MightyDons4's 2014 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
Before I start I didn't think there was any point in putting draft profiles on the players since Paige and Knightmare had already done so. Feel free to leave feedback about who should go higher, lower and which clubs won and lost in my phantom, enjoy! Apologies in advance if I accidentally left someone out.

Update 2.0: 26/10

1. St.Kilda- Christian Petracca (mid/fwd)
Reason: Best player in the draft, provides support for the saints young midfield and can go forward and impact the scoreboard

2. Melbourne- Angus Brayshaw (mid)
Reason: Demons need midfield class which Brayshaw has bundles of

3. Melbourne- Patrick McCartin (kpf)
Reason: Demons need someone to partner Hogan, Dawes isn't good enough

4. GWS- Jake Lever (kpd)
Reason: Kpd's are an obvious weakness in the Giants line up, Lever should fill the void in the backline and partner Davis

5. Collingwood- Jayden Laverde (fwd/mid)
Reason: Best small available at their pick, has X factor up forward and can push through the midfield.

6. GWS- Peter Wright (fwd/ruc)
Reason: Cover for the loss of Giles and Boyd

7. GWS- Liam Duggan (def/mid)
Reason: Can play as an attacking defender/winger who should add more outside class to the Giants.

8. Gold Coast- Lachie Weller (mid)
Reason: Gives the Suns an outside mid option

9. Collingwood- Darcy Moore (fwd)
Reason: f/s

10. Geelong- Sam Durdin (kpp)
Reason: Geelong have an ageing backline and weak ruck options, Durdin will inject youth and quality into both positions

11. West Coast- Jarrod Pickett (mid/def)
Reason: Eagles need a line breaking mid, Pickett fits perfectly

12. Richmond- Paul Ahern (fwd/mid)
Reason: Richmond want quick mids, Ahern can help with rotations and has an impeccable goal sense when playing forward,

13. Fremantle- Hugh Goddard (kpp)
Reason: McPharlin not getting any younger, should gradually takeover his post.

14. Adelaide- Caleb Marchback (kpd)
Reason: After the loss of truck, the Crows need someone to partner Talia.

15. Gold Coast- Kyle Langford (kpd)
Reason: Can kick bags of goals, take marks and play in defence. Should fill any needs of the Suns lineup.

16. North Melbourne- Jordan De Goey (fwd/mid)
Reason: Provide's a forward target and an inside/outside midfield option

17 Essendon- Nakia Cockatoo (mid)
Reason: Adds some much needed outside pace.

18. Carlton- Jarrod Garlett (util)
Reason: Provides some much needed outside run and carry

19. Sydney- Isaac Heeney (mid)
Reason: Academy

20. Essendon- Corey Ellis (mid/def)
Reason: Adds inside and outside polish, versatile and is a very creative kick; an underrated player

21. St.Kilda- Tom Lamb (util)
Reason: Saints need help everywhere, Tom Lamb can play pretty much everywhere

Round Two:
22. St.Kilda- Reece Mckenzie (kpf)
Reason: Can take some pressure off Riewoldt

23. GWS- Daniel Mckenzie (def/mid)
Reason: Fills a need which is having another rebounding defender to partner shaw

24. GWS- Jack Steele (fwd/mid)

25. North Melbourne- Ed Vickers-Wallis (def)
Reason: Inject youth into North's ageing backline

26. Western Bulldogs- Oscar McDonald (kpd)
Reason: Him and Cordy will shore up the dogs backline

27. Western Bulldogs- Connor Menadue (util)
Reason: Heir to the Cooney throne

28. Carlton- Connor Blakely (mid)
Reason: Delisted McLean, needs another inside mid

29. Gold Coast- Jack Lonie (fwd)
Reason: Suns need a lively small forward

30. Collingwood- Alex Neal-Bullen (mid)
Reason: Inside grunt ready to go from day one, should help out Greenwood and Pendles

31. Hawthorn- Touk Miller (mid)
Reason: Hawks need an inside mid with some flair, Miller fits the bill

32. West Coast- Peter Bamptom (mid)
Reason: Priddis isn't getting any younger

33. Richmond- Dean Gore (fwd/mid)
Reason: Tigers need an inside mid to help out Miles and Cotchin

34. Fremantle- Damien Cavka (mid/fwd)
Reason: Should take the pressure off Hill and Morabito

35. Adelaide- Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (def)
Reason: With Smith transitioning into a midfielder, they need a rebounding defender to fill the void

36. North Melbourne- Clem Smith (def/mid)
Reason: Fits the shinboner spirit, fills the need for a small defender

37. Sydney- Tyler Keitel (kpp)
Reason: Cover for when Goodes retires and can swing back to help Grundy+Richards

38. Sydney- Jack Hiscox (util)

39. Western Bulldogs- Brayden Maynard(mid)
Reason: Provides inside grunt, will be valuable when Boyd retires

40. Melbourne- Jackson Nelson (mid/def)
Reason: Hard nut, versatile and finds the footy

Round Three:
41. St.Kilda- Keenan Ramsey (kpd)
Reason: Heir to the Fisher throne

42. Melbourne- Billy Stretch (mid)

43. Adelaide- Toby McLean (fwd/mid)
Reason: Lively small forward, shown he can push into the midfield and give relief to Dangerfield etc

44. Brisbane- Liam Dawson (def/mid)

45. Western Bulldogs- Jack Cripps (kpf/ruc)
Reason: Provides a forward target, can help Minson in the ruck

46. Western Bulldogs- Nathan Drummond (util)
Reason: Heir to the Murphy throne

47. Geelong- Daniel Capiron (def)
Reason: Heir to the Mackie throne

48. Collingwood- Ed Langdon (fwd)
Reason: Provide smart around goals, can push into midfield as an outside option

49. Hawthorn- Daniel Howe (def)
Reason: Takeover from ageing defence

50. Hawthorn- Taylor Grace (mid/def)
Reason: Racks up the pill, hopefully takes over from Sam Mitchell

51. West Coast- Josh Glenn (def/mid)
Reason: Helps out Hurn, Gaff etc with his kick and run

52. Richmond- Teia Miles (def/mid)
Reason: Ellis moved into Midfield, Tigers need another rebounding defender

53. Melbourne- Matthew Goodyear (mid)
Reason: Tackles hard, good accumulator and speedy

54. Fremantle- Matthew Hammelmann (kpf)
Reason: Help out Taberner and fill in for Pav

55. Geelong- Jaden McGrath (mid/fwd)
Reason: Cover for the loss of Varcoe and Christensen

56. North Melbourne- James Rose (fwd/mid)
Reason: Goalkicker, shown signs he can move into the midfield

57. Port Adelaide- Jason Castagna (def)
Reason: Power need another rebounding defender

58. Sydney- Harrison Wigg (def/mid)
Reason: Elite kick, good accumulator, should fill the Malceski void

59. Adelaide- Tom Wilkinson (mid/fwd)
Reason: Crows need outside run, he never stops running

Round Four:
60. Geelong- Jordan Cunico (mid)
Reason: Cover for the loss of Varcoe and Christensen

61. Carlton- Josh Deluca-Cardillo (fwd/mid)
Reason: Cover for the loss of Garlett and Robinson

62. Essendon- Aidan Anderson (fwd)
Reason: Smart and powerful small/medium forward

63. Brisbane- Harris Andrews (kpp)

64. Western Bulldogs- Zaine Cordy (kpd)

65. Carlton- Declan Hamilton (mid/fwd)
Reason: Gives the blues more outside run

66. Gold Coast- Cory Gregson (fwd/mid)
Reason: Help with fwd/mid rotations, depth

67. Brisbane- Josh McGuiness (def)
Reason: Gives the Lions a high production rebounding defender

68. Hawthorn- Lukas Webb (fwd/mid)
Reason: Proven goalkicker up forward, can rotate through the middle and is a ferocious tackler, depth

69. West Coast- Daniel Nielson (kpd)
Reason: Heir the the Glass throne

70. Richmond- Daniel Butler (mid/def)
Reason: Big bodied mid to help out Cotchin and Miles

71. Essendon- Sam Bevan (kpp)
Reason: KPP depth, may be called into action if Fletcher's body finally gives way

72. Fremantle- Brenton Payne (kpf)
Reason: Help out Taberner and Pavlich

73. Geelong- Oleg Markov (fwd)
Reason: Will add another dimension to the cats forward line, has the ability to become a handy wingman down the track

74. North Melbourne- Ryan Lim (def/mid)
Reason: Gives North another rebounding defender option, depth

75. Port Adelaide- Caleb Daniel (fwd/mid)
Reason: Someone has to take him regardless of his height, has the potential to become a cult figure and an important at Port, depth

76. Sydney- Abaina Davis (kpf)

77. Hawthorn- Billy Evans (mid)
Reason: Big bodied midfielder, depth

Obviously most clubs will elect to use their 4th round picks on rookie elevations rather than draft picks, however there's no point in putting rookie elevation in a phantom draft!

Last edited:
Cant help but think McCartin doesn't get past Melbourne's 2 or 3. Thinking they might want a few quality keys down there in the future, Hogan and McCartin could be something (Oh and Watts... anyone get any hope left in the tank for him?) ...I dont

Also cant help but think this year is a soft draft, especially compared to last year. Getting some high-end key pos. talent early could be the way to go for the dees? They pick inside the 5 again next year and can add to the midfield/backline, they wont win any more than 6-7 games. Could well take a gamble on Lever. Why not. They got some serious charity with pick 3, more or less a freebie.

Cant help but think McCartin doesn't get past Melbourne's 2 or 3. Thinking they might want a few quality keys down there in the future, Hogan and McCartin could be something (Oh and Watts... anyone get any hope left in the tank for him?) ...I dont

Also cant help but think this year is a soft draft, especially compared to last year. Getting some high-end key pos. talent early could be the way to go for the dees? They pick inside the 5 again next year and can add to the midfield/backline, they wont win any more than 6-7 games. Could well take a gamble on Lever. Why not. They got some serious charity with pick 3, more or less a freebie.
I've been put off by the talk that Melbourne won't take McCartin because he's too similar to Hogan. Lever is a brilliant key defender and I don't see how they could go wrong by taking him early.

Firstly, good effort mate. Just wanted to ask why you have us taking teia miles with our first selection? From highlight videos he looks similar to sam Colquhoun and we addressed our need for a small defender in jarman impey last year so I wouldn't think we would pick him up maybe a tall defender or a ruck such as baulderstone. Also, If Daniel is available at 57 we would pick him before anyone else, I could only dream though :(

I would be gobsmacked if GWS didn't take one or two of Durdin/Marchbank/Goddard with 4, 6 or 7.
If they get one or both of Lever and Wright they may not want to go all talls, in fact I'd be surprised if they selected two talls.

I've been put off by the talk that Melbourne won't take McCartin because he's too similar to Hogan. Lever is a brilliant key defender and I don't see how they could go wrong by taking him early.

Yeah fair shout actually, will be interesting to see which direction they take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be surprised if the Dees pass on McCartin. If they can get the mids right 2 gun forwards go a long way towards getting to September. KPF's tend to have a better trade value. He will be insurance if Hogan gets itchy feet.

Firstly, good effort mate. Just wanted to ask why you have us taking teia miles with our first selection? From highlight videos he looks similar to sam Colquhoun and we addressed our need for a small defender in jarman impey last year so I wouldn't think we would pick him up maybe a tall defender or a ruck such as baulderstone. Also, If Daniel is available at 57 we would pick him before anyone else, I could only dream though :(
To be honest, whenever I look at Port's list I just feel they lack quality medium defenders. Broadbent is a little inconsistent, Pittard is all over the place and Colquhoun was injured last season so I think Miles would provide back up and push into starting contention mid-late 2015 season.

MightyDons4 GWS has pick 23, traded for Frost and a later pick.

Good effort
Thanks for that, fixed it up now

I would be gobsmacked if GWS didn't take one or two of Durdin/Marchbank/Goddard with 4, 6 or 7.
I presume you would look at them as key defender for GWS. However, they already have Mohr, Golds, Buntine, Corr, Davis and Plowman plus they're already bringing in Finlayson and Patfull. They could go for another key defender, However I think it would be more beneficial to cover for the loss of Boyd and get Wright to rotate with Mummy

I would be surprised if the Dees pass on McCartin. If they can get the mids right 2 gun forwards go a long way towards getting to September. KPF's tend to have a better trade value. He will be insurance if Hogan gets itchy feet.
Definitely a different way of looking at it, however you want to be drafting players best suited to your needs, not because a player might leave (haven't heard any rumours on it) or because they will have more value in the trade market

If they get one or both of Lever and Wright they may not want to go all talls, in fact I'd be surprised if they selected two talls.
This is assuming Lever goes at pick 3 like in this draft (which I doubt with Dees not needing a key defender)
I presume you would look at them as key defender for GWS. However, they already have Mohr, Golds, Buntine, Corr, Davis and Plowman plus they're already bringing in Finlayson and Patfull. They could go for another key defender, However I think it would be more beneficial to cover for the loss of Boyd and get Wright to rotate with Mummy
Mohr is injured and crap, Golds is as much a key defender as Dempsey, Buntine too small, Corr is a 50/50 prospect at best, Davis is a very good defender and Plowman is poor when playing on anybody except the 3rd tall. Patfull will last 2 or 3 years at most and Finlayson is a forward I thought. They have the key forwards in Tomlinson, Cameron, Patton, McCarthy and Stewart. GWS's biggest need is a key defender to partner Davis.

This is assuming Lever goes at pick 3 like in this draft (which I doubt with Dees not needing a key defender)

Mohr is injured and crap, Golds is as much a key defender as Dempsey, Buntine too small, Corr is a 50/50 prospect at best, Davis is a very good defender and Plowman is poor when playing on anybody except the 3rd tall. Patfull will last 2 or 3 years at most and Finlayson is a forward I thought. They have the key forwards in Tomlinson, Cameron, Patton, McCarthy and Stewart. GWS's biggest need is a key defender to partner Davis.
Even if they choose not to go for a key defender with their first picks, they could choose McDonald or Vickers-Wallis with 23.

Even if they choose not to go for a key defender with their first picks, they could choose McDonald or Vickers-Wallis with 23.
Why settle for 2nd best when they can get the cream of the crop in their biggest need?

Before I start I didn't think there was any point in putting draft profiles on the players since Paige and Knightmare had already done so. Feel free to leave feedback about who should go higher, lower and which clubs won and lost in my phantom, enjoy! Apologies in advance if I accidentally left someone out.

1. St.Kilda- Christian Petracca (mid/fwd)
2. Melbourne- Angus Brayshaw (mid)
3. Melbourne- Jake Lever (kpd)
4. GWS- Patrick McCartin (kpf)
5. Collingwood- Jayden Laverde (fwd/mid)
6. GWS- Peter Wright (fwd/ruc)
7. GWS- Liam Duggan (def/mid)
8. Gold Coast- Lachie Weller (mid)
9. Collingwood- Darcy Moore (fwd)
10. Geelong- Paul Ahern (fwd/mid)
11. West Coast- Jarrod Pickett (mid/def)
12. Richmond- Kyle Langford (util)
13. Fremantle- Hugh Goddard (kpp)
14. Adelaide- Sam Durdin (kpp)
15. Gold Coast- Caleb Marchback (kpd)
16. North Melbourne- Nakia Cockatoo (mid)
17 Essendon- Jordan De Goey (mid/fwd)
18. Carlton- Jarrod Garlett (util)
19. Sydney- Isaac Heeney (mid)
20. Essendon- Corey Ellis (mid/def)
21. St.Kilda- Tom Lamb (fwd/mid)

22. St.Kilda- Reece Mckenzie (kpf)
23. GWS- Daniel Mckenzie (def/mid)
24. GWS- Jack Steele (fwd/mid)
25. North Melbourne- Ed Vickers-Wallis (def)
26. Western Bulldogs- Oscar McDonald (kpd)
27. Western Bulldogs- Connor Menadue (util)
28. Carlton- Connor Blakely (mid)
29. Gold Coast- Alex Neal-Bullen (mid)
30. Collingwood- Peter Bampton (mid)
31. Hawthorn- Touk Miller (mid)
32. West Coast- Jack Lonie (fwd)
33. Richmond- Dean Gore (fwd/mid)
34. Fremantle- Damien Cavka (mid/fwd)
35. Adelaide- Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (def)
36. North Melbourne- Clem Smith (def/mid)
37. Sydney- Tyler Keitel (kpp)
38. Sydney- Jack Hiscox (util)
39. Western Bulldogs- Brayden Maynard(mid)
40. Melbourne- Jackson Nelson (mid/def)

41. St.Kilda- Keenan Ramsey (kpd)
42. Melbourne- Billy Stretch (mid)
43. Adelaide- Toby McLean (fwd/mid)
44. Brisbane- Liam Dawson (def/mid)
45. Western Bulldogs- Jack Cripps (kpf/ruc)
46. Western Bulldogs- Nathan Drummond (util)
47. Geelong- Daniel Capiron (def)
48. Collingwood- Ed Langdon (fwd)
49. Hawthorn- Daniel Howe (def)
50. Hawthorn- Taylor Grace (mid/def)
51. West Coast- Josh Glenn (def/mid)
52. Richmond- Jason Castagna (def)
53. Melbourne- Matthew Hammelman (kpf)
54. Fremantle- Matthew Goodyear (mid)
55. Geelong- Jaden McGrath (mid/fwd)
56. North Melbourne- James Rose (fwd/mid)
57. Port Adelaide- Teia Miles (def/mid)
58. Sydney- Harrison Wigg (def/mid)
59. Adelaide- Tom Wilkinson (mid/fwd)

60. Geelong- Jordan Cunico (mid)
61. Carlton- Josh Deluca-Cardillo (fwd/mid)
62. Essendon- Josh McGuiness (def)
63. Brisbane- Harris Andrews (kpp)
64. Western Bulldogs- Zaine Cordy (kpd)
65. Carlton- Declan Hamilton (mid/fwd)
66. Gold Coast- Cory Gregson (fwd/mid)
67. Brisbane- Ryan Lim (def/mid)
68. Hawthorn- Lukas Webb (fwd/mid)
69. West Coast- Daniel Nielson (kpd)
70. Richmond- Daniel Butler (mid/def)
71. Essendon- Aidan Anderson (fwd)
72. Fremantle- Brenton Payne (kpf)
73. Geelong- Oleg Markov (fwd)
74. North Melbourne- Sam Bevan (kpp)
75. Port Adelaide- Caleb Daniel (fwd/mid)
76. Sydney- Abaina Davis (kpf)
77. Hawthorn- Billy Evans (mid)

Obviously most clubs will elect to use their 4th round picks on rookie elevations rather than draft picks, however there's no point in putting rookie elevation in a phantom draft!

Make this draft happen! Nice harvest for Giants!

Because they'd rather Duggan+McDonald over Durdin+McKenzie
I very much doubt that. Dime a dozen mid which they don't need vs a gun KPD which they do need.

I'd be very happy with this

And so you should be Mofra :thumbsu:
McDonald is seriously underrated , the kid can play.

Bontempelli and Menadue what a dangerous combination of wingmen they would be. :)

I very much doubt that. Dime a dozen mid which they don't need vs a gun KPD which they do need.
McDonald has shutdown Moore, McCartin and Wright this year. He also led the TAC cup for contested marks, he's extremely versatile, reads the play, good kick, good acceleration, strong hands, doesn't go to ground and can swing forward (although defence is his best position). Assuming GWS would use Durdin and McDonald as KPD, there isn't much difference. However, there is a big difference between Duggan and McKenzie. Duggan is a much better kick, has a better inside and outside game, more versatile and is quicker.

McDonald has shutdown Moore, McCartin and Wright this year. He also led the TAC cup for contested marks, he's extremely versatile, reads the play, good kick, good acceleration, strong hands, doesn't go to ground and can swing forward (although defence is his best position). Assuming GWS would use Durdin and McDonald as KPD, there isn't much difference. However, there is a big difference between Duggan and McKenzie. Duggan is a much better kick, has a better inside and outside game, more versatile and is quicker.
Another point is why would you risk it when St. Kilda have 2 picks immediately before GWS's who also need a long term partner for Bruce in defence? It's much smarter for GWS to take the higher rated defender (their biggest need) first up and take a mid later on rather than take a mid first up and take a gamble later in the draft.

Another point is why would you risk it when St. Kilda have 2 picks immediately before GWS's who also need a long term partner for Bruce in defence? It's much smarter for GWS to take the higher rated defender (their biggest need) first up and take a mid later on rather than take a mid first up and take a gamble later in the draft.
I have the Saints choosing Ramsey later on and also strongly believe they will choose a fwd/mid and a tall fwd with 21&22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back