Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I queried this player with Knightmare a while back, his stats are impressive, but Knightmare thought that given his an over-ager in the U18 comp, he just quietly racks-up the possessions in the background without noticing him. He must be good to average those types of stats, but the impression I got from Knightmare was that he goes unnoticed and that he doesn't hurt the opposition. Then again that's only one opinion.

Yeah, reminds me of priddis actually.

IMO, every team needs 1 of this type of player in their midfield group (accumulator, consistent, runs all day) as it just glues the midfielders together, and allows for more damaging different types to be in the mid. Right now, I don't think we have this type of midfielder (Selwood is probably the best accumulator but his role is different), and with 3 picks between 47 and 60, I think this is probably the best we could hope for.

IMO, every team needs 1 of this type of player in their midfield group (accumulator, consistent, runs all day) as it just glues the midfielders together, and allows for more damaging different types to be in the mid. Right now, I don't think we have this type of midfielder (Selwood is probably the best accumulator but his role is different), and with 3 picks between 47 and 60, I think this is probably the best we could hope for.
Perhaps Newton could be this player?

Teia Miles is another player I like for one of our 3 later picks.

Reminds me a lot of Lang - quick thinker, agile, makes good decisions and is damaging with each disposal. Won the Geelong Falcons bnf too.

Would be very happy with Miles, Aiden Anderson and Taylor Grace with our later picks.

Hey Vdubs what are your thoughts on Daniel Nielson? Is he worth picking up with one of our later picks?
Very quick off the mark, did well in the sprints at Combine.
Excellent endeavour, true defender, good size as a HBF, possibly a fraction short as a KB, but could still develop in that area.
I am biased, but would love him at Geelong.
Probable late pick anywhere.
If I had to nominate where I see him going- Port.

I'm starting to see why we were happy to swap p35? for p47. This draft is starting to look deeper and deeper with good/solid types.

I agree. I believe the term is 'workhorse'. Joel Corey, Ling before he was a tagger. Steady, hardworking rock in the midfield. This might be a good year to get one or two with this type of potential. I do see Jansen as having a bit of this about him - not sure about his tank though.

Very quick off the mark, did well in the sprints at Combine.
Excellent endeavour, true defender, good size as a HBF, possibly a fraction short as a KB, but could still develop in that area.
I am biased, but would love him at Geelong.
Probable late pick anywhere.
If I had to nominate where I see him going- Port.
He looks more like a stopper, my only query is whether he might lack an offensive game to peel off and create play. With a pure stopper, you probably want that for your full-back position, and I'm just not sure if he's big enough - most KPPs are around 195cm+ these days.

Daniel Davie seems to be a good HBF (190cm, 93kgs) that can compete in the air, averaging 5 marks a game at TAC, also being able to average 18 possessions a game, he also did some damage kicking goals when they switched him forward.

For Geelong's rebound defensive style of play, I think we need defenders that can also play peel off from their opponent and provide offensive drive.

Jaden McGrath is one I really like with potentially #47.

Typical Wells selection - good overhead, makes good decisions, been injured a lot this year which has lowered is draft stocks (probably a 20s pick when fit), was in the AIS squad. Plays like Christensen/stokes.

Check him out on the draft machine.

Typical Wells selection - good overhead, makes good decisions, been injured a lot this year which has lowered is draft stocks (probably a 20s pick when fit), was in the AIS squad. Plays like Christensen/stokes.

Would you be kind enough to send me a link to the draft machine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smart & accurate, may need a couple of seasons but well worth a look!

I like the look of Markov. Nice turn of pace , balanced across the grass , relaxed kick with a nice feel , pretty good overhead. Like the package...be worth a look with one of our later picks.
OLEG MARKOV

MARKOV-Oleg.jpg

PLAYER BIO2014 U18 STATS
Height:186cmGoals:3
Weight:69kgAvg Kicks:7.1
Pos:ForwardAvg Marks:2.4
Avg H'balls:3.1
THE INSIDE WORD
Medium forward/midfielder with elite athletic ability. Possesses excellent vertical jump and marks strongly over opponents. Broke his collarbone twice this year. Finished equal-second in 20m sprint (2.87 sec) and equal-sixth in repeat sprint (24.14 sec) at NAB AFL Draft Combine. Son of Olympic and world champion pole-vaulter Dmitri Markov.

Bound for Glory....
Position: Midfielder
Height: 186 cm, Weight: 69 kg, DOB: 8/6/1996
Club: North Adelaide
Projected Draft Range: 50-rookie
Plays like:

Not as well as known outside of South Australia as he should be, Oleg Markov is the son of Olympic and former world champion pole vaulter Dmitri Markov. Naturally, his father’s athleticism has carried on to Oleg, who has taken to AFL football like a duck to water. The medium midfielder/forward is as quick as they come, demonstrated when he ran a sub-three second 20 metre sprint at the combine. Whilst it clearly highlights his explosiveness, he has the top-line pace that enables him to complete dashing, line breaking runs along the wing, a position he has settled into. His vertical leap defies what his size says he should jump, and he’s got no problems sitting on opposition players’ heads. Whilst he has elite AFL qualities, he’s gone largely unheard after fracturing his collar bone twice this season.

Last edited:
I like the look of Markov. Nice turn of pace , balanced across the grass , relaxed kick with a nice feel , pretty good overhead. Like the package...be worth a look with one of our later picks.
OLEG MARKOV

MARKOV-Oleg.jpg

PLAYER BIO2014 U18 STATS
THE INSIDE WORD
Medium forward/midfielder with elite athletic ability. Possesses excellent vertical jump and marks strongly over opponents. Broke his collarbone twice this year. Finished equal-second in 20m sprint (2.87 sec) and equal-sixth in repeat sprint (24.14 sec) at NAB AFL Draft Combine. Son of Olympic and world champion pole-vaulter Dmitri Markov.

He also has a horrible injury history... sounds like a Wells' special.

Last edited by a moderator:
OLEG MARKOV

MARKOV-Oleg.jpg

PLAYER BIO2014 U18 STATS
THE INSIDE WORD

Bound for Glory....
Position: Midfielder
Height: 186 cm, Weight: 69 kg, DOB: 8/6/1996
Club: North Adelaide
Projected Draft Range: 50-rookie
Plays like:

Not as well as known outside of South Australia as he should be, Oleg Markov is the son of Olympic and former world champion pole vaulter Dmitri Markov. Naturally, his father’s athleticism has carried on to Oleg, who has taken to AFL football like a duck to water. The medium midfielder/forward is as quick as they come, demonstrated when he ran a sub-three second 20 metre sprint at the combine. Whilst it clearly highlights his explosiveness, he has the top-line pace that enables him to complete dashing, line breaking runs along the wing, a position he has settled into. His vertical leap defies what his size says he should jump, and he’s got no problems sitting on opposition players’ heads. Whilst he has elite AFL qualities, he’s gone largely unheard after fracturing his collar bone twice this season.
Definitely like the look of this guy, can't question his commitment..

Last edited by a moderator:
Zero chance he'll be available at p10. I think he's more of a tall forward than a ruckman. A bloke with his athleticism and foot skills at 203cm & 100kg doesn't come around very often. In fact, I expect him to be pick #1.

Wright still Zero chance of not being available at 10?

I'll ask my question again, can we pick him after bringing in Clarke and Stanley?

Just watched some chunks of the AIS/AFL U18 squad game against Collingwood's VFL team and apart from Brayshaw, Heeney Petracca and the like, I was most impressed with the following:

Weller - Looked extremely composed against the bigger bodies, and constantly found gaps between tacklers. He had such balance when landing that you had no idea which way he was going to dart off. His light body is less of a concern for me now. Kid is class and imo the safest bet at being a gun out of the players at our first pick.

McGrath - Looked like Keiren Jack but with a right foot. Was constantly tackling or creating chances for team mates. Would love him at 47.

Goddard - made a few errors but i counted 3 smothers in the chunks I watched. Will make it as a good key defender.

Pickett - this guy will be a better more damaging version of Brad Hill, combined with motlop we'd have the best outside wingers in the AFL. Would be very happy with him at 10.

I've also got to say, I was really unimpressed with Wright. Given he appears a chance to fall to 10 now I was playing close attention to him and I just didn't see anything that put to bed concerns that he just plays well against smaller bodies. Didn't give any second efforts, there was no urgency, could not mark the ball under any sort of body contact and just seemed extremely, well, soft is the wrong word.. but did not seem to like any sort of contested situation and you would think he'd have an advantage given he's 100kg+ ... Starting to see why clubs might be overlooking him and now think he is a very long term prospect from competing against bigger bodies in the AFL. IMO Lamb showed a lot more when forward than Wright. Maybe we could put it down to just 1 bad game for his sake.

Wright still Zero chance of not being available at 10?

I'll ask my question again, can we pick him after bringing in Clarke and Stanley?

Haha hindsight is a beautiful thing! Clarke is 27, I think we can certainly afford to bring in Wright. He might not play in the seniors for 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back