Preview AFL Round 5 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Monday 21 April 3:20PM

Predict the margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
dumb decisions like kicking the ball out on the full, kicking the ball directly to the opposition or hand balling to the opposition, anything blatantly silly which causes the crowd to yell out "You dirty bludger!".

Hunt's cleaned up that part of his game and is starting to find composure under pressure which is a good sign of maturity. It's to be expected I guess. . . given he's played 70 or so games now.

Almost. He's on 59 now. Getting there. Nice thing is we should have a few players past 50 games by the end of the season (Guthrie, Caddy, Motlop, Christensen and Hunt), and a few others will hopefully be between 20-40 as well.

i also find it bizarre how often people let external views of the media and opposition supporters cloud their own enjoyment... hawthorn could win the next 4 straight, and id still be over the moon to have enjoyed this clubs performance since early last decade. why should another teams success devalue ours?

Because most football discussions descend into genital-measuring contests very quickly. It all inevitably gets to "my team has won more premierships, THEREFORE I WIN. I WIN! I WIN! I WIN!".

Umm.. no offense but please allow me to set you straight there

Shiels is injured, he's our #1 defensive midfielder
Lake won't play despite being named, needs another VFL game after having no preseason or senior games under his belt
Schoenmakers needs more VFL after coming back from an ACL
Whitecross is still recovering from his ACL
Sewell re-injured himself and is a week or two away
Anderson would likely be best 22 but is recovering from a shoulder injury, wont play despite being named
Spangher would be covering for Lake but is injured (Stratton is too slight to fill Brian's job) so we're forced to keep Cheney in the side
Woodward would have certainly played this year but was getting over an ACL and more recently an AC injury

I'm pretty keen to hear how you think the above translates to "full strength"

Come on man, I'm not into Hawks as much as you, but you just named all your injuries as outs. I will give you Sheils and Sewell. Don't know if Lake will miss, so will leave him for now.

Whitecross barely played a game in the last 2 years. As good as naming Menzel for us.
You got Lake because Shoenmakers isn't good enough. If you got say Frawley end of year, Shoenmakers would not get into your senior side, until Lake retires, or you played him forward.
Spangher gets games when you have injuries, but cannot get a game otherwise.
The rest are fringe best 22.

If I did the same for Geelong

Mackie is named but could be an out
Motlop
Caddy
Christenseen
Brown
Vardy
Kersten
Menzel

So we're missing 8 out or best 22 if we do it the way you have. Yet as an opposition supporter, how many would you say are really cats best 22?

Sorry to intrude, but I doubt Lake will play and we have a couple of others who aren't available yet, like yourselves.

Stratton will definitely come in, but we lose Shiels(who was on track for a breakout year), and still have Sewell, Anderson and Schoenmakers making their way back from injury. All 5 would be expected to be vying for a spot in the best 22 when the whips are cracking.

We will be strengthened by Stratton's return but ultimately our defence is still a bit make-shift with Cheney and Duryea both getting games. The latter being quite down on form so far this season, while Cheney has been solid against some bigger opponents.

I've not seen Geelong play this year yet, but have had them as the team to beat since last season. The results alone tell me that they're tracking along ok, even with your own injury concerns.

Of course the media and bigfooty plebs jumped on Freo to be the new flavour after last years GF, but to be frank, I just can't get behind a team that fails to go be able to morph their gameplan or their style within a game, as Geelong and Hawthorn do. Anyway, enough about the purple hype machine.

This should be another classic. I'm hopeful that we can take the points with ease, but entirely expecting that the game will have me frustrated, distressed and edgy as always.

Thanks, your response is more balanced then the last Hawks post that said all you injured players are best 22 and are outs.

You guys like almost irresistible for b2b, if we can't beat you, I doubt anyone will. (Tigers possibly aside next week but they won't make they 8)

Looking forward to this, probably another heart attack pending. Fingers crossed that Mackie will be available and maliciously pleased to hear the Hawks have a few injuries of their own.

Although I hope to see Thurlow in before long his form in the VFL does not yet warrant pushing Sherringham from that spot (probably wearing a red vest as Caddy did last week).

I will be going to this game, finally, leaving the grommit at home, taking the train in and sitting behind the goals somewhere. Some brown fluids should see a definite chest palpitation late in the last quarter, although I would love a big win.

Because most football discussions descend into genital-measuring contests very quickly. It all inevitably gets to "my team has won more premierships, THEREFORE I WIN. I WIN! I WIN! I WIN!".
You missed my point I think, and correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure you will.

My issue is and always has been a too often lack of extrinsic respect for what the Club and team has done over the last 8 years - it's grudging. That's what gets me. On this point it's not about winning for me as much as it's about recognition and respect.

At the moment this year's Hawks are better than us, that's how it is and I'm OK with that. It's the notion that we might get lucky enough to get near the great Hawks that irks, when our lads just keep rolling out 80%+ win ratios year in year out and all those other stats I referred to all those posts ago.

My original comment has been taken off on a large tangent, which is not all that close to where I started. But that's part of the joy of Big Footy isn't it? Trying to remember what your original position was and sticking to it as the debate unfolds.

As always, I have no doubt that this will be an epic match. Past clashes between these two heavyweights have had the footy gods, supporters, players and coaches alike going through a rollercoaster of emotions: from exhilarated to peeved, envious to confident, shit scared to relieved and arrogant to respectful. Of course that's not taking into account the slightly less identifiable thoughts and dwellings, along the lines of idiotic superstitions that I'm sure a lot of us have :D

These games epitomise everything you and I have ever loved about the sport. With constant assurance over the years that no matter what form either side is in, both are still a fighting chance, I have no regrets in saying that we will get much of the same this Easter Monday.

The Hawks are in magnificent shape, and from watching all of their games, I'm loath to say that they are playing absolutely perfect footy. I can't fault them. I've seen my share of high-scoring, entertaining, clean and risky gameplans, and Clarkson has managed to mesh them all into one beautiful and so far successful spectacle for Hawks supporters. Langford has proven to be a more than serviceable tagger for them this year. Their scoring power is unbelievable, with multiple players kicking bags week in week out. I've been particularly impressed by their lethal improvement in defense though, where most of their goals are set up (much like Geelong). While beforehand you may have seen their defenders plodding around in the backline chipping under pressure, they've started to move the ball around with quick and precise handballs...at a speed too fast for almost any team to catch. It's as if they know where their teammates are going to be.

I'll always be generous with praise and respect towards this current Hawthorn side, but they were exposed somewhat against Essendon. I expect the upcoming match to be every bit as tight as that game regardless of their current form. The result of the match may lie upon our forward pressure this time around, but I wonder if it'll be enough to crack the Hawks. They've absolutely sliced us on the rebound in recent times, our saving graces being their woeful kicking for goal...and to our credit, our defence, midfield and now ruck that can match if not better theirs.

Before I preview the Hoops, I need to make my point. Geelong have earnt themselves a handy boost to the start of the season, recording what is probably their most balanced first month since 2007, though they don't seem to be getting any recognition for it in the media or amongst opposition supporters. Perhaps we haven't beaten the best opposition, but it's extremely hard to gauge which teams are legitimate contenders this year. West Coast, North and GWS are all currently in the top 8 and that tells me that
A. This year is going to be significantly weaker than other years

and

B. this definitely isn't going to be what the final ladder will look like.

Taking our opposition out of the equation, I would say that this has been a relatively impressive start to the season.

2014: 4 wins, 0 losses
Avg points for: 101.5
Avg points against: 64.25
Avg winning margin: 37.25

2013: 4 wins, 0 losses
Avg points for: 112
Avg points against: 100
Avg winning margin: 12

2012: 2 wins, 2 losses
Avg points for: 95.5
Avg points against: 97.75
Avg winning margin: -2.25

2011: 4 wins, 0 losses
Avg points for: 85
Avg points against: 55.5
Avg winning margin: 29.5

2010: 3 wins, 1 loss
Avg points for: 125.5
Avg points against: 93.5
Avg winning margin: 32

2009:4 wins, 0 losses
Avg points for: 118
Avg points against: 92.25
Avg winning margin: 25.75

2008:4 wins, 0 losses
Avg points for: 125.75
Avg points against: 80.75
Avg winning margin: 45

2007: 2 wins, 2 losses
Avg points for: 109
Avg points against: 82.5
Avg winning margin: 26.5

Rankings.
Avg points for:
1. 2008 (125.75)
2. 2010 (125.5)
3. 2009 (118)
4. 2013 (112)
5. 2007 (109)
6. 2014 (101.5)
7. 2012 (95.5)
8. 2011 (85)

Avg points against:
1. 2011 (55.5)
2. 2014 (64.25)
3. 2008 (80.75)
4. 2007 (82.5)
5. 2009 (92.25)
6. 2010 (93.5)
7. 2012 (97.75)
8. 2013 (100)

Avg winning margin:
1. 2008 (45)
2. 2014 (37.25)
3. 2010 (32)
4. 2011 (29.5)
5. 2007 (26.5)
6. 2009 (25.75)
7. 2013 (12)
8. 2012 (-2.25)

Adding all the rankings together, that gives us:

1. 2008 (1+3+1=5)
2. 2014 (6+2+2=10)
3. 2010 (2+6+3=11)
4. 2011 (8+1+4=13)
5. 2007 (5+4+5=14)
6. 2009 (3+5+6=14)
7. 2013 (4+8+7=19)
8. 2012 (7+7+8=22)

From this we can conclude that this is the most even and team-rounded start to a season we've had since 2008. Premierships aren't won in April, but my confidence in the club sure is and they've bought me out completely. I hope this goes some way to shutting up those who say we haven't proven ourselves to be flag contenders yet.

Onto the club, I think it's fair to say that we've seen vast improvements to our 2013 side.

Pro: Our defence has tightened significantly and works as good as a unit as they have in years. You'd think that Enright, Mackie and Lonergan would have begun their not-so-graceful descent into old age already a la Scarlett. They've only gotten better.

Con: The Hawks are unpredictable going forward and have a number of midfield options that can kick 2 to 4 goals each. I'm particularly worried about Shiels (won't be playing apparently), Breust and Smith who always manage to find space and go under the radar. They will make you pay.

Pro: Our midfield is practically second to none and the additions of Guthrie, Hmac and Simpson certainly do not hurt.

Con: My only worry is consistency. While Selwood and Stokes almost always deliver, I can't exactly say the same for Johnson, Kelly, Duncan etc. You also have to wonder which young players we will see lift on Monday. On one hand, a Murdoch or Hyphen type could kick 3 goals; on the other hand they could get 5 possessions for the game.

Pro: I've seen a huge rise in our pressure this year. I go out of my way to watch other teams frequently and often times I find that players don't even bother with tackling, chasing, defending their teammates or second efforts. Our increased workrate is yet another reason why I'm so proud to support this club. The fact you can rely on your club to put in 100% every single week is what sells most memberships. Last year we would generally only put in for around a half before getting tired, but somehow this year we look able and determined to run out four quarters.

Con: Hawthorn can match it. This game will be a continuous fight against momentum because both the Cats and Hawks do their most damage in short bursts.

We lost a lot of talent up forward in Chapman and Podsiadly, but you could argue that they barely had an impact last year. Pods had an admirable year, but rarely played in the forward half and Chapman was on the sidelines for the majority of the season. I'm interested to see what sort of impact this has on the match ups.

Key contests:
Taylor vs Roughead (?)
If anything, I think Lonergan should take Roughy. To be perfectly honest, Gunston is an underrated freak of an athlete and will burn off Lonners with shameful ease. Taylor has the runs on the board vs Roughead so I suspect that he'll get matched up on him at the first bounce regardless. Taylor wins this battle.

Lonergan vs Gunston (?)
Gunston should get over the top of Lonergan, and with all due respect,!if he's on him for more than a quarter it could get embarrassing. I love Domsy and he's a champion defender, but Gunston wins this battle. Taylor and Lonergan will probably switch opponents anyway.

Guthrie vs Mitchell
We've finally found ourselves an effective and reliable tagger. I expect Mitchell to get 23-30 largely ineffective touches while he's clipped to the Guthrie leash. Cam reigns.

Johnson vs Langford
Although Langford is promising, Johnson is far too experienced and smart to let a tag affect his game too much (against the Hawks of all teams). I genuinely believe SJ is tactically one of the most knowledgable players in the AFL, and he should come back hard from a somewhat disappointing and wasteful game. Hoping Langford isn't too much of a prick as we need SJ to be playing the week after too, not sitting on the sidelines suspended.

Selwood vs Lewis
I'm confident that Selwood will get this. Pretty self-explanatory, they are just completely different classes. Won't rule out Joel getting reported at some stage though. Lewis is a master at getting under opposition players' skin.

Enright vs Rioli
If there was ever a foreseeable time where Cyril would beat Boris, it would be now. The stats may not show it, but last week was one of the most influential games I've seen Rioli play.

Ceglar/Hale vs Simpson/Hmac
I think they'll break even at the bounces, but around the ground Hale and Ceglar beat our rucks every single day of the week. Hale to bag 3 goals.

Gibson vs Hawkins
The Hawks don't really have anyone suitable to match Toma at this stage. Schoenmakers was starting to get on top, and Lake would certainly help in curving his influence, but I'm not sure if either of them will play. Gibson is most effective on the rebound and probably their most dangerous defender in that regard. If Hawkins can drag him to more marking contests than usual, it will go a long, long way to getting us the win.

The questions that need to be asked.

1. Who will win?
Geelong by 3 points

2. What will the scoreline be?
Hawthorn 14.12.96 def by Geelong 15.9.99

3. When will the first goal be kicked?
Breust or Varcoe, half a minute in.

4. Where will the game be won?
Hawthorn's backline/our forwardline

5. Which players will be BOG?
Geelong: Selwood, Kelly, Taylor, Johnson, Hawkins
Hawthorn: Gunston, Breust, Hill, Hodge, Hale

6. Why have I made these predictions?
Biased and quietly confident, although I try not to think about it too much for the sake of my bladder.

Haven't posted in a while as I've been busy in the offline world, and most likely won't be for a long time yet, but couldn't resist the urge today. It's a Hawthorn-Geelong game we're talking about after all :)

Last edited:
Wish we gave Sheringham the number 35 guernsey. That way, we could get him to shave his head, tell him not to shave for a week and put him on the half forward flank on Monday, and half the Hawks side might be convinced Chappy had never left - looks wise anyway. :p

Great preview and respect shown Catgirl! You make valid points about our team and your team.

Only issue was in the key match ups you had Langford as Langdon, but earlier in the preview you called him Langford so it was just a minor mistake.

Everything else was pretty spot on and just makes me think even more how close this game will be, bring on Monday already!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Wish we gave Sheringham the number 35 guernsey. That way, we could get him to shave his head, tell him not to shave for a week and put him on the half forward flank on Monday, and half the Hawks side might be convinced Chappy had never left - looks wise anyway. :p

Come on now, that's just cruel :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again let's stop including Menzel in these lists... we haven't had him for 2 full seasons and may never see him again.

If he gets back it's a bonus, it really annoys me how he keeps getting mentioned here with the idea he will just come back in and make a difference

Unfortunately I have to agree , he is at the stage now of being gone for good...till he isn't. Think not of what he could do in the past or what he may have added , he is now just another stat in the churn of players. In a way the AFL should allow teams an extra player on the list to cover longer termers like him.

Great preview and respect shown Catgirl! You make valid points about our team and your team.

Only issue was in the key match ups you had Langford as Langdon, but earlier in the preview you called him Langford so it was just a minor mistake.

Everything else was pretty spot on and just makes me think even more how close this game will be, bring on Monday already!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Fixed :D my bad

My innate footy pessimism is beginning to kick-in as we get closer to the big game and I see the respective squads. Grudgingly now think you are close to the mark CE.:(
I was probably feeling particularly pessimistic when I typed that. Having had the week to think about it I still think we are going to get burned on the turnover and by giving Hawthorn too much space, but perhaps the difference is more like 4-5 goals. Caddy out is a real blow though. We needed to be on top in terms of midfield grunt and we lose there whoever his replacement is.

BTW, remember Caddy's Prelim sub effort? :(

Thanks Daz. I have the live app account, so I'll try this as well. Just have to convert the time difference and ensure I'm up for it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
The games are available in replay, quarter by quarter, if you oversleep.

Usually the replay of a quarter becomes available about 30 minutes after the quarter is finished.
Definitely recommend subscribing for a short time. You can watch replays of all AFL games as well as the live stuff - although you should probably go enjoy France ;-)

You doing a Paris tourism visit or something different?

We needed to be on top in terms of midfield grunt and we lose there whoever his replacement is.

BTW, remember Caddy's Prelim sub effort? :(

we still have a terrific program in the VFL, watching them run around last week, there were 2-3 blokes who could easily be playing AFL but can't at the moment due to the form of the current team. The young kids such as Jansen are already learning the Geelong way, not just about gathering possessions and starring but their ability to structure up and play a certain style that the coaching staff implement so they can make the jump to the seniors effortlessly. Like doing an apprenticeship in a sense.

If one of Sheringham, Schroder or Jansen are picked to play, they will know what their role will be immediately from the outset and it's why Caddy's shoes can be filled in the meantime.

we still have a terrific program in the VFL, watching them run around last week, there were 2-3 blokes who could easily be playing AFL but can't at the moment due to the form of the current team. The young kids such as Jansen are already learning the Geelong way, not just about gathering possessions and starring but their ability to structure up and play a certain style that the coaching staff implement so they can make the jump to the seniors effortlessly. Like doing an apprenticeship in a sense.

If one of Sheringham, Schroder or Jansen are picked to play, they will know what their role will be immediately from the outset and it's why Caddy's shoes can be filled in the meantime.
Sounds very similar to the thoughts expressed about the Hawks by Hodge during the week.:)

As always, I have no doubt that this will be an epic match. Past clashes between these two heavyweights have had the footy gods, supporters, players and coaches alike going through a rollercoaster of emotions: from exhilarated to peeved, envious to confident, shit scared to relieved and arrogant to respectful. Of course that's not taking into account the slightly less identifiable thoughts and dwellings, along the lines of idiotic superstitions that I'm sure a lot of us have :D
Great preview!

Hale really worries me, and I am more worried after reading your assessment. If our big men can quell him then I think we nullify a dangerous weapon for Hawthorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back