Game Day Semi Final - Freo v Port Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a last minute call up to go out but the night fizzed out early and got home just in time to see Robbie Gray get a double dip at goal and nail the second chance. From there it was about the most gratifying half hour of footy I have watched all year. And Ross Lyon footy once again comes up short against Geelong footy, that is fast, brave, attacking footy, taken from the Cattery by Kenny H and applied to just about the most exciting group of youngsters assembled in a team you could imagine. All those who think that the franchise teams will dominate the era that is dawning with waning of the great Geelong and Hawthorn teams of late have another think coming.

As for old Numbers Back Lyon, well, the flaw in his plan is that really good teams will not be kept to ten goals in a final. And thank God for that.

Hawthorn are no certainties next week because Port have absolutely nothing to lose.

What a load of rubbish that Lyon's football can't win a GF ... His GFs have been that close that it's only a matter of luck whether you win or lose ... That balls sits up for Milney ... Scarlett's toe-poke ... Freo were the better team last year IMO.... I don't know why people still have a problem with the way he's coaching. Their performance against the Swans in last year's Prelim was one of the best and most exciting performances I've ever seen. Incredible pressure. Was amazing ... Very unlucky with injuries this finals series... I actually think he's the best coach in the comp.

What a load of rubbish that Lyon's football can't win a GF ... His GFs have been that close that it's only a matter of luck whether you win or lose ... That balls sits up for Milney ... Scarlett's toe-poke ... Freo were the better team last year IMO.... I don't know why people still have a problem with the way he's coaching. Their performance against the Swans in last year's Prelim was one of the best and most exciting performances I've ever seen. Incredible pressure. Was amazing ... Very unlucky with injuries this finals series... I actually think he's the best coach in the comp.
Bottom line is that he has not won a grand final in four attempts. Mick Malthouse is fond of saying that you can put it down to bad luck once but more than that means something is wrong. I agree with him.

You can't put losses down to things like toe pokes and the mythical Milne errant bounce. They are the product of the combined total of every second of the game.

Best coach in the business? Clarko has two premierships and looking good for a third. Bomber has two. Horse one and challenging for a second. Chris Scott has one, Malthouse has three.

And Ken Hinkley took him down last night at his fortress.

Bottom line is that he has not won a grand final in four attempts. Mick Malthouse is fond of saying that you can put it down to bad luck once but more than that means something is wrong. I agree with him.

You can't put losses down to things like toe pokes and the mythical Milne errant bounce. They are the product of the combined total of every second of the game.

Best coach in the business? Clarko has two premierships and looking good for a third. Bomber has two. Horse one and challenging for a second. Chris Scott has one, Malthouse has three.

And Ken Hinkley took him down last night at his fortress.

"Bottom line ..." pretty simplistic and easy argument to make. I can't win that argument, but I look beyond it. I was only using those incidents as individual examples, not as the specific moments of luck that cost them. It is obviously a bit of luck when the game is that close. To blame Ross Lyon is ridiculous.

He's also never had the list that the other coaches have had. Saints had plenty of guns, but they also had a decent number of ordinary players. He has had a better list at the Dockers but still not as strong as the others, esp with the injuries. Also, he can't be blamed for the missed opportunities in last year's GF and again last night.

Great win by the Power. I guess we all forget at the mid point of the season they were the yard stick. They dropped off but then their last few weeks have been impressive. For mine the Swans now have the easier Preliminary Final. I still think the Hawks should win but I reckon Port will go close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just rapt for Port. 2 years ago the club was on it's knees, coach was sacked, a player passed away, the club was broke, Kane Cornes had real issues with Primus, and infighting with the SANFL was crippling it.

Sure you can say they had a stockpile of first rounders but it isn't that easy, you only have to look at Melbourne.

If you told me 2 years later they would be a genuine show in the Prelim, and still have core players like Cornes, Schulz, Lobbe, Westhoff, Carlisle and Co still going around and contributing, would have given near on triple figure odds.

Just goes to show how quickly it can all turn around.

"Bottom line ..." pretty simplistic and easy argument to make. I can't win that argument, but I look beyond it. I was only using those incidents as individual examples, not as the specific moments of luck that cost them. It is obviously a bit of luck when the game is that close. To blame Ross Lyon is ridiculous.

He's also never had the list that the other coaches have had. Saints had plenty of guns, but they also had a decent number of ordinary players. He has had a better list at the Dockers but still not as strong as the others, esp with the injuries. Also, he can't be blamed for the missed opportunities in last year's GF and again last night.

Lyon's problem is pretty simple. His teams are always great at the defensive side of the game but they struggle to score heavily against quality opposition when finals come around. Said opposition teams often defend just as well when they have to but they can also hit the scoreboard far harder then Freo can.

Seems he can't be blamed for anything. Try and tell him he isn't a premiership coach only because of bad luck. You might get grabbed by the throat.

Excuses, excuses, as the old saying goes.

What I am saying is that his game plan falls short when it matters and the evidence is there.

I could care less however. I just dislike his style of football as a spectacle intensely and I am heartily sick of the group think that has him the best coach in the business, some say a genius, when several current coaches have better records.

Excuses, excuses, as the old saying goes.

What I am saying is that his game plan falls short when it matters and the evidence is there.

I could care less however. I just dislike his style of football as a spectacle intensely and I am heartily sick of the group think that has him the best coach in the business, some say a genius, when several current coaches have better records.

And I'm saying that the results have that close that it has to be considered luck whether you win or lose.

Lyon's problem is pretty simple. His teams are always great at the defensive side of the game but they struggle to score heavily against quality opposition when finals come around. Said opposition teams often defend just as well when they have to but they can also hit the scoreboard far harder then Freo can.

Finals are always a different Cat, blokes pop up out of nowhere, Shane Ellen, Paul Dear..........hell Nick Duigan.

Ross goes for the tried and true every year, and if he has a fault, he won't throw his players around.

No matter what people reckon, gameplan doesn't exist in finals, stats are always down and you have to take the risk.

Finals are always a different Cat, blokes pop up out of nowhere, Shane Ellen, Paul Dear..........hell Nick Duigan.

Ross goes for the tried and true every year, and if he has a fault, he won't throw his players around.

Gameplan doesn't exist in finals.
Dead right. Malcolm blight and the cows a case in point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back