Questions you hate being asked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Normally I'm open to answering most things provided they are asked within the right spirit. What I hate thou are potentially loaded questions, those with a hidden agenda or those that invite judgement or frankly are none of peoples business. It is an interesting thing but I hate giving answers to certain questions as it seems to fit with some preconceived notion someone has and doesn't allow a natural conversation to flow. Others just s**t me.

What about people on here? Are there questions you hate answering or hate being asked by one person in particular.

Mine are.............

So what do you do?

Where do you live?

What school did you go to? (Who gives a sh*& it was over a decade ago).

What are you thinking?

Honestly, questions like what do you do? and where do you live (if it is a generic question.) are some of the basic questions you ask when meeting a new person. If you are the sort of person that hates these questions then in my eyes you are either antisocial or avoid uncomfortable situations with people you don't know. Life is all about new experiences and new adventures.

Where are you going?

What did that cost?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any leading question where you are backed into a corner.

Say you're at a party and someone gave you a lift there. You're having a good time and they come up (typically with partner) and ask 'So are you about ready to head off?' in that tone that suggests 'we're going'. You can't win.

When I was an ADF member, I never really liked wearing uniform in public, and often avoided it, but of course you often had to grab a few groceries on the way home or whatever. Always had the same tedious questions, but representing the government its best to play small talk to give a good image. It feels a little invasive when you walk down a street and every stranger you see has a vague idea of your profession/industry, particular if they all goggle at you as they walk past (when the new navy cams started appearing around the time of the TV show Sea Patrol, this happened a lot).

Young adult men often had the most irritatingly inquisitive questions, and being in the navy in non-naval locations tended to invite inquisitive questions.

Mostly this was all rather harmless, and the public is generally quite proud when they see the uniform (and little kids always find it an interesting sight), but there were times when you just wanted to go from A to B quickly and with a minimum of fuss, and you would have to fend off some unwelcome questions as delicately as possible.

I guess its something people in public life and celebrities have to deal with on a daily basis, and often a lot more intensely and personally. You just have to appreciate some of the positive comments, ignore the slight invasion of privacy.

Last edited:
First day of a test match "who's winning?"

what a bunch of campaigners in this thread. What kind of derelict is so far up their own arse that they get pissed off by being asked "how's uni mate?"... i love banal conversation.

What is there to say about uni?

Footy related one, but I hate when i'm sitting at the footy (at Etihad) and people ask "Why is the roof shut? It's such a clear night". Or they ask why it's shut for a twilight game when it's still light outside. People, please, it's not hard to understand that the roof is shut for ALL twilight and night games, and open occasionally on day games.

Work related one, when people come up to my register and ask why it's so busy. I don't ******* know, because people want to buy their groceries at this particular point in time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back