Toast Fasolo down back

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think ultimately he will be used higher up the field, but no doubt he is developing beautifully down back.

The test will come now as teams do not allow him to play loose. But manning him up leaves Maxwell loose, so we still get a win here.

It's just good to see him on the park, but even better to see him playing well.

Credit again to Buckley. It is one thing to have the idea, but completely another to coach a guy to play a role he is unfamiliar with and make it work.

So far he has turned around the careers of Sinclair, Lumumba and even Reid to some extent. Now he is turning Fasolo into a more complete player. His moves are working.

All those claiming credit need to remember we have had Sinclair Sharenburg Williams and Seedsman all missing in action, not to mention some bloke called Shaw who used to play for us and did ok. Playing him back was by neccessity not by design, because he was a better option than Marty Clarke who played round one and didnt set the world on fire.

That said, I never had any problems with the concept of him going back...as I said a few weeks ago hes a tackling machine and a long accurate kick so getting back into senior footy in defence was always an option.

This.

Fas has shown he can play back, but it is yet to be seen whether that will be his position once we have a more full list of players. It has been our small defenders that have been hit hardest by injury this year.

Will he remain in front of the likes of Sharenberg, Sinclair, Williams, Seeds, etc when they are back and fit? Time will tell, but right now I think that he will return to his forward / midfield role ultimately.

It will be interesting to see if he's played down back when Williams returns.
Is Bucks just trying instil a defensive side to his game before throwing him up forward again?

Fas, Williams, Toovs, Frost, Brown, Keefe and Maxy.
Someone has to miss out or get moved to another position.
Sinclaire will also be putting his hand up for selection soon.
Throw Reid in there if and/or when required and it equates to headaches at the selection table.

I think Bucks has bigger plans for Fas that involve leaving him back in the immediate future. Even when Marley gets back I think Fas will still start back and Marley will start as a sub first and then be used to add grunt to our midfield. Marley in the midfield will be a very interesting beast. For one he is rarely knocked off his feet and he would provide a huge defensive presence as well as being another left sided option in the centre square (the Hawks use this to their advantage a lot). Marley's kicking is not yet AFL proficient but in the midfield he will be able to move the ball on quickly and it won't prove as costly as if he "clangers" one from defence. Fas on the other hand can clear zones and pick out leading targets at will from the back half.

The real beauty of having Fas start in the back half is he can do untold damage from back there and THEN be released if needed to provide some "x-factor" stuff through the middle or up forward if required. He adds tremendous flexibility in the same way that Jimmy Bartel does for the cats. Last weeks game against the Kangas vindicated those of us that saw Fas's potential as a backline distributor. He will no doubt be tested as other clubs put more work into restricting his influence, I really hope the Bombers play Winderlich on him this week but it will probably be Chappy....now that will be a challenge for the young man! Chappy will remind Fas just how valuable possessions are. Chappy is a master of making his possessions count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to see if he's played down back when Williams returns.
Is Bucks just trying instil a defensive side to his game before throwing him up forward again?

Fas, Williams, Toovs, Frost, Brown, Keefe and Maxy.
Someone has to miss out or get moved to another position.
Sinclaire will also be putting his hand up for selection soon.
Throw Reid in there if and/or when required and it equates to headaches at the selection table.

That's the back seven with Maxy being the floater.

Tooves brown Marley
Maxwell
Fas. Keeffe. Frost

I still think ultimately he will be used higher up the field, but no doubt he is developing beautifully down back.

The test will come now as teams do not allow him to play loose. But manning him up leaves Maxwell loose, so we still get a win here.

It's just good to see him on the park, but even better to see him playing well.

Credit again to Buckley. It is one thing to have the idea, but completely another to coach a guy to play a role he is unfamiliar with and make it work.

So far he has turned around the careers of Sinclair, Lumumba and even Reid to some extent. Now he is turning Fasolo into a more complete player. His moves are working.

Please don't forget about the Caff. He was gone a few years ago.

Yeah yeah the points been made already so why youre repeating yourself is a mystery. Karnezis is a forward like Fasolo...i geddit
Suppose you agree that he can't actually be a backman, not having played as a backman - which is nobody's fault, not even Malthouse's - but that he can have the *right* to be a backman.

Last edited:
Toovey, Williams, Fasolo, Frost, Brown, Keeffe could be a fantastic future back 6 when Maxy retires. If Brown can get his body right for a sustained run!

This.

Fas has shown he can play back, but it is yet to be seen whether that will be his position once we have a more full list of players. It has been our small defenders that have been hit hardest by injury this year.

Will he remain in front of the likes of Sharenberg, Sinclair, Williams, Seeds, etc when they are back and fit? Time will tell, but right now I think that he will return to his forward / midfield role ultimately.

Berg can play fwd, mid or back he is not solely a HB, Buckley and Hine both see him as a large mid.

Interesting in Buckley's press conference yesterday that he had Williams, Sinclair and Seedsman pencilled into the defensive positions at the beginning of the year, but due to injuries these spots are been filled by Langdon and Fasolo.

Although Williams and Sinclair are terrific shut down defenders, they don't have very good footskills. They do offer run and carry though. Seedsman is a lock I reckon.

Will be interesting to see whether Williams and Sinclair come in at the expense of a guy like Langdon or Fasolo. What I like about the Langdon and Fasolo is that they have good footskills. Fasolo in particular was very damaging last week.

I think our best back 6 is ultimately:

Williams, Brown, Toovey
Maxwell, Reid, Seedsman

However, Reid will likely play forward which opens up a spot for either Keeffe or Frost. Then Fasolo probably gets named on the bench and plays as the loose defender.

Interesting in Buckley's press conference yesterday that he had Williams, Sinclair and Seedsman pencilled into the defensive positions at the beginning of the year, but due to injuries these spots are been filled by Langdon and Fasolo.

Although Williams and Sinclair are terrific shut down defenders, they don't have very good footskills. They do offer run and carry though. Seedsman is a lock I reckon.

Will be interesting to see whether Williams and Sinclair come in at the expense of a guy like Langdon or Fasolo. What I like about the Langdon and Fasolo is that they have good footskills. Fasolo in particular was very damaging last week.

I think our best back 6 is ultimately:

Williams, Brown, Toovey
Maxwell, Reid, Seedsman

However, Reid will likely play forward which opens up a spot for either Keeffe or Frost. Then Fasolo probably gets named on the bench and plays as the loose defender.
We do seem to have plenty of options now. I disagree Seedsman is a lock. He wasn't last year and has a significant injury delay to this season. Think he will need to find a position now and it is not a given

Fasalo is always a lock to me. Immediately established himself in the 22 after debut and only last years injury saw him out. People forget how good he is. He will play and now looks to have options. In time midfield will be one of them also. I see him with a lot more upside than the Seed who I really like but who still has work to do to become an automatic selection Fas is already there when fit.

Suppose you agree that he can't actually be a backman, not having played as a backman - which is nobody's fault, not even Malthouse's - but that he can have the *right* to be a backman.

From now on Patrick Karnezis wants to be known as "Loretta"

Good to see the kid growing in confidence in this role, putting his body in and taking the game on. Just the one really good game down back so far but very encouraging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back