Can anything be done about Bruce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Arc1

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just wondering. Obviously I didn't enjoy my afternoon today, but thought I'd just pop onto afl.com.au and check the highlights, and it's even worse than just losing, when you have to listen to that campaigner. Does anyone have the impression that Channel 7 actually think he's a good commentator, even though as far as I can tell, every self-respecting footy fan just wants the guy to SHUT THE GODDAM ******* HELL UP. Christ. What an utter knob. And on top of that, because he's the voice-over, generations to come will have to suffer too. The *. Please 7 for love of god.

The worst part is that he isn't even close to being the worst. Sure, he gets a bit homoerotic, but Darcy, BT and Rompingwins just spew absolute drivel that makes me question whether they have a single brain cell between them. I wish they would just call the damn game, rather than go off on their tangents.

Bruce is the worst in AFL, his stats are useless and extremely outdated(for example he will bring up a famous game from the 90's and he acts like that game could defy the result of a current day game) and his voice is irritating, he ruins Dennis's great commentating.

Shits me to tears. But what shits me more is Ling and Harley. FFS - they should never be allowed near a microphone when Geelong are playing.

For example: Collingwood V Geelong a couple of weeks ago. Collingwood's Adams front-bumps Selwood and the point of his shoulder brushes his chin.

Ling couldn't wait to run onto the ground and put Adams in, on national tv. He had him hung drawn and quartered after asking Selwood how his chin was and whether he would be right for next week. I dont like Selwood a great deal but to his credit he embarrassingly tried to fob it off.

Get rid of all three of them and the last two are both walking and talking advertisements for the Geelong FC. They reckon Eddie was bad... You have to be kidding!

The gratuitous abbreviations are really grating now. Very affeminate as well as unnecessary.

"He's good on the sets" (set shots)

"Loosie" (loose man)

"quickie" (quick player)

and so on.
Worst of all today was the "squeezy" - squeezing a kick out of a pack.

He also starts a sentence and then thinks of something else halfway through and just starts talking about that without finishing what he was saying to begin with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least Bruce's quirks are fun to mock. Pretty much everybody on 7 is worse than him, bar Commetti. Really, the standard of AFL commentary is pretty much unacceptable. Just a bunch of faux-blokey matey "banter" when all we want is someone to commentate and analyse the game with some degree of intelligence.

Imagine, you take out Bruce, you might get Rompingwins, BT or BASIL replacing him. Urgh.

I think the term "big boy McEvoy" is underused.

seriously though; the commentating really is at a all time low (in my "watching" career)

BT now has Bruce, Darc and who-ever else is there saying this "big boy" crap.
and why do we have 5 commentators? 2 in the box, and one on the fence.
and how about the carry on with the Hawkins jumper swap!! my god!!!!
(possibly sounding like a whining loser now so i'll stop)

The issue is, we want to watch the footy, so the channel execs will see the ratings and assume that means successful coverage with the commentators they are using!

#BRUCEOUT
#BTOUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back