Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well why dont you inform us all instead of saying nothing?

I'd have thought it was pretty obvious. Vegans generally have an ethical objection to utilizing/exploiting animals. To suggest they are hypocrites for not using leather makes no sense at all. I didn't think that'd need to be spelled out, really...

I'd have thought it was pretty obvious. Vegans generally have an ethical objection to utilizing/exploiting animals. To suggest they are hypocrites for not using leather makes no sense at all. I didn't think that'd need to be spelled out, really...

Right.

So just ignoring the industry solves everything does it?

How do they feel about deforestation and land degradation due to poor farming practice?

They're not environmentalists just because they can put a cute face on their ethics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415753470.682025.jpg

Jewish people. I don't even know if they exist in Tasmania.

Right.

So just ignoring the industry solves everything does it?

How do they feel about deforestation and land degradation due to poor farming practice?

They're not environmentalists just because they can put a cute face on their ethics.

View attachment 91922

ummmm....what?
tumblr_n7zzpd30aZ1qzdfwko1_400.gif

So many people willing to pay the $525 to have a meal at The Fat Duck restaurant in Melbourne. I'm not a big foodie but to spend $525 on a meal seems absolutely absurd.

I agree. Even if it's the best meal you could ever eat how can it be worth this? Maybe if I had money to burn it would be different but you wouldn't get me coughing up that for a meal. Happy to spend a fair bit for something special but $525? Tell 'em their dreamin'.

So many people willing to pay the $525 to have a meal at The Fat Duck restaurant in Melbourne. I'm not a big foodie but to spend $525 on a meal seems absolutely absurd.

For me personally I signed up for the ballot (and wasn't successful) because I've been following his cooking since before he became massively famous on television and have been a huge fan of his for a while. I see it as much more than just a meal and rather an experience and something that I'll only do once in my lifetime. The whole dining experience isn't just you receiving a 3 course dinner, its 15 at the and it's spread over 4-5 hours. To be actually able to taste everything from the book is also a driving factor as to why I signed up.

For me personally I signed up for the ballot (and wasn't successful) because I've been following his cooking since before he became massively famous on television and have been a huge fan of his for a while. I see it as much more than just a meal and rather an experience and something that I'll only do once in my lifetime. The whole dining experience isn't just you receiving a 3 course dinner, its 15 at the and it's spread over 4-5 hours. To be actually able to taste everything from the book is also a driving factor as to why I signed up.
What's on the menu?

ummmm....what?
tumblr_n7zzpd30aZ1qzdfwko1_400.gif

I make no apologies for being a meat eating gas guzzler who works in a toxic industry.

But i actually do things to help protect the environment. I have put my life and reputation and career on the line for it.

I dont just eat tofu, sing koombayas and hold hands with baby seals to pretend im making a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's on the menu?

Menu won't be identical to the one in Bray but some of these will either be on there or at 'Dinner by Heston Blumenthal' which opens after The Fat Duck closes.

- Hot and Iced Tea: It's tea thats hot and cold in the same glass. You drink from one side and its cold, drink from the other and its hot, drink from the middle and its both hot and cold.

- Egg and Bacon Icecream: Ice-cream is made in front of you using liquid nitrogen from a cracked egg (egg has been drained and filled with ice cream base), served with caramelised bacon and brioche that looks like bread

- Sound of the Sea: a seafood dish that's designed to look like the beach and is presented with an iPod that plays sea sounds while you eat.

- Meat Fruit: what looks like a mandarin for example, is actually chicken liver parfait

- Flaming Ice-cream: Ice-cream thats been set on fire but doesn't melt.

I also forgot to mention your also paying for the service and theatrics while you eat (the egg and bacon ice-cream), and a lot of his meals are designed to evoke certain memories by playing with all the senses (sound, smell, taste etc.) while also being incredibly innovative with different cooking techniques. I know its not going to appeal to everyone and its going to appear wanky to some people but it is what it is.

Menu won't be identical to the one in Bray but some of these will either be on there or at 'Dinner by Heston Blumenthal' which opens after The Fat Duck closes.

- Hot and Iced Tea: It's tea thats hot and cold in the same glass. You drink from one side and its cold, drink from the other and its hot, drink from the middle and its both hot and cold.

- Egg and Bacon Icecream: Ice-cream is made in front of you using liquid nitrogen from a cracked egg (egg has been drained and filled with ice cream base), served with caramelised bacon and brioche that looks like bread

- Sound of the Sea: a seafood dish that's designed to look like the beach and is presented with an iPod that plays sea sounds while you eat.

- Meat Fruit: what looks like a mandarin for example, is actually chicken liver parfait

- Flaming Ice-cream: Ice-cream thats been set on fire but doesn't melt.

I also forgot to mention your also paying for the service and theatrics while you eat (the egg and bacon ice-cream), and a lot of his meals are designed to evoke certain memories by playing with all the senses (sound, smell, taste etc.) while also being incredibly innovative with different cooking techniques. I know its not going to appeal to everyone and its going to appear wanky to some people but it is what it is.

does he have a passion for food?

I dont understand the whole fine dining experience. Gimme a huge parma over some over priced dish that consists of 1 scallop and a bunch of leaves placed on the plate with tweezers

I dont understand the whole fine dining experience. Gimme a huge parma over some over priced dish that consists of 1 scallop and a bunch of leaves placed on the plate with tweezers
I can cook a parmi and chips, I can't do the s**t he does, that's it's appeal to me.

15 courses even over 4-5 hours I could not do justice to so that is another reason why it doesn't appeal to me. Could not possibly eat that much at one sitting.

15 courses even over 4-5 hours I could not do justice to so that is another reason why it doesn't appeal to me. Could not possibly eat that much at one sitting.

The courses are probably so small that those 15 probably equal about what you would get in a normal main course anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back