Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To sum up, there are places where football can be cleaned up, but some people want to take it too far.

BALFOURS' BREAKFAST WITH THE BRASS
AAMI Stadium, 2 October.

Rob Chapman: Well it's been a big 24 hours in football.
Andrew Fagan: Really? What have we done?
Rob Chapman: Eliminated another couple off the list as potential coaches. Brian Royal has turned us down to take a job with a Vic Amateur club. Chris Naish likewise. We are getting there.
Stephen Rowe: Choco Royal, Choco Williams, geez we're big on chocolates. Speaking of which, can someone grab some Krispy Kremes - these rock buns are stale. Where's Ricciuto?
Andrew Fagan: He's interviewing.
Stephen Rowe: I thought we had our coach.
Andrew Fagan: No, he's interviewing for new barman at the Alma.
Stephen Rowe: Where's Noble?
Andrew Fagan: Interviewing.
Stephen Rowe: Who?
Andrew Fagan: He's at the Combine interviewing youngsters. He's posing as an Essendon scout lest his affiliation with us turn off some of the lads.
Stephen Rowe: So we have our coach?
Andrew Fagan: No, we have a process. And a timeline. All we are missing is blokes who want to talk to us.
Stephen Rowe: You know I'm going to throw one in from left field. The 19th Man would love it if we threw the kitchen sink at Bluey McKenna. Our successful coaches have always had hair in one of club colours. Cornesy, Blighty both yellow heads - we need a red head. Obvious credentials - coached G Ablett and kicked a hundred goals a couple of times with Collingwood.
Rob Chapman: Well all that can wait. I've just heard Mitch Robinson is available.
Andrew Fagan: It's not our job here to talk about players. I'm more concerned about this Critchley woman who wants to sterilise football even further. This is a slippery slope. First they'll tell our crowds to quieten down. Next, they'll ban knitting needles at our games.
Rob Chapman: We could always run a bingo game on the scoreboard. Nigel thinks that might work. Anyway, let's have a drink and I'll get him in tomorrow to explain some of his marketing ideas. Roo will be back too.
Stephen Rowe: The 19th man loves marketing ideas too. I hope he's written a few new chants.

Humility is an underrated characteristic.

Yeah I hear you and agree in every day life but it's always been a fine line when you start talking at the elite level. Given sports is so much in between the ears it's almost understandable/ forgivable how some of the elite come across arrogant/ Figjam.

Look at Schumacher & Senna for instance, would they have been as good as they were if they didn't think they were better than everyone else?

Maradona & Pele etc.

I suppose it's just another way of rating one great against another. True greats can be awesome both on and off the field.

For starters, we would actually get him to pull his ******* head in and become a professional, instead of a self righteous douchecanoe.
A coach that wouldn't take his figjam and would push him would turn into a top player. Those are exactly the type of coach he'll look to avoid though so it'll be more of the same where ever he ends up.

There is a piece on the board by Cheryl Critchley who is described in the story as a left-leaning feminist. In it she recalls how things were at footy matches in the 70s and 80s with racism, abuse, drinking and how it has changed. The removal of foulmouthed abuse and racism of course is an improvement. But she seems to favour a total cleanup of football to the point where all atmosphere is out of the game. For instance she talked about a Port Adelaide supporter being removed for taunting the Richmond cheersquad at the final. If the comments made were unacceptable then I agree with this but she did not state they were. What about the taunts we took from the Hawthorn supporters(and a cow supporter) at the prelim? We just wore those and gave our own back.
There are too many people like this Cheryl Critchley who want football to be overly antiseptic. There are a few things to remember. Don't swear, they're may be children listening. Don't get into arguments that look like provoking fights. Don't use inappropriate language. Don't get drunk. But if we can't poke fun at the losing team while we celebrate our win we may as well be like the Russians or Koreans and watch players competing at chess or video games.

For example, when we were crossing the bridge at the elimination final there was a Richmond supporter with a Hannibal Lecter mask. I asked him what he was hiding under there and was shot a dirty look by a female who seemed to think I'd made some heavily insulting comment.

http://www.bigfooty.com/news/2014/10/bigots-not-confined-to-the-afl/

To sum up, there are places where football can be cleaned up, but some people want to take it too far.
It's a difficult one. I consider myself a feminist in many ways, but I'm also a hot blooded male, I've always used going to the football and playing football (soccer, rugby, league and Aussie rules) as time for man side to come out, so,entires that means screaming my lungs out at the players or sticking one on the chin of the opposing prop. Women are more than welcome into the game but not if they are trying to change it's nature and use, though they should be allowed to feel comfortable and not be victimised. Like I said it's a hard one.

It's a difficult one. I consider myself a feminist in many ways, but I'm also a hot blooded male, I've always used going to the football and playing football (soccer, rugby, league and Aussie rules) as time for man side to come out, so,entires that means screaming my lungs out at the players or sticking one on the chin of the opposing prop. Women are more than welcome into the game but not if they are trying to change it's nature and use, though they should be allowed to feel comfortable and not be victimised. Like I said it's a hard one.
There is always a line. I know my wife wont watch or go to a footy match with me. I am vocal, vitriolic, and passionate to an extreme. But, there is always a line! If we cross that line, there are consequences. Issues like racial & sexual vilification, violence, and certain types of abuse that cross the line, have become become clearly brought to everyone's attention. OTOH, overly sanitizing the game is just ridiculous too ... You are right it is a difficult one, 'cos everyone draws that line differently.

AAMI Stadium, 2 October.

Rob Chapman: Well it's been a big 24 hours in football.
Andrew Fagan: Really? What have we done?
Rob Chapman: Eliminated another couple off the list as potential coaches. Brian Royal has turned us down to take a job with a Vic Amateur club. Chris Naish likewise. We are getting there.
Stephen Rowe: Choco Royal, Choco Williams, geez we're big on chocolates. Speaking of which, can someone grab some Krispy Kremes - these rock buns are stale. Where's Ricciuto?
Andrew Fagan: He's interviewing.
Stephen Rowe: I thought we had our coach.
Andrew Fagan: No, he's interviewing for new barman at the Alma.
Stephen Rowe: Where's Noble?
Andrew Fagan: Interviewing.
Stephen Rowe: Who?
Andrew Fagan: He's at the Combine interviewing youngsters. He's posing as an Essendon scout lest his affiliation with us turn off some of the lads.
Stephen Rowe: So we have our coach?
Andrew Fagan: No, we have a process. And a timeline. All we are missing is blokes who want to talk to us.
Stephen Rowe: You know I'm going to throw one in from left field. The 19th Man would love it if we threw the kitchen sink at Bluey McKenna. Our successful coaches have always had hair in one of club colours. Cornesy, Blighty both yellow heads - we need a red head. Obvious credentials - coached G Ablett and kicked a hundred goals a couple of times with Collingwood.
Rob Chapman: Well all that can wait. I've just heard Mitch Robinson is available.
Andrew Fagan: It's not our job here to talk about players. I'm more concerned about this Critchley woman who wants to sterilise football even further. This is a slippery slope. First they'll tell our crowds to quieten down. Next, they'll ban knitting needles at our games.
Rob Chapman: We could always run a bingo game on the scoreboard. Nigel thinks that might work. Anyway, let's have a drink and I'll get him in tomorrow to explain some of his marketing ideas. Roo will be back too.
Stephen Rowe: The 19th man loves marketing ideas too. I hope he's written a few new chants.

keep posting these please, very good for a laugh :)

Don't swear, they're may be children listening. Don't get into arguments that look like provoking fights. Don't use inappropriate language. Don't get drunk. But if we can't poke fun at the losing team while we celebrate our win we may as well be like the Russians or Koreans and watch players competing at chess or video games.

You can take away my swearing, screaming abuse at opposition players and even the odd jibe at opposition supporters but you will never take my BEEEEEERR!!!! NEVER TEAR US APART!!

I admit that before ol Wakelin started doing presentations on the video screen at AAMI several years ago to tone down swearing and abuse, me and my mates were pretty bad. We saw Wakelin's message as a challenge to clean our abuse up and keep it clean while still being able to yell out stupid stuff for laughs.

No but seriously football and beer are like 2 of my top 3 things to do in life.

There is a piece on the board by Cheryl Critchley who is described in the story as a left-leaning feminist. In it she recalls how things were at footy matches in the 70s and 80s with racism, abuse, drinking and how it has changed. The removal of foulmouthed abuse and racism of course is an improvement. But she seems to favour a total cleanup of football to the point where all atmosphere is out of the game. For instance she talked about a Port Adelaide supporter being removed for taunting the Richmond cheersquad at the final. If the comments made were unacceptable then I agree with this but she did not state they were. What about the taunts we took from the Hawthorn supporters(and a cow supporter) at the prelim? We just wore those and gave our own back.
There are too many people like this Cheryl Critchley who want football to be overly antiseptic. There are a few things to remember. Don't swear, they're may be children listening. Don't get into arguments that look like provoking fights. Don't use inappropriate language. Don't get drunk. But if we can't poke fun at the losing team while we celebrate our win we may as well be like the Russians or Koreans and watch players competing at chess or video games.

For example, when we were crossing the bridge at the elimination final there was a Richmond supporter with a Hannibal Lecter mask. I asked him what he was hiding under there and was shot a dirty look by a female who seemed to think I'd made some heavily insulting comment.

"I am a woman feminist and watch football! My rate is $2.50 a word."

There is always a line. I know my wife wont watch or go to a footy match with me. I am vocal, vitriolic, and passionate to an extreme. But, there is always a line! If we cross that line, there are consequences. Issues like racial & sexual vilification, violence, and certain types of abuse that cross the line, have become become clearly brought to everyone's attention. OTOH, overly sanitizing the game is just ridiculous too ... You are right it is a difficult one, 'cos everyone draws that line differently.
Of course, but judging by the comment this lady wants to move the line too far.

This is the type of thing that happens when the middle classes get involved in working class activities.

Couldn't agree more. It's akin to all those numpties who buy property in the CBD because it's oh so trendy and then complain about every activity within a 5km radius that barely emits more decibels than the dull moan of a Crows home crowd.

You can take away my swearing, screaming abuse at opposition players and even the odd jibe at opposition supporters but you will never take my BEEEEEERR!!!! NEVER TEAR US APART!!

I admit that before ol Wakelin started doing presentations on the video screen at AAMI several years ago to tone down swearing and abuse, me and my mates were pretty bad. We saw Wakelin's message as a challenge to clean our abuse up and keep it clean while still being able to yell out stupid stuff for laughs.

No but seriously football and beer are like 2 of my top 3 things to do in life.
With the price of beer what it is at the football I am surprised anyone can manage to get drunk at all.

Talking about Wakelin, some may be aware that he has a degree in pharmacy and is currently working as the head pharmacist in the chemist in Alberton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AAMI Stadium, 2 October.

Bit of sarcasm there but Rowe probably does think that it was Bluey and not Peter who played for the Magpies.

A caller on AA asked why they don't cut our lunch & pinch Gorringe, cRowe said 'he didn't knock the Crows back, he would've called the Crows & they said he'd be 5th in line' wtf behind who delisted Mckernan or Graham? He'd walk into that Crows best 22 as Jacobs' backup, he can't admit they've been Polec'd again lol.

Also when he was talking about all the candidates that don't want their coaching job he said 'there's only one Ken Hinkley so we might have to poach him', why do they feel so entitled to the best players & coaches in this state? Ken just like Walsh, Burgess & KT would laugh at their attempts to pry them away from this club.

Crowie: "Gorringe didn't choose PAFC. He spoke with both but was told he would be a long way down the list at Crows so now he wants to go to Port!" :drunk:

r98BJOt.gif

Let's assume for a second that this is accurate.
How do you think Gorringe is going to play against them if he eventually makes it to Port.

Don't forget they have Jenkins folks, he's a beast and not far off Ryder I've read over yonder :rolleyes:

A caller on AA asked why they don't cut our lunch & pinch Gorringe, cRowe said 'he didn't knock the Crows back, he would've called the Crows & they said he'd be 5th in line' wtf behind who delisted Mckernan or Graham? He'd walk into that Crows best 22 as Jacobs' backup, he can't admit they've been Polec'd again lol.

Also when he was talking about all the candidates that don't want their coaching job he said 'there's only one Ken Hinkley so we might have to poach him', why do they feel so entitled to the best players & coaches in this state? Ken just like Walsh, Burgess & KT would laugh at their attempts to pry them away from this club.

They don't understand loyalty and connection to a club. They cant fathom in their corporate minds what it means to be part of port adelaide. They seem to think it's all money. Crowies gonna crow.

Personally I think Roo is trying to interview players to find out what makes us tick, another effort to make his composite test tube club more like port adelaide.

I find it interesting that Gorringe's manager said yesterday that they hadn't spoken to the cows at all nor had any enquiries from them.

Rabble !
Do they even have a list manager? Or Coach? Or staff ?
They might need to hire Twiggy again.:D

It would be true to say that many fewer Crow supporters are buying his pro-Crow/anti-Port dribble these days. It's just been overwhelmed by the good news flowing out of Alberton and the opposite flowing out of West Lakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back