Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort as usual Snoop Dog :thumbsu: .............but.............the Carlton selections.

#19 Lamb before Marchbank? Not the path we're heading.
#28 Blakely before Menadue and Viojo-Rainbow? As above.
We can get another Garlett Gartlett. :)

Boekhorst with a late pick or a rookie pick might be OK if he is mature. Armfield has played 100 plus games as a hard running and mature recruit. Appears to have more footy smarts than Army.

One of the most reasonable and logically phantom drafts I've seen good job. For port glenn, nielson, Anderson and markov; Glenn I do agree I reckon he will just be out of our reach drummond we were apparently keen on last year. Nielson we've been linked to so good job there. Anderson and Markov yeah if they are the best available than fair enough gets pretty dodgey predicting our picks because who knows what can really happen in 2 weeks time. Wouldn't mind watts (hopefully not related to jack) good size and mark just needs time to gain some muscle which would come overtime in an afl system seems a good replacement for westhoff but as you say more back than forward.

Great read , good draft for the Baggers.
Lamb could end up a steal at 19 and Blakely at 28 is a very solid pick up .
Although I think we'll go with a Menadue type, as for the late picks I'd like Sam Bevan or Harry Dear if availble no problems with Tom Wilkinson with the other. Fantastic effort once again.
Ciao

Great read, thanks for the effort. Seems to be a real flavour of clubs having to value very different skills and qualities even at the top of the draft this year, so the "we're really happy, couldn't believe he was there at our pick" mantra that all clubs come out with immediately after the draft might actually be truer this year.

Thanks Snoop dog. I was hanging out for your draft.

No probs - happy with Fremantle selections?

I think the big issue for them is do they take one of Durdin or Goddard if there or grab a gun mid and wait until a bit later on to grab a key defender. I think there are a number of good tall backs in this draft who will be around from Rd 2 onwards (McDonald, Ramsay, Buykx-Smith, Neilson etc).

Awesome effort and a great result for Richmond.

Thanks

Think it highlights the depth of the draft. Duggan and Neal-Bullen are excellent players and knowing a few involved in the AIS can tell you there is big wraps on Duggan as a kid.

Smith will be a player but he will need to build his fitness before he is given a game would think. Blokes like Walsh and Deluca could walk straight in and Cripps could be very handy just needs to be consistent.

Not sure if seen mellington but he is a terrific type. Reminds of Jake Owen a bit at u18 level and have no doubt he will play very good state league footy at a min. Get some vision of Rick Cary.....he is v Jack Gunston like.

Geez I gave Richmond a lot of WA blokes!

really appreciate all your efforts. Great read. Also from a Freo point of view I would be very happy walking away with Goddard, Nelson and Cunico. All Vic country boys as well. The picks fill a need for us as Goddard would be a good replacement for Mcpharlin, Nelson would add to our midfield depth and Cunico looks like he could become a good rebounding defender or even wingman.

Couple of questions for you, I hadn't watched Cunico's highlights until I read this and he seems very impressive, where do you thin his best position at AFL level would be? And also do you think that Nelson could be groomed in to becoming a negating midfieler/tagger in the Crowley mould?

Yeah I think a question Freo recruiters might be asking is do we take Durdin or Goddard if they are there or go for an elite midfielder.

A reasonable hypothetical might be;

Option 1 - Goddard / Durdin and Nelson

or

Option 2 - De Goey / Langford and McDonald / Ramsay / Nielson

Re the players you have asked about;

Cunico - I think he could be more a wing / HF type. In saying that his early days may be off HB in the same way say a Paul Seedsman was developed and then pushed higher onto a wing. He has to be where you can use his pace and carry so it is probably more wing. I've seen a fair bit of him and he has really good foot skill and has a bit of flair as well so encouraging him to run fwd and his oppenent into dangerous places would be on his radar. Has a lot of scope. His big issue is filling out.

Nelson is one who I think is really under rated a bit. Terrific size and he is a good ball user and has speed and can run. I think a lot of people probably just saw him played as a defender at champs and he went well but you really need to see him more as a mid / HB type I think. Very impressive and whilst he could tag I think he should be given a crack at being a bit more offensive as he has some weapons. I think of Guthrie / Horlin-Smith as the types he might evolve into.

I did have suggested the Dockers would like a small defender and that is probably Manteit in the rookie. I see him as a pure HB type. He could go a lot higher in the draft and the kid Watts has really come on.

weller and gore would definitely help out our midfield.I am really hoping we get abbott too.rookie ruckman too
good work snoop!

Thank you.

I dont think you will go wrong at either of those selections as the quality runs to there and there will be players I have higher who will drop as well.

With Sheed there I think its more outside speed and skill so Weller, Cockatoo, Duggan, Langford would all be kids that would be int he mix. I didnt think Blakely was what they would probably be after at the first pick.

So many good inside ball winners in this draft I would wait til 2nd round when guys like Neal Bullen, Gore, Blakely, Nelson are around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First of all, awesome effort! This is probably the most thought that has been put into a phantom ND and RD I've seen. Whilst I'd be stoked with Marchback, I feel like we need a pure outside type that can kick goals more than Ellis. If we got Corey I wouldn't be complaining, but a Menadue/McLean/Garlett/Cavka would be more suited. In the RD I can't see us passing on Baulderstone, given he barracks for Essendon and our lack of ruck supplies. With our next pick I'd be bitterly disappointed if we passed on the best little blokes in the draft, Caleb Daniel and Jake Johansen.

Thanks and good post. I like getting those sort of suggestions.

I certainly thought about Marchbank and Essendon needs but he was just to good I think to let pass any further. He can be used in a number of roles but as you say there are plenty of good mids who will be available around then and could drop. I really like Cavka, Gartlett, Lamb and Menadue for that #20.

YOu are probably right to re a ruck but wouldnt you think the lad Tagliabue would be the one. In your VFL side been super impressive and his trajectory is very good. Might fix that one up for the final cut.

Can we swap Jack Lonie for Mitchell McGovern or Oleg Markov ?

Mate all i kept hearing from the WCE fans was we need a dynamic small fwd so when I did the draft and he was still there I thought time to hit him. I think he will be a terrific get and will suit that ground really well.

I agree on Markov. I do rate him higher but his injuries are going to hurt I suspect. McGovern will be interesting to and expect him to go but I always get lambasted when I give the good WA blokes to WCE or Freo.

Be interested where you think Abbott, McGovern, Walsh, Yarran, Winton and Watson go. I found them difficult to place.

Shane Yarran was recruited to subiaco after being released from jail in perth.

Was sentenced to 6 years jail at 18.

Got out played a season in the amateurs, then played for subi this year.

So he's not from the bush.

P.s. great work a lot of time as gone into this

thanks

yeah I am aware of all that. I just said up from the bush as think he was born in Armadale and didnt want to go into the stuff around jail etc in the bio.

Great effort SD. Thank you.

I think that whilst De Goey does not present as meeting a need, I thing our recruiting team would be happy if he was still there. Lots of pressure on out guys having traded down from 10-14 and De Goey would be an easy sell " wow we never expected he would still be there - see the slide did not hurt".

No doubt an excellent prospect and will be considered a bargain at 14.

Great effort as usual Snoop Dog :thumbsu: .............but.............the Carlton selections.

#19 Lamb before Marchbank? Not the path we're heading.
#28 Blakely before Menadue and Viojo-Rainbow? As above.

Good post and very plausible. Carlton was hard but was told that Carlton wanted mids with speed and skill. Must admit heard that from a few different sources as well (incl you recruiting guy) and thought was reasonable.

My own view is that Tom Lamb is probably one of the top 6-8 players on talent in this draft. He is an elite athlete, can play all over the place and has very good skills. He ticks a lot of boxes. If he is there at that selection I think it would be the best choice.

Blakely was just to good to let drop to much further and when I speak to people who are involved in this stuff for a living they tell me mids are your first priority in a rebuild and then get outside mids and then fwds. Its not as simple as that but that is kind of the plan you can see that with St Kilda, GWS as an example. To be fair I did swap he and Viojo v late. I think most Pie fans would be rapt to swap as well.

The logic I was using was you have Cripps and then to add Blakely really gives you two elite ball winners for the next 10-12 years and I think I'd prefer to go that way and then look for more outside types. Lamb is a bit like Goddard in some ways to and I think he might be that outside polish guy.

I guess if you were believers that Whiley and Graham would be good inside types then maybe could go another outside selection at #28.

Great job as always Snoop, I love reading your phantom draft each year. Would be happy with that as a Pies fan. Just one quick one. You have us promoting Frost with pick 85, but I didn't think we nominated him for upgrade this year. Can you confirm we are upgrading him?

Well I am confused by this because I was told he was given a new 2 year contract which I understood to mean he was automatically promoted but yet there has been no news of it so I suspect my mail was wrong.

He bloody well should have been. He would be my first choice defender at the moment.

I guess the logic is no need to upgrade when he can be listed for Scharenberg day 1 anyway.

What do think the pies need?

Really enjoyed that.

Terrific results for Melbourne as well :thumbsu:

Yeah I think melbourne dont lose do they. 2 terrific picks and I really would like to see Lever as one of those.

Do you worry McCartin / Hogan are very similar.

I reckon a really bold decision would be to take McCartin and Lever.

Great work as usual Snoop.

I'm glad that someone else rates Dan Butler as a draftee not a rookie.

From a Collingwood point of view I would be very happy.

One query I would have is both Buckley and Hine have stated we need to add more pace to the team. Varcoe adds some but I would think that we need some more (other than Freeman, Sinclair, etc. already on the list.)

Thanks pal.

Where are the big differences and who do you think have under rated to much.

Keitel I don't expect to go so high (more likely around pick 40, perhaps later would be my best guess).

Sean McLaren while Sydney need another key defender I'm not certain he goes that high although I understand the theory behind it.

D.McKenzie, Vickers-Willis, Lonie and Miller could be among those who could go higher. Howe and Drummond from the later rounds could be real risers also.

But in the most part I think you've got the draft positioning pretty much where they should be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back