K Hunt confirms his departure from the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Karmichael and Falou were probably more marketing stunts than long term players, in that sense they probably filled their roles generating interest and discussion for AFL in QLD and NSW, apart from that though this will probably put an end to these sort of code cross overs.

I still think he could have been a good player, and was played in the wrong position

The few stints he got in the middle or up forward, he was pretty good
Unfortunately, he spent a lot of time in defence, with the coaches trying to make him into a Campbell brown type, and it was detrimental to his development

Both Karmichael and Falou were probably more marketing stunts than long term players, in that sense they probably filled their roles generating interest and discussion for AFL in QLD and NSW, apart from that though this will probably put an end to these sort of code cross overs.

You are probably right. They where brought into to get the Attention of Ruby and Union fans.

Though Hunt’s Markabllirty went down when the Suns got Ablett

Much respect for having a go. Despite the dollars on offer the fear of failure would be prominent in any professional sportsmans mind. Some have healthy egos and it appears campaigner was prepared to put his in check to have a crack.

And that goal aganst the tigers was living the dream if only for a moment.

Have massive respect for Karmichael. Yes, the main reason he came across was for the money, but you could tell he worked hard and really wanted to succeed and become the best AFL player he could, unlike Izzy. Seems like a really nice, down-to-earth guy as well, so all the best.

It was still a successful endeavour by the AFL with the marketing it provided in the northern states.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think it's a stupid stunt and a waste of money, but on a personal level admire him for keeping his word and sticking out his contract - writing was on the wall ages ago and must have been tempting for him to go back to league.

I live in Sydney and work in Western Sydney. Falou and Hunt got people out in the west talking about aussie rules, alot.

Objective achieved.

I think it was a succesful venture.
Clearly the reason he was brought in was for promotion - and I would say that on that side of things it probably worked very well. (If there are long term gains from it - we will have to wait and see).
On field, I also think he was a success. Not a great player, but for someone to jump across at that age and still reach 44 career games is a good outcome. Whenever I saw him play, he looked like someone who was genuinely interested in getting better at the game, and was putting his body on the line to do what was right by his team and teamates - and seemed to get on well with his teammates.

(And I will be the first to put my hand up to say, when they started - I always thought Folau would end up being the better AFL footballer... clearly I was wrong - and the difference in how they went says alot about Hunt's approach to the switch - that he wasn't just in it for the money, but actually wanted to give it his best effort)

I live in Sydney and work in Western Sydney. Falou and Hunt got people out in the west talking about aussie rules, alot.

Objective achieved.

I don't live in NSW/QLD, and don't follow Union/League - but just from a watching shows like WWOS (or whatever it's called now), or flicking on to the NRL's footy show by accident... the Rugby guys were still putting quite a bit of time into following how these guys were going in the AFL... that's a pretty succesful outcome.

You are probably right. They where brought into to get the Attention of Ruby and Union fans.

Though Hunt’s Markabllirty went down when the Suns got Ablett
Maybe to Victorians. It's no secret K got by far the biggest cheers of the two in Queensland and was always the main attraction at school visits / promos etc.

Great achievement to switch to such a different game and get to being at least fairly useful.
168357_120714karmichael_hunt.jpg

And to kick a winning goal after the siren is every kids dream.

Put his reputation on the line in a huge way to help grow a new sport and a new league on the Gold Coast. Put in the work required, provided a great role model for the young players to look up to, and gained a lot of new fans on the process. Well played Karmichael. All the best for the future.

Not confirmed which code he will go to yet.
Possibly GAA in Ireland..
I still think he could have been a good player, and was played in the wrong position

The few stints he got in the middle or up forward, he was pretty good
Unfortunately, he spent a lot of time in defence, with the coaches trying to make him into a Campbell brown type, and it was detrimental to his development
Hunt makes Jordan Russell look like Yarran or Birchall.

Waste of Hunt's best years as a NRL and Union star. Wasn't built for the game like Hanley, Tuohy and Sheahan. Doesn't have the kicking skills and awareness to play a game where players come at you from 360 degrees.

AFL ponying up big dollars for spuds whilst existing clubs can't even make ends meet without the luxury tax. Groundbreaking thinking that had VFL finals crowds at games. Bigger "rort" than taxpayer funding state of the art facilities before clubs head off to Utah or the UAE for pre-season training. AFL in the 21st century.

Appreciated how he played footy and took on new challenges, even if he was on ridiculous coin.

Well done K, you got the rugby league heathens talking (and frothing at the mouth), you helped set up a brand new AFL club which from personal experience should be a fantastic success (seriously, go up and check out Metricon, it's brilliant), and you saw out your contract.

Now, who can we target next? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back