2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing Boyd and Patton in the same forward line is going to be difficult due to the lack of speed and chase out of the forward line. Neither are aerobic monsters so in modern footy they are going to struggle to play two forwards who aren't going to work up and down the ground fanatically. A comparison to the Franklin/Tippett combination is probably not accurate because Patton and Boyd aren't in their athletic class by any means.

I would jump all over Boyd or Patton with our top pick though. They are both structural monster forwards.
I used to think similar about Patton but this year he's shown a great work rate around the ground, popping up down back, in the ruck and everywhere else. He doesn't have much in the way of speed chasing guys down, but he's got a lot more running in him than expected.

Not sure if this is discussed earlier but on terry Wallace has us picking petracca in his rolling mock top 10 on tac cup future stars today. Said it was the same top 10 as last week.

Didn't discuss the pick in any detail though.

Not sure if this is discussed earlier but on terry Wallace has us picking petracca in his rolling mock top 10 on tac cup future stars today. Said it was the same top 10 as last week.

Didn't discuss the pick in any detail though.

Ah, the "list manager" has spoken has he?

Does he still not rate Sam Mayes?

Yeah he's a bit of a tool but at this stage it's stil the only real expert mock happening.

Order was.
Mccartin, petracca, can't remember, wright.

I watched it. He talked about how much the Saints needed a key forward but had us taking a mid and did not explain why we'd pick Petracca ahead of Wright, they only spoke about how good Petracca was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess would be that Terry rates Hammelmann very highly he brought he's name up today when Sheehan was talking about Academy boys so gave us the inside clearance midfielder with pace

Wallet is probably auditioning for a spot on the Academy Player Value Adjudication Panel.

Wallet probably read a writeup on BigFooty praising Hammelmann.

Some dude who did his own mock draft that I read today rates him top ten. Lets hope they don't look at that.

I'd be reasonably confident that given the number of full and part time staff they have doing recruiting that bigfooty mocks don't rate highly on the research list

When you're "The List Manager" you don't need to back up your work with reasoning.. you're "The List Manager"
I prefer to use his official title, "The List Mangler".
How the hell can anyone rank the top three or four picks when the final reverse ladder order is still very unclear and each team's needs are so different? Especially when that person is …… The List Mangler.

I'd be reasonably confident that given the number of full and part time staff they have doing recruiting that bigfooty mocks don't rate highly on the research list
I've heard some talk some of those that do mock drafts are involved in club recruiting. Id take that with a grain of salt but ya never know. I know if I was a recruiter I would be trying to get as many opinions as possible as everyone has bias towards certain play styles and such

I've heard some talk some of those that do mock drafts are involved in club recruiting. Id take that with a grain of salt but ya never know. I know if I was a recruiter I would be trying to get as many opinions as possible as everyone has bias towards certain play styles and such

I personally don't think that is true.

Hell, I watch a fair bit of junior football and know a couple scouts and a recruiter. We talk about potential draftees as a topic of interest, but at the end of the day, I hardly think they take notice of my opinion when the assess players. They back themselves in, and I think it generally pays off.

Although I do imagine bias towards playing styles would come in somewhere.

The only person I could almost by as a scout/recruiter on here would be Quigley. I don't always agree with a lot of his overall rating of the players, but the amount of work he puts in is second to none.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back