MVP The Cranium Medal 2014 - Poster of the Month - July nomination thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okay ODN, so here is a question for you.

What Aussie band best encapsulated the 80's? For mine it was Pseudo Echo, they had the look, the sound and whenever I think 80's music they come to mind. Some cracking songs and A Beat For you is still an absolute favourite of mine. Closely followed by Dear Enemy - Computer One and Mi Sex - Computer Games. :thumbsu:

Okay ODN, so here is a question for you.

What Aussie band best encapsulated the 80's? For mine it was Pseudo Echo, they had the look, the sound and whenever I think 80's music they come to mind. Some cracking songs and A Beat For you is still an absolute favourite of mine. Closely followed by Dear Enemy - Computer One and Mi Sex - Computer Games. :thumbsu:

Divinyls, Australian Crawl, Cold Chisel, The Angels. Mental as Anything. They're all swirling around. Divinyls win out though.

On the world stage, not s super group, but Duran Duran probably represented the 80s quite well.

Divinyls, Australian Crawl, Cold Chisel, The Angels. Mental as Anything. They're all swirling around. Divinyls win out though.

On the world stage, not s super group, but Duran Duran probably represented the 80s quite well.

Yeah I agree re the above but what I meant is the acts that truly represented the 80's and had the look and feel. The Angels are my all time favourite Aussie group but they were hardly an 80's looking band. For those that truly love The Angels they will notice the reference to them in my signature! Duran Duran was spot on. Planet Earth was as 80's as it got. So was The Human league - Don't You Want Me.

Yeah I agree re the above but what I meant is the acts that truly represented the 80's and had the look and feel. The Angels are my all time favourite Aussie group but they were hardly an 80's looking band. For those that truly love The Angels they will notice the reference to them in my signature! Duran Duran was spot on. Planet Earth was as 80's as it got. So was The Human league - Don't You Want Me.

See, I don't feel anybody represented the 80s. The 80s can be easily broken up into two halves and feel that certain trends, artists hijacked the 80s but can't claim ownership over them. My 80s was pub rock and the fact that our Aussie pub rockers charted consistently and were promoted heavily. So sad that we cast our eyes on the US charts for our music now, and it is so much harder to Aussie rock to get noticed.

As to the feel and look you speak of though, I think Models are up there with Pseudo Echo. The glam, the posters, the pretty boys.

Boom Crash Opera and Hoodoo Gurus strong too but more pub rock rather than that 80s hypercolour look.

We have to remember the 80s hair bands too. Massive international bands.

80s were such a melting pot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny that a couple of Duran Duran's best songs were from a 90's album (Come Undone & Ordinary World)

The only good Human League was the original Human League. Their first 2 albums were terrific and then......................girls.

See, I don't feel anybody represented the 80s. The 80s can be easily broken up into two halves and feel that certain trends, artists hijacked the 80s but can't claim ownership over them. My 80s was pub rock and the fact that our Aussie pub rockers charted consistently and were promoted heavily. So sad that we cast our eyes on the US charts for our music now, and it is so much harder to Aussie rock to get noticed.

As to the feel and look you speak of though, I think Models are up there with Pseudo Echo. The glam, the posters, the pretty boys.

Boom Crash Opera and Hoodoo Gurus strong too but more pub rock rather than that 80s hypercolour look.

Yep and then the early 90's spawned Roxus, Chocolate Starfish etc.

Another gem from the late 80's was a band called Spy versus Spy. I saw them supporting the Angels a couple of times at the Palace and they went off.

Saw The Models in a small Melbourne warehouse before most knew about them.
Surprised the venue (?) even had power. Bought my beer from someone dealing cans from an esky in the toilets.

Dined with the guys from Pseudo Echo a couple of times.
They certainly missed the 80's. I think a lot of people did.

EDIT: What thread am I in?

This?? I unashamedly love this song! :oops:

It's funny that a couple of Duran Duran's best songs were from a 90's album (Come Undone & Ordinary World)

The only good Human League was the original Human League. Their first 2 albums were terrific and then......................girls.

Save a Prayer was also a ripping Duran Duran song!

Loved what these guys brought along as they mixed New Romantic sounds with Punk (a lot more energetic)
Saw them the best part of 6 times in the 80's

First time was at Festival Hall and they were the support act to Flowers/Icehouse.
Absolutely blown away by the performance and we didn't get through the first song of Flowers/Icehouse before we got up and left.
It was funny as we had people looking at us and asking us as to where we were going.
We saw what we wanted to, knowing nothing else would get close.

Loved what these guys brought along as they mixed New Romantic sounds with Punk (a lot more energetic)
Saw them the best part of 6 times in the 80's

First time was at Festival Hall and they were the support act to Flowers/Icehouse.
Absolutely blown away by the performance and we didn't get through the first song of Flowers/Icehouse before we got up and left.
It was funny as we had people looking at us and asking us as to where we were going.
We saw what we wanted to, knowing nothing else would get close.

Good call and another top band!

I also loved these guys, saw them live a lot and they were one cool band..pardon the pun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back