Opinion Most memorable experiences (good & bad) at VFL/AFL grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

I still ask myself who was the hero in the 09 GF? Scarlett for his deft toe-poke that ultimately resulted in THE goal, or Chapman for slotting THE goal. Scarlett for me as it broke a tension filled deadlock and looked so good.

I'd throw in Rookes very good sense to follow up an errant kick and soccer a point. Sealed it up.

Last edited:
I'd throw in Rookes very good sense to follow up an errant kick a soccer a point. Sealed it up.
Forgot about that!! Ahh, I think I'll have a nice red wine tonight and remember 2009

I still ask myself who was the hero in the 09 GF? Scarlett for his deft toe-poke that ultimately resulted in THE goal, or Chapman for slotting THE goal. Scarlett for me as it broke a tension filled deadlock and looked so good.
VARCOE for the lightning quick handpass to Chappy, of course.

This one of mine is a little obscure but if it has stuck in my mind all this time it's probable worth mentioning,the year1967 or there about,Geelong HFFer the boy from Tooleybuc John Sharrock is under the pump all week in the press for well maybe hearing the odd foot step and Essendon HBFer the Kookaburra Alic Epis spends the week telling all and sundry exactly what he will do to Sharrock Saturday at Kardinia Park.Come 2 oclock game day the Tooleybuc kid played IMO the best first quarter of HF football I have ever witnessed Kicking 3 goal and seeing Epis off before quarter time.Loved it.

One memorable match for me was rd 15, 2002, GEE v COLL, at the MCG.

I've seen bigger and more important games there - 89 PF against ESS, Ablett's decimation of RICH the same year. But by 2002 I'd kinda floated off the football radar a little - stint living o/s largely responsible for that. Anyhow, I was down in Melbourne for the weekend and went along to the GEE V COLL game. I knew we were re-building with youth, but it was the first time I watched a group of players that would become future stars closely. Was amazed even then at how young the team we were fielding appeared to be.

A slow red-head negated Buckley - i'd assume in career best form at that time - while picking up 20 touches himself. An incredibly unlikely and physically under-developed looking footballer by the name of Johnson kicked a lazy four. Particularly liked the look of young Enright who probably had 30 possessions playing midfield (at least that is how I remember it), and Chapman and Mooney looked very promising too. I knew the club was just starting to recover from off-field problems/debt, but you could catch a scent that something was starting to boil on field.

We won the game, against a team that would play the GF that year.

Kudos to Bomber Thompson. He really did a great job developing young players into champions.

As a kid, i wasn't able to go to many Cats' games- but listened very intently to 3GL broadcasts every week on the wireless or trans ;) (lol- BF just changed 'trann-y' to 'trans woman' :D)

When my older sister was old enough, she took me to a couple of Cats' games at home- not that I remember anything about the games at all, I was just so excited about being there! But I do remember an old lady who sat over near the players' benches on the boundary and, if she didn't like someone (i.e. opposition supporters), she would give them a poke with her umbrella. I swear I probably watched more of her than the game- she was hilarious!

Then again, as a youngster, my sister took me to a game at Windy Hill- it poured with rain and everyone had their umbrellas out so, of course, I couldn't see anything (being only about 4' nothing!) so I amused myself by dripping rain off my umbrella down the necks of the people who had their umbrellas up in front of me, obscuring my view. If anyone here came home soaked down the back of the neck that day, I apologise.... but I did try and aim for Bombers supporters.

And another memory- this isn't VFL but it is VFL-related- I was at the game when John Scarlett had his eye gouged, playing in the VFA. I had no idea of the extent of his injury at the time but do recall hearing afterward that he had hours of microsurgery to repair a torn tear duct. I think we played Coburg that day- in a GF, from memory (but it's very very hazy) :(

Bartel for shutting down Lenny.

And another memory- this isn't VFL but it is VFL-related- I was at the game when John Scarlett had his eye gouged, playing in the VFA. I had no idea of the extent of his injury at the time but do recall hearing afterward that he had hours of microsurgery to repair a torn tear duct. I think we played Coburg that day- in a GF, from memory (but it's very very hazy) :(

The 1980 Geelong West v Coburg semi final may be the game you watched?

J. Scarlett's VFL career finished in 79 at South Melbourne, but I know it was common for players at that time to go to the VFA after their VFL career was shot. So if he went to Geelong West after that (which he clearly did as you watched him play with them), then this may be the game you are referring to:

Where to start? I'll keep mine to last millennium, as others no doubt have seen all and more what I have seen since 2000.

Hanging around KP during preseason, PERHAPS the last session. Sam Newman's second last season, first appearance for the whole pre-season! , arrives tanned, taut, trim, TERRIFIC. Marked everything in sight, beautiful drop kicks and drop punts, a class act, teammates in absolute awe. The master of "management", spent all summer surfing and swimming, protecting his dodgy ankles, had a great season at CHF that year.

Queueing up for finals tickets at KP, staying the night, wet, cold, not fun, and we got smashed by Richmond. Yep kids, that was ages ago, Geelong getting done by Tigers, and in a final. Back then, THEY were the awesome team.

Selling footy records at KP, missing at least the first/2 of the game, having enough tips to buy a CHICKO ROLL, which was not hot after 1/2 time. Bad memory.

The Brian Peake game; we were absolutely brilliant. Smashed NM. A young 'Sam Newman" aka Steve Reynoldson, came on in the last /Q, and kicked some beautiful goals, and we all thought 'THIS IS OUR YEAR". Alas, not to be.

My memories of going to the Melbourne based grounds, Windy Hill, Victoria Park, Princes Park etc etc back in the 70's and 60's was "high"lighted by not being able to see a thing, no seats, a really dismal day, and my dad was unable to assist at all. And then a long drive back home to Geelong once we eventually found our car in the dark. Just to add to that, one trip back we decided to go by train, and the Red Rattler on this particular Saturday night got derailed, and we got home really late. Suffice to say, that was our last trip that way.

One last bizarre memory was a Geelong NM game at Geelong, where the drive down should have alerted us to the peril of this game, absolute downpouring all the way down, floods, non-stop rain during the game, freezing conditions, we left at 1/2 time and this time I did not listen to my daughter.
The drive home was abysmal, many were diverted to Bacchus Marsh, we got home at 11 pm. The kids have never forgotten that game, but don't know how much we got beaten by.

Last edited:
The 1980 Geelong West v Coburg semi final may be the game you watched?

J. Scarlett's VFL career finished in 79 at South Melbourne, but I know it was common for players at that time to go to the VFA after their VFL career was shot. So if he went to Geelong West after that (which he clearly did as you watched him play with them), then this may be the game you are referring to:
Thanks NB. I probably could ask my sister which game it was. For years I thought it was Port Melb (so hated them for about 25 years!) but, a few years ago, I read something about Scarlett doing his eye against Coburg.... My sister is a few years older than I am, and has a terrific memory, so would be sure to remember where the game was- I'm pretty sure it wasn't in Geelong.

Thanks for the video, too- some great memories just listening to the names (pity the commentators didn't know most of them!) ;) Stephen Wells, Joe Radojevic, Ricky Browne and his brother, Mark, David Manson, Terry Bright, Tony Gilmore, Glenn Middlemiss ( I remember him getting KOed and being pronounced dead at the ground (swallowed his tongue as well?) but, amazingly, recovered. He was clinically dead for a short period of time but received CPR, etc. and recovered. That was in the mid to late 70s, IIRC)... a few of these players actually played for Geelong after they'd played for Geelong West.

Above is very VFA. Seems a pretty wild league. Thank goodness he was resurrected!
I remember playing against him in a Little League game, and thought he was the best player we'd ever seen, one of THOSE kids, totally dominant. Wasn't surprised he'd make it in VFL, yet he was no longer so awesome; in fact, as a KF, his surname was very apt, though he wasn't as off-radar as Peter Johnson.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at a game at KP where Gary Snr was lining up for his 100th goal against the Swans.

He was right out in front so we all streamed over the fence, down near where the fence was between the outer and the reserved seating area.

As Ablett began his run in routone in I belted past Tony Lockett, who was cursing all the fans on the field. He was a mountain compared to my 11 year old self - absolutely fearsome. From memory Paul Brown had lined up on him, tall and thin.

As I reached the edge of the defensive 50, Ablett out boot to ball and it looked good...then faded.

"Gary Ablett has kicked a point" the voice over the PA said "I repeat, Gary Ablett has kicked a point.

So, back over the fence into the outer again.

It wasn't long before he was lining up again (I reckon he kicked 7 that day) and soon enough we'd all crowded around him. And there he was in the middle of it all, seemingly wanting to shrink away from the spotlight more than anything.

I s'pose that's how it is in a one horse footy town, but I'll never forget it.

I remember playing against him in a Little League game, and thought he was the best player we'd ever seen, one of THOSE kids, totally dominant. Wasn't surprised he'd make it in VFL, yet he was no longer so awesome; in fact, as a KF, his surname was very apt, though he wasn't as off-radar as Peter Johnson.

Ha, Middlemiss or Bright? I'm assuming you are referring to Middlemiss...... Middling and missing.

Will never forget a game against St.Kilda back in 1989 at Kardinia Park. We were sitting in the Brownlow Stand about 4-5 rows from the fence. Gazza was playing on the wing that day, and at one stage he went to shepherd for a teammate, and lined up Winmar and hit him with a brutal hip and shoulder. The hit was so hard, Winmar did a full cartwheel in the air before landing in a heap. Was one of the best bumps you'd ever see.

Will never forget a game against St.Kilda back in 1989 at Kardinia Park. We were sitting in the Brownlow Stand about 4-5 rows from the fence. Gazza was playing on the wing that day, and at one stage he went to shepherd for a teammate, and lined up Winmar and hit him with a brutal hip and shoulder. The hit was so hard, Winmar did a full cartwheel in the air before landing in a heap. Was one of the best bumps you'd ever see.
How many weeks would it get in 2014? ;)

:hearts:

How many weeks would it get in 2014? ;)

If a Geelong player did it - 3 weeks. Anyone else, just a reprimand. Someone else on a Geelong player - not even cited. ;)

I remember playing against him in a Little League game, ...

Hey Grandad, we must be of the same era. I used to play against Terry Bright (remember he's Goggin's nephew?) in the GWest Little League, and in '68 or '69 with him in the combined side that played half time at Kardinia Park. Awesome experience. I missed running out for the grand final against Richmond at the MCG when a fence picket at the West Cemetry went into my hamstring a week before. Bah!
'76? Radojovic came across to St Peters for a coupla seasons (Kev Hannan/Greg Welsh era) but me being in the Navy I didn't get home for many games those seasons.
I remember going to the Swans first SCG games in '82. I was at NSW Uni. One of the matches was against Geelong, I think the other might have been Carlton. I remember being at the ground twice. Anyway, the reason I remember it is because I marked TWO of those little promotional footballs the Swans players kicked out before the start of the game - I got one at each game! The first time was clean hands. The second match I took it on my chest and was mugged by twenty people running down on top of me. Dirty, dirty Sydneyites!

Last edited:
One last bizarre memory was a Geelong NM game at Geelong, where the drive down should have alerted us to the peril of this game, absolute downpouring all the way down, floods, non-stop rain during the game, freezing conditions, we left at 1/2 time and this time I did not listen to my daughter.
The drive home was abysmal, many were diverted to Bacchus Marsh, we got home at 11 pm. The kids have never forgotten that game, but don't know how much we got beaten by.

That was the game Stew mentioned above.
Torrential rain.
You left at the wrong time. North didn't score after half time and we kicked 8 straight. We smashed them.

Missed the middle from close in a few times too many.
Middlemiss was one of those players that looked like he could be anything but never delivered.
I have a vague memory that he kicked a heap at the lake side oval one day. I'll go look.

Hmmm. Nope. I made that up.
In successive weeks he kicked 3.1 at Windy hill. 7.1 at home. 4.3 at Vic park.
Maybe it's the Vic park game I remember. 6 marks, 8 kicks, 7 scoring shots. The other kick probably went out of bounds :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back