Brownlow 2023 🏅 Brownlow Medal 🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

JHF and Ashcroft pulled a good number of votes. Gulden and Anderson obviously are in the umpires' sights.

As for Carlton, reputation plays a big part and the umpires just notice Cripps. Cerra had a great season, yet even Hewett polled more votes.

Meh. Collingwood lost MOTY and the Brownlow. Hopefully the Lions make it the trifecta on Saturday.

Brownlow to me seems like a reputation first and media hype job then the umpires follow it .. wasn’t daicos meant to poll a lot 1-10 rounds but didn’t then polls heaps after the media had a hard on for him and Cripps getting that many but someone like cerra gets minimal… not sure there is a better way of doing it.

Crippa obviously gets noticed. Big haul for him again. Fair effort for Charlie to get 17 votes in a midfielders medal. I think the general vibe when he gets the ball makes umps notice him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be getting on Anderson for next year

Love him - obviously - but remember Touk missed a lot of footy this year and almost won last year. If he has a strong preseason he'll steal votes off Noah. Wait and see.

When they're flying though I absolutely agree (without bias) but next year might be a touch early.

Don't mind Aph's duo at all (Neale and Bonts). Butters would be good. Don't count out Cripps despite the form not warranting it. Think he might be up thrre somewhat erroneously in our wins.

Suspect Cerra polls less than expected. Think next year is where he'll get the votes that he deserves. Umpires usually a year late.
Our votes played out pretty much as I thought they would. Charlie getting votes in his big games because it's impossible to ignore, Patrick polling a lot better based on reputation and being the reigning Brownlow medallist and poor Adam getting overlooked and disrespected by the umpires.

The real test for Cez compared to the way that we view him as fans will be the club's best and fairest. Suspect he will go close to winning that.

He will poll better next year, but there's also the potential for Walsh and Cripps to be right up there again and Charlie will get his votes in his big games as well..

Cez isn't the first and won't be the last to have his first major breakout year go massively under the radar in the eyes of the umpires only for them to cotton on in subsequent years.

My last word for the night' if Errol Gulden doesn't win at least one Brownlow in his career then I hope it's not because of injuries. He has a very long. Chris Judd, Robert Harvey, Scott West type polling career ahead of him

I think Cripps polling well is a reflection of the evenness of our side this year. Alot of games where we had no real standout in which case Cripps is the default so long as he is around the mark. Cez deserved more votes but even his best games are rarely blinders so not surprised he was overlooked.

Cripps was top 3 in the coaches votes in 8 games so his brownlow total isn't entirely surprising. Cerra only top 3 in 3 games. Alot of his better games were early when we were losing. Cripps better in our winning run.

Last edited:
Fair effort for Charlie to get 17 votes in a midfielders medal. I think the general vibe when he gets the ball makes umps notice him.

Not sure it's the vibe...

Charlie kicked bags of 5, 6, 9, 10, 6 and 5. Those are big hauls these days and are gonna get you votes (he polled in each of those and no others).

Not sure it's the vibe...

Charlie kicked bags of 5, 6, 9, 10, 6 and 5. Those are big hauls these days and are gonna get you votes (he polled in each of those and no others).

How much did Charlie Cameron kick in the game Neale got 3 votes for 20 disposals in? 7 goals.

A lot of forwards don't get the votes for those bags. Sure, Cameron has that same buzz that Curnow does, but I think the reigning Coleman medallist gets more attention from the umps than others. He deserved the votes, but did well to actually overcome the umpires natural bias.

Really surprised the amount of votes Cripss got, thought Cerra had the better year
I am not. Not saying necessarily deserved, as opposed to some of his team mates, but he is right under the umpires’ noses. The sad fact is that his physical dominance means he pays a “tax” every week. He is judged much more harshly than virtually any other player in the game by umpires. They consistently allow him to be impeded by players with absolutely no focus on the ball, and regularly has multiple players “attending” him. Not watching, having an arm across, or shouldering him, literally hanging off him, holding him, even blatantly pushing or ramming him off the ball from all angles, including blatant in the back “penalties”. He receives way too few free kicks, so they “reward” him with a few Brownlow votes to compensate for not rewarding his presence on the field.

I despise the way the game is adjudicated today. (Yeah, I am an old fart from an era where ball players were rewarded for their skill and effort) Similarly, we have two ball playing forwards who are constantly dealt with at fair one on one contests in very unfair ways. If they happen to get a well deserved free, the chorus starts up “free kick Charlie” to tell the umps they should give a little more leeway to the poor, under siege defenders. Heaven forbid they get sick of the illegal attention going unrewarded, but the second they get frustrated and return serve with a little push or engage back with a responding hold, they are penalised.

I hate seeing strong cored players, including Crippa doing 360, 450, 540 or even 630 degree rotations before disposing if the ball without penalty. The game laments these mounting “dangerous tackles” yet insists on giving excessive opportunity for players to hold the pill, either to find a target of “attempt” a faux disposal despite tenuous prior opportunity already being afforded.

The umpires and by extension, the administrators instructing them are making the game increasingly more frustrating to watch and in many ways, more hazardous to play.

Morning rant over…maybe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back