Western Bulldogs v Brisbane - who has the better midfield?

Midfield - Western Bulldogs or Brisbane?

• Western Bulldogs

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 77 51.0%

• Total voters

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
On another thread, a Brisbane poster proposed the Lions midfield is better than that of the Western Bulldogs, and that it's a more suitable debate than Port v Dogs. What do you all think?

Well obviously I think Brisbane's midfield is stronger and we showed that against you guys a few rounds ago when we solidly beat you in the midfield - without Rich or Leuenberger.

IMO our best starting 6 midfield would be Leuenberger, Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Hanley, Zorko. (Some would have Martin as our starting ruckman)

Then we have the group who rotate successfully through the midfield of Mayes, Aish, Green, Taylor, Bewick, Paparone and Beam's rotating through. Excusing Bewick (25 this year) who is probably the least talented in the group, the oldest there is Beams, who turns 23 this year.

Overall though, Berger is the oldest of the group - only turning 26 this year. I'm prepared to say in two years time, we will be in the top 4 best midfields in the comp.

Sorry if I am off at all, but who do the doggies have for their starting 6? Minson, Griffen, Cooney, Libba, Dahlhaus, Macrae?

While that is a promising midfield 6, I'd be taking the younger and higher potential of the Brisbane midfield.

Bewick, the least talented of the group? I wouldn't have picked that, but on the 7 or 8 occasions that I see Brisbane live/on TV each year he seems to play well. I'll defer to your greater knowledge there, I just thought he seemed to be a good player.

I think we're ahead, to be frank. There are already several guns performing well in Griffen, Macrae, Liberatore, young players displaying obvious potential in Bontempelli, Hrovat, Wallis, Smith (knee reco number 2 coming up) and Stevens, with Johannisen, Hunter, Dahlhaus (already racking up 30+ touches on occasion), Honeychurch and Stringer going through. Aside from Griffen and Stevens, all 1st to 4th year players. Boyd still comes in, racks it up and provides leadership and a seasoned body, and Cooney appears cooked but obviously he turns it on from time to time.

While I rate a few of that Brisbane group, I think there's a much higher ceiling among the Dogs group and that they're going to be much more capable of competing with the super-teams in 3-4 years time. Obviously that wasn't on display during the second quarter in Round 12, for whatever reason.

Bewick, the least talented of the group? I wouldn't have picked that, but on the 7 or 8 occasions that I see Brisbane live/on TV each year he seems to play well. I'll defer to your greater knowledge there, I just thought he seemed to be a good player.

I think we're ahead, to be frank. There are already several guns performing well in Griffen, Macrae, Liberatore, young players displaying obvious potential in Bontempelli, Hrovat, Wallis, Smith (knee reco number 2 coming up) and Stevens, with Johannisen, Hunter, Dahlhaus (already racking up 30+ touches on occasion), Honeychurch and Stringer going through. Aside from Griffen and Stevens, all 1st to 4th year players. Boyd still comes in, racks it up and provides leadership and a seasoned body, and Cooney appears cooked but obviously he turns it on from time to time.

While I rate a few of that Brisbane group, I think there's a much higher ceiling among the Dogs group and that they're going to be much more capable of competing with the super-teams in 3-4 years time. Obviously that wasn't on display during the second quarter in Round 12, for whatever reason.

I'd probably agree with Dom PC and say Bewick is probably the least talented of that group. I think both our midfields are going to be in the top 5 mids in a couple of years. We've got Leuenberger/Martin as the rucks, Hanley, Rockliff, Redden, Rich, Aish, Zorko, Taylor, Beams, Mayes, Lester and O'Brien that will all be rotating through there.

Don't get me wrong, I really rate Macrae, Griffen, Libba and Bonts They're on track to be a tiny bit better than our first 4 mids. But I think our midfield depth is where we have you covered.

Will be interesting to come back to this conversation in a couple of years. Don't think there will be much between them.

Fair enough, thanks for the response.

Would love to see what some neutrals have to say.

i cant wait to see what rockliff, rich, redden & hanley can do when they all reach their peak in a few years time. chuck aish, mayes, zorko, beams and taylor in there and we've got a very promising midfield for the future

Pitty he is struggling with injury, he's in the prime years.
It hasn't been a good year for him - carrying a back injury he sustained before Round 1, working his way back in and copping a couple of nasty corkies, and then waking up sick in Cairns when 30 blokes (that have been eating the same food and staying in the same place) wake up fine :(

He was amazing for the last 3 or 4 years, and it's hurt us, not having him at full tilt - particularly when the tagging focus shifts onto Libba or Macrae who still have a bit to learn. He'll be fine though, he's played great footy in patches this year so it's nothing that will dog him long term. By the time some of our young mids are in their prime, I think he might spend a bit of time up forward.

Established players

1. Rockliff
2. Griffen
3. Hanley
4. Redden
5. Boyd
6. Rich
7. Zorko
8. Cooney

youth:

1. Macrae
2. Bontempelli
3. Libba
4. Aish
5. Mayes
6. Dahlhaus
7. Taylor/Hrovat
8. Wallis

Brisbane has the better depth in established midfielders right now and Boyd will retire soon? Bulldogs blow their youth away though IMO. I listed them as how I think they end up roughly ie Dahlhaus is having a better season than Mayes and Aish but I think they end up better players.

Last edited:
Established players

1. Rockliff
2. Griffen
3. Hanley
4. Redden
5. Boyd
6. Rich
7. Zorko
8. Cooney

youth:

1. Macrae
2. Bontempelli
3. Libba
4. Aish
5. Mayes
6. Dahlhaus
7. Taylor/Hrovat
8. Wallis

Brisbane has the better depth in established midfielders right now and Boyd will retire soon? Bulldogs blow their youth away though IMO. I listed them as how I think they end up roughly ie Dahlhaus is having a better season than Mayes and Aish but I think they end up better players.

Isn't redden the same age as libba ?

Looking forward, I think the Dogs have more top end potential. Bontempelli, Macrae and Libba all could all be top 5-10 mids in the comp in a few years. Right now, the Lions are probably a tiny bit ahead in midfield with their depth.

my first 3 picked for both sides are:
1. Rockliff 1.Griffen My order: 1. Griffen 2. Rockliff 3. Libba 4. Rich 5. Redden 6. Wallis
2. Rich 2. Libba
3. Redden 3. Wallis

I think the dogs would be happier with their first 2 but the Lions first 3 picked are more even. I could've gone Boyd but i personally think Wallis impact in stoppages and ability to beat his direct opponent puts him ahead.

the future:

1. Aish 1. Bonts
2. Mayes 2. Macrae My order: 1. Bonts 2. Macrae 3. Aish 4. Mayes 5. Taylor 6. Hrovat
3. Taylor 3. Hrovat

I think it's similar again, the dogs players probably have more upside but there's an evenness to love about the Lions.

for versatility and rotations:

1. Zorko 1. Dahlhaus 1. Dahlhaus 2. Zorko 3. Hanley 4. Beams 5. Hunter 6. Stevens
2. Hanley 2. Hunter
3. Beams 3. Stevens

I think Brisbane wins this handsomely. I love all 3 of their players whereas Dahl is our only consistent performer currently. Hunter is crazy talented and Stevens provides some run, size and marking but not as talented with the footy as the lions players.

NB i left out Smith because he's miles away from getting back, Boyd because he's old and Cooney didn't make the cut.

Also notable is that the lions have an awesome ruck that should bring a lot for many years

Well obviously I think Brisbane's midfield is stronger and we showed that against you guys a few rounds ago when we solidly beat you in the midfield - without Rich or Leuenberger.

IMO our best starting 6 midfield would be Leuenberger, Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Hanley, Zorko. (Some would have Martin as our starting ruckman)

Then we have the group who rotate successfully through the midfield of Mayes, Aish, Green, Taylor, Bewick, Paparone and Beam's rotating through. Excusing Bewick (25 this year) who is probably the least talented in the group, the oldest there is Beams, who turns 23 this year.

Overall though, Berger is the oldest of the group - only turning 26 this year. I'm prepared to say in two years time, we will be in the top 4 best midfields in the comp.

Sorry if I am off at all, but who do the doggies have for their starting 6? Minson, Griffen, Cooney, Libba, Dahlhaus, Macrae?

While that is a promising midfield 6, I'd be taking the younger and higher potential of the Brisbane midfield.
of course that means that we have a better midfield than Gold Coast because we beat them recently and because they beat you we're also better than you. Am i doing it right? silly logic.

I think the key is in the youth. Bonts and Macrae are absolutely flying and would both be generally considered ahead of their same draft counterparts Aish and Mayes currently. While Taylor's looking special he's not got too much on Hrovat. Both sides seem to be able to put plenty of rotations through which is a key to success.

of course that means that we have a better midfield than Gold Coast because we beat them recently and because they beat you we're also better than you. Am i doing it right? silly logic.

I think the key is in the youth. Bonts and Macrae are absolutely flying and would both be generally considered ahead of their same draft counterparts Aish and Mayes currently. While Taylor's looking special he's not got too much on Hrovat. Both sides seem to be able to put plenty of rotations through which is a key to success.
While I agree with most of your comments, I think you are taking my comment to the extreme rather than what its intended purpose was. The context of the comment was purely a head to head reference, that is all.

Both have great young midfields, the dogs have higher end talent/prospects though imho, I'd take Bonti, Macrae and Hrovrat ahead of Aish, Mayes and Taylor. Then you have the "older" guys (none of them are exactly old besides Griffen) in Griffen, Libba and Wallis vs Rocky, Redden and Rich if i was given the chance to take a set I'd take the Bulldogs three. Then you have rotational players in Hanley, Zorko and Beams vs Dahlhaus, Cooney and Hunter which right now Brisbane would be ahead. Didn't bother including guys like Stringer who may/may not transition into a full time mid. Didn't bother including Stevens, Boyd or Smith either for the dogs.

In conclusion the Dogs for me, I think we have a better midfield currently and while both have good prospects ours are slightly better, although I reckon Brisbane might get Petracca in the draft which could make it a really interesting discussion next year.

Would have to be happy whether you're a Brisbane or Dogs supporter as both teams along with Port probably have the best three future midfields (excluding GC and GWS).

Last edited:
I Would take Rockliff, Rich, Hanley, Redden, Aish, Taylor Over Griffen, Cooney, Libretore, Bontempelli, Wallis and MaCrae

Cooney is cooked, would be replacing him with Hrovrat and if you're going to include Hanley who is a rotating mid its only fair to include Dahlhaus who is also a rotating mid.

Back