Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think Spencer will become a solid ruck although I disagree about him having decent hands. He's never looked like a great mark when I've seen him. His work rate and fitness are his standout attributes.

His hands used to let him down but IIRC the few times he played this year he took a couple of solid marks.

And to top that off another poster who was there added:

"Taylor did say that it would be a brave club, that would recruit a player who has not played this whole year, after an ACL, with an early pick".

It will be out of Petracca, Brayshaw and McCartin. Perfect result in my eyes.

I take it Taylor also mentioned that Melbourne is a meek club. ;)

I think an AFL level ruckman needs two of three things.

- A good tap ruck
- A good mark
- A good kick (for a ruck, mainly for goal)

Any two of those and you've got a solid ruckman.

Spencer is a reasonable tap ruck and give effort.

Good article on the mature age VFL prospects for this years draft here.

Interesting that Josh Tynan is pegged as likely to get a second chance somewhere, after a good year at the Dolphins.

I'd be pretty happy to use #53 or one of the rookie picks on Ed Morris..

Eddie Morris (Casey Scorpions, 19, 178cm, 71kg)

In his first year with the Scorpions the Gippsland Power graduate developed into a dependable VFL midfielder, regularly going past 20 touches.

Tackling, clearance work and neat disposal are his strengths.

Morris is training at Melbourne ahead of the draft.

youngbear said:
Now that Walker has resigned with the Crows, I really want McCartin at 2 or 3 now.
Now that Walker has resigned, i really want MFC to resign Jones

Absolutely have to pick McCartin. And then he absolutely has to turn into a powerhouse forward while Petracca becomes a good solid player who never wins a flag.

Absolutely? what if Saints pick him first? then that will throw a spanner in your works.

I just say take what we can out of those three. Tho I do think we will get him but we cannot be 100% until Saints make their first pick.

Absolutely? what if Saints pick him first? then that will throw a spanner in your works.

I just say take what we can out of those three. Tho I do think we will get him but we cannot be 100% until Saints make their first pick.
I was absolutely being facetious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone think the saints will go with McCartin? They must really rate petracca as the next Judd or McCartin as overrated or else it seems stupid to pass over him

Happy to take him but there aren't quality power forwards every year available , other than hogan we had to pay draft picks for Clark and Dawes just to give us something

Does anyone think the saints will go with McCartin? They must really rate petracca as the next Judd or McCartin as overrated or else it seems stupid to pass over him

Happy to take him but there aren't quality power forwards every year available , other than hogan we had to pay draft picks for Clark and Dawes just to give us something

Always thought they would pick Petracca, then they traded Stanley. I still think they'll take Petracca, but no longer certain.

Either way, win for us. Petracca and Brayshaw or Brayshaw and McCartin is gold (fingers crossed we don't f*ck it up this time)

Yeah not too fussed, what's the forwards like in next year's draft? I mean if we get McCartin this year we are likely to get a gun mid next year draft. Where getting a gun forward are harder to come by. Plus let's not forget one of these picks is a compensation pick.

If we get Petracca he's a) More likely than McCartin to develop into a good player and b) Likely to have an impact in 2015, considering his size, contested ball game, and midfield upside. I think McCartin has a higher ceiling and is definitely a rarer commodity, but young KPP are always hazardous and at the risk of sounding like a 'draft pick=messiah crusader' Petracca could make us substantially better much sooner and actually allow our midfield to win clearances and be competitive. The Saints very possibly feel the same way.

You'd reckon they must be considering it (taking McCartin).

When they look at what the Bulldogs had to give up to trade for a quality young KPP, and the fact next years draft crop are full of mids - you can understand why they might do it.

You'd reckon they must be considering it (taking McCartin).

When they look at what the Bulldogs had to give up to trade for a quality young KPP, and the fact next years draft crop are full of mids - you can understand why they might do it.

and we still come out winning because we got Hogan in 2012

Yeah not too fussed, what's the forwards like in next year's draft? I mean if we get McCartin this year we are likely to get a gun mid next year draft. Where getting a gun forward are harder to come by. Plus let's not forget one of these picks is a compensation pick.

Next years drafts is looking pretty stacked for mids apparently. Not much for top end talls at this stage.

If we get Petracca he's a) More likely than McCartin to develop into a good player and b) Likely to have an impact in 2015, considering his size, contested ball game, and midfield upside. I think McCartin has a higher ceiling and is definitely a rarer commodity, but young KPP are always hazardous and at the risk of sounding like a 'draft pick=messiah crusader' Petracca could make us substantially better much sooner and actually allow our midfield to win clearances and be competitive. The Saints very possibly feel the same way.

I ask you this then
If you were a StKilda supporter who would you want to take

Being one midfielder short wont hurt you in the future, Being a KF short will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back