K Hunt confirms his departure from the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I live in Sydney and work in Western Sydney. Falou and Hunt got people out in the west talking about aussie rules, alot.

Objective achieved.

I do too, plus teach in western sydney and play footy in Southern sydney. Can't disagree with this enough.

Possibly GAA in Ireland..

Hunt makes Jordan Russell look like Yarran or Birchall.

Waste of Hunt's best years as a NRL and Union star. Wasn't built for the game like Hanley, Tuohy and Sheahan. Doesn't have the kicking skills and awareness to play a game where players come at you from 360 degrees.

AFL ponying up big dollars for spuds whilst existing clubs can't even make ends meet without the luxury tax. Groundbreaking thinking that had VFL finals crowds at games. Bigger "rort" than taxpayer funding state of the art facilities before clubs head off to Utah or the UAE for pre-season training. AFL in the 21st century.

Great post. I cannot believe people suggesting this was a success. It was an epic fail, and all him leaving means to me is Gold Coast have decided to become a football club rather than a circus event. The AFL did this simply to thumb their nose at the NRL and assume a show of strength. That fooled nobody. They also thought crowds would flock in to see him play ... that didn't happen either.

Can you imagine what they could have done with $1 million per year? They could have taken someone like Franklin, matched him up with Ablett and really given the fans something to turn up for. Plus, they'd also be a lot closer to being a very good team than they are right now. As usual, the AFL have stuffed up.

What a gaping hole in the world of artificial football Hunt's departure will leave.

Great post. I cannot believe people suggesting this was a success. It was an epic fail, and all him leaving means to me is Gold Coast have decided to become a football club rather than a circus event. The AFL did this simply to thumb their nose at the NRL and assume a show of strength. That fooled nobody. They also thought crowds would flock in to see him play ... that didn't happen either.

Can you imagine what they could have done with $1 million per year? They could have taken someone like Franklin, matched him up with Ablett and really given the fans something to turn up for. Plus, they'd also be a lot closer to being a very good team than they are right now. As usual, the AFL have stuffed up.

What a gaping hole in the world of artificial football Hunt's departure will leave.
You realise the Suns weren't paying Karmichael $1M a year right? And nobody on the GC would've known or given a stuff who Lance Franklin was. The name Karmichael Hunt got them talking.

I do too, plus teach in western sydney and play footy in Southern sydney. Can't disagree with this enough.

I can only speak of the 180 odd in my employ. Falou and Hunt certainly had them yapping.

Don't have a problem with it. He gave it a fair crack with the intention to get the best out of himselve and make a career out of it, so fair play to him (unlike that cash grabbing Falou). He achieved what young kids growing up to play AFL dream of by kicking a goal after the siren to win a game to boot which would have been a highlight for him. Was on an insane amount of money for someone who hadn't played the game before but as a marketing tool i hope the AFL got the most out of that side of it. All the best to him.

You realise the Suns weren't paying Karmichael $1M a year right? And nobody on the GC would've known or given a stuff who Lance Franklin was. The name Karmichael Hunt got them talking.

I'm sure he / she does but he is a serial K hater so why let the facts get in the way of his poor argument. Probably thinks that K to the Suns was aimed at attracting Hawks supporters from Adelaide to the game as well.

Wasn't part of the grand rationale behind hunt and izzy to attract Polynesians to the game? Probably a bit early to judge on that front.

From a marketing respect it was a bona fide success, I'll grant that. But from a strictly football perspective it was an indisputable failure, I don't know how anyone could deny it with a straight a face. The guy did reasonably well considering he had no football background but at the end of the day his talent was VFL standard at best. He just simply was not good enough for AFL level footy or else he would be playing on, and thus no more or less a failure than Folau was.

He might have persuaded a number of kids in northern states to respect and take notice of the AFL & Australian Rules Football.

I think the investment was worth it and a genuine attempt from Hunt to give AFL a fair dinkum go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the point of putting teams in Rugby heartland without getting players like Hunt to make that team relevant to the people in that area? Well done Hunt, you played 44 more games of AFL than a lot of those in this thread, and you kicked a goal after the siren with was and is the dream of many. Congrats on your career.

His first contract was marketing based and outrageous money... if he renewed it would have to be merit based, and probably a fraction of the $$. He can make more money in bumsniff now and not have to carry the same fitness & skinfolds that AFL demands, so... bye bye aussie rules, hello pizza.

I thought the whole concept was good at the time, and he did a decent job of it. WDK

Special_K.jpg

It was good to try

It was about promoting the code ....in the area

Did it achieve that ...hmmm not sure but it didn't hurt

Good luck karmichael

One amazing moment to show for four years which proved he really couldn't play, despite joining the AFL in his physical prime. A lot of money down the toilet.

Good luck in the future K.Hunt.
If ever 2 blokes could be picked in Australia to start a football club - G.Ablett and K.Hunt.
Could not find 2 more modest and humble characters, setting a great example for the GC kids.
People like K.Hunt set the foundations for many years to come.
The starting of new clubs isn't just about football, it is about people - and K.Hunt you were an inspiration.
Good luck back at Rugby my friend.
- I am Jack.

K in his Suns gear on the back page of todays Courier Mail, on the inside the quotes about how hard and skilled the game is and that if his body let him he would of stayed.

How much is that coverage worth? The guy has paid for him self 10 times over.
Quotes like that coming from him silence a lot of League nuffies who believe AFL is a wank soft sport. Gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back