Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
He has real footballing nous, and judging by the footage, I'm confident that he can become a decent player down the track.

He's a natural footballing talent.

What are the knocks on him, and why isn't he touted my highly?

I think some on here follow along party lines, there's no doubt in my mind if available Wells will be calling his name.
Perfect big defender in my view.

I think some on here follow along party lines, there's no doubt in my mind if available Wells will be calling his name.
Perfect big defender in my view.
I've changed my view now with Hamling and Brown both delisted, other than what's been whispered in my ear, and with my original thoughts that we needed another midfielder.

He looks more compact that the rest of the underdeveloped KPD's in the draft. Never overlook the kid with the 'AFL' body. Some are unable to build theirs significantly for the rigors of the game.

Goddard is a steal at #10.

Last edited:

I've changed my view with Hamling and Brown both delisted, other than what's been whispered in my ear.

He looks more compact that the rest of the underdeveloped KPD's in the draft. Never overlook the kid with the 'AFL' body. Some are unable to build there's significantly for the rigors of the game.

Goddard is a steal at #10.

That's just what I reckon, we've gambled and lost in the past with the real light weight talls that never fill out, the wait then becomes far to long in any case. Look at the unfortunate two Brown and Hamling, you need the genetics apart from height.
Goddard's not the gamble others would be, in any case he's a natural quality defender.

pies will take Moore @ 6 so only 8 picks before before Wells pick But I can see WB going for Goddard at p6.
Moore is a given at pick #9 and the Dogs no longer have pick 6.

Oh that right! i got the picks around the wrong way> dam Sunday's.
GWS might go tall with one of there early picks.
I reckon the dee's will load up on mids.
GWS are more likely to go with Wright or McCartin now that Boyd's departed and Patton's done his knee. I think Goddard will still be there at pick 10.

In this modern age of football its easy, if you have either the right environment, or the salary cap room, to attract powerful key position players. Look at frawley, lake's and mcevoys move to hawthorn, or Boyds western experience. We could therefore reasonably expect to be able to fill KPD holes this was However, genuinely talented midfielders, being more common than 200cm behemoths, are better taken in the draft. With pick 10, I believe, we should select paul ahern. The kid is genuinely damaging. I think I read somewhere that he had the most score assists in the tac cup. He's accurate, quick and a real footballer, not another cat B Rookie prospect. Seems a natural high half forward, and could complement motlop nicely. Good speed as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see if GWS takes Laverde at 4. Don't think the pies would take Wright at 5, so that could be a good gamble for them.
Also. If you had first pick for the Saints and were looking for a mid. Would you take Petracca or Brayshaw?. I think the Saints got there Petracca last year in Billings. Brayshaw is the Perfect Hayes replacement going forward.

Interesting to see if GWS takes Laverde at 4. Don't think the pies would take Wright at 5, so that could be a good gamble for them.
Also. If you had first pick for the Saints and were looking for a mid. Would you take Petracca or Brayshaw?. I think the Saints got there Petracca last year in Billings. Brayshaw is the Perfect Hayes replacement going forward.

No offence , but that is sort the logic that Melbourne used when they let Wines go. Im not sure a team can have too many mids like Petricca , not that they could anyway.

Posted this in the other thread, but maybe more relevant here.

Assuming we go key defender with pick 10 (which we should), the players I'd look at for 47, 55 & 60 are:

Touk Miller
Small inside midfielder ferocious mid in the mould of Kerr or Prestia, good speed and agility and good mark for his size given his long arms. A clearance king with strong leadership (capt of Calder Cannons). Would replace stokes in a few years.

Josh Glenn
Mid/defender who plays like Sam Mitchell (hbf version), very good left foot, strong in the contest and one on one. Would be a very good player behind the ball and at 20, can come into the team sooner rather than later.

Lukas Webb
Medium 186cm utility with one of the best left foot kicks in the draft. Similar to Duncan in that he roams between the arc, has a strong mark, strong in the contest but plays more outside and uses the ball beautifully.

Aiden Anderson
Medium forward who has a rare mix of speed agility and x-factor as well as strength and strong overhead marking. Loves to take on players, great 1-1 and is a genuine 183cm you could play out of the goal square. Is extremely dangerous and plays a lot like Chappy. Most underrated in the draft imo. Since the loss of Chappy, Menzel (and SJ to the midfield) we lack that medium forward that makes our 50m arc dangerous. Aiden is the player we miss and I hope we draft him at 47.

Or.. the best slider (Connor Manadue)
You never know who is going to slide... I think someone like Manadue could slide given his light frame.. we shall see.

To see these players in action (and I strongly urge you check out the above if you've got a spare 15 mins), please see the following link:

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine.workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back