors effortlessly. Like doing an apprenticeship in a sense.

If one of Sheringham, Schroder or Jansen are picked to play, they will know what their role will be immediately from the outset and it's why Caddy's shoes can be filled in the meantime.
No doubting any of that. In terms of output in a big game though, we can't reasonably expect any of those guys to have the impact that Caddy was capable of.

true but I been disappointed in him this year so far and I'm one of his biggest fans but he's failed to impact any game after looking set to have breakout season during the NAB challenges. I thought he'd have a similar game to what Duncan did a fortnight ago against Collingwood but he is probably just another year away before elevating his game to that level.

Basically put, if we get 15 & 1 and hopefully 3-5 tackles from Schroder, it's enough to match what Caddy has done this year.

No doubting any of that. In terms of output in a big game though, we can't reasonably expect any of those guys to have the impact that Caddy was capable of.
Plus the other key players we are missing too.

We have had our twos playing to the same structures as the ones for yonks. Way back to the Tudor/McCartney years. The Hawks operate that way too as do the Swans.

My concern is the Hawks look more experienced, a little more talented and are playing at close to their peak. That said, our all ground pressure has been extremely good this year and it was that crucial aspect of the game that nearly got the Bombers over the line against the Hawks. So, hopefully...........

Echols said:
Do you not going to the footy and hope your boys can win comfortably?

And Partridge responded:

Nope. Never. Dread every minute until the siren to be honest. I enjoy the replays if we win.

I think that there is a misunderstanding here that is probably not helped by the poor grammar of the question. You may need to restate your question more clearly Echols.

Plus the other key players we are missing too.

We have had our twos playing to the same structures as the ones for yonks. Way back to the Tudor/McCartney years. The Hawks operate that way too as do the Swans.

My concern is the Hawks look more experienced, a little more talented and are playing at close to their peak. That said, our all ground pressure has been extremely good this year and it was that crucial aspect of the game that nearly got the Bombers over the line against the Hawks. So, hopefully...........

I think that if we play the "zone off game" they will cut us to ribbons with their precise kicking game. We need to play close and force them into contests and burn them on the turnover. We allowed the Hawks too much room last time to move the ball freely around the ground. Give no room for them to play their style of game. If we don't we are done.

I'm not trying to be a prick or shove it in your faces but come on? It's a little silly having this up considering what happened last game

Anyway, I'm so pumped for this as I always am and yes it's just 4 points but come monday night 1 group of supporters will be ridiculously happy and the other will be fairly upset!

Let's hope both teams put on another showcase of how AFL should be played, both teams play great exciting brands of footy!

1 week to go! ;)
Agree! It is embarrassing, arrogant + cringeworthy! :)

May the best team *cough* Geelong *cough* win! :p :D

Walker named amongst the interchange :)

Hope he plays.

If he does, I hope he has his kicking boots on. I can see Monday's game coming down to who makes the most of their chances, and judging by how accurate Hawthorn have been in front of goal thus far this year, we'll need Josh to kick something like 4.1 instead of 1.4 to get over the line.

Where would he play?
CHF?

would like to see him play that position rabbi, put him there and Hawkins FF and have Murdoch, Burbury, Schroder at his feet. Move Varcoe into the midfield and then have Sheringham play off the wing so he can help out at both ends of the ground with plenty of tackling/defensive pressure. Blicavs to play as the sub and Thurlow to replace Mackie at HBF.

My innate footy pessimism is beginning to kick-in as we get closer to the big game and I see the respective squads. Grudgingly now think you are close to the mark CE.:(

catempire , is very insightful poster , id like to hear more on his thoughts about where we have to improve , to beat them. For mine 7 goals is too broad , so I'd like to hear why he has defined that margin.

For me its like this when comparing previous results.

R1AHawthorn4.8 8.16 14.19 15.211113.2 8.4 10.6 16.7103WM.C.G.6956427-Mar-2009 7:40 PM

R17HHawthorn4.2 6.5 10.6 15.9993.3 8.7 13.10 14.1498WM.C.G.6435625-Jul-2009 2:10 PM

R2AHawthorn4.2 5.9 10.12 14.161006.4 9.9 11.10 13.1391WM.C.G.6862805-Apr-2010 2:10 PM

R15HHawthorn3.3 5.6 8.8 12.13854.4 6.7 8.14 11.1783WM.C.G.6922010-Jul-2010 2:10 PM

R5AHawthorn5.2 6.7 13.10 17.151175.3 8.3 12.6 15.898WM.C.G.7857926-Apr-2011 2:40 PM

R12HHawthorn5.2 10.2 10.6 13.10882.1 9.2 13.5 13.583WM.C.G.6347611-Jun-2011 7:10 PM

QFFHawthorn2.0 7.2 12.6 14.14983.5 4.8 7.12 9.1367WM.C.G.7360109-Sep-2011 7:45 PM

R2HHawthorn4.1 7.3 10.7 14.8923.4 8.6 13.7 13.1290WM.C.G.6923109-Apr-2012 3:10 PM

R19AHawthorn9.3 10.5 14.9 18.101182.0 7.6 11.8 17.14116WM.C.G.6528703-Aug-2012 7:50 PM

R1AHawthorn1.5 5.7 10.12 13.15934.3 8.9 10.10 12.1486WM.C.G.7630001-Apr-2013 3:20 PM

R15HHawthorn5.2 6.8 6.15 11.16822.4 3.8 4.11 10.1272WM.C.G.8519706-Jul-2013 7:40 PM

PFFHawthorn4.0 7.4 14.6 15.7973.5 7.8 10.10 14.18102LM.C.G.8556920-Sep-2013 7:50 PM

Scoring Opportunities

36 to 23
24 to 28
30 to 26
25 to 28
32 to 23
23 to 18
28 to 23
22 to 25
28 to 31
28 to 26
27 to 22
22 to 32

Im sure we can derive what we want to from history and figures , hard ball , soft ball , inside 50's whatever but one fact I do tend to rate is score and scoring opportunities. And when you look at the last 12 matches what I see is close scores for sure , sometime we have had good days ,and others days where they have had more scoring shots than us , but NEVER more than 4 till last years PF. For that matter rarely have we allowed 30 scoring shots with out having close to that ourselves.

In other words to improve on last years PF, we must not allow them to deny us scoring chances while we must cut their scoring chances down by 4 or 5. We must be efficient with our scoring , while continue to be tight in D

So Far this year we have conceded ... 21 , 18 , 21 and 12.. The test will be if this can hold verse the Hawks. I suspect many more Scoring opportunities , they are a class above anyone we have played, but they we concede more shots as well. We must kick straight when we have our chances.

Yeh I reckon the bragging rights are now about square, we had a great streak, they bookended it with two great wins.

How about we just view it as a chance to go top of the ladder after five rounds? Not another in the series with all the Kennet rubbish.
It is proclaimed to be the greatest modern day rivalry! How does that suit? :)

I think that if we play the "zone off game" they will cut us to ribbons with their precise kicking game. We need to play close and force them into contests and burn them on the turnover. We allowed the Hawks too much room last time to move the ball freely around the ground. Give no room for them to play their style of game. If we don't we are done.

Biily Joel said it best….

1-2-3-4 PRESSURE!

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where would he play?
CHF?
He's been spending most of his time in the forward half in the twos as I understand it so you'd imagine that's where he'd be seen most of the time should he make it to the final 22. Maybe covering for Taylor in the back half when he drifts forward.

Have a feeling the powers that be might be attracted to the aggression he brings to the table against an opposition who take no prisoners.

He's been spending most of his time in the forward half in the twos as I understand it so you'd imagine that's where he'd be seen most of the time should he make it to the final 22. Maybe covering for Taylor in the back half when he drifts forward.

Have a feeling the powers that be might be attracted to the aggression he brings to the table against an opposition who take no prisoners.

Yes, I think that he enjoys the physical game and would not be phased by the "unsociable football" style of Hawthorn. AT least I got that impression from last years VFL GF.

How has hat worked out over the history of the games go , Piv? As Chris Scott said the other day..he was Hawks supporter as a kid and remember the rivalry. Its been going a while and to my mind for most it , its been a one way pain street with us reaching for the panadol.
Just as the streak had to come to an end, so must our pain? Surely? Sooner the better!

would like to see him play that position rabbi, put him there and Hawkins FF and have Murdoch, Burbury, Schroder at his feet. Move Varcoe into the midfield and then have Sheringham play off the wing so he can help out at both ends of the ground with plenty of tackling/defensive pressure. Blicavs to play as the sub and Thurlow to replace Mackie at HBF.
That is 4 ins, Walker, Sherringham, Schroder and Thurlow, but at the moment we have only one definite out from last week (Caddy) and possibly Mackie, are you thinking a couple should be dropped?

That is 4 ins, Walker, Sherringham, Schroder and Thurlow, but at the moment we have only one definite out from last week (Caddy) and possibly Mackie, are you thinking a couple should be dropped?

yes you are right.
Blicavs, Mackie, Caddy out for Walker, Thurlow and either one of Sheringham/Schroder, maybe Schroder given his goal kicking ability.

catempire , is very insightful poster , id like to hear more on his thoughts about where we have to improve , to beat them. For mine 7 goals is too broad , so I'd like to hear why he has defined that margin.
We've got a great record against them Turbo, no doubt. Mostly this is because we have been a great side in recent history and even though they have been very good, we have been a bit better.

Does it count for anything now though? Certainly after the Prelim any mental demons have been vanquished. I actually think both sides are playing a better brand of footy now than they were in the Prelim. My assessment - see above, reduced to a Hawk 4-5 goal advantage - is based on my fear that the Hawks' key strength - finding space and using quality disposal to hurt the opposition, is something we don't defend against particularly well. I think we are very good at in-close defensive pressure but I think our zone is slack and easily penetrated when the ball gets out.

I could be wrong, but that's what I see as the key factor in this match.
I'll take my leave then.:rolleyes:
Yeah, just show yourself out will you AM?! :D

Please let Schroder play - I reckon he is still 50/50 to make it and he is hard at it like Caddy - ideal replacement in my mind. Thurlow in for Mackie - like for like again.

The only question is does Brown come back in and for who ?

If Thurlow, and it is a big if, Thurlow can do a Mackie type job down back - it frees Mackie to play wing - where given his run, decent marking and long kicking would be an asset IMO. Long shot but it would give us so much flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back